17' Series 17.56-1 Shakedown - problem with brake lights on van

AddItUp

Sep 29, 2013
Hi Guys

We just returned from the maiden trip in our brand new 17.56-1. We went to RACV Inverloch for 2 nights just to test things out before heading further afield. The park itself was awesome and we cant wait to go back again (we booked for the April school holidays).

We did experience a couple of issues. We checked the lights, etc as the last job before leaving home and it appeared the electric brakes weren't working. There was no humming noise from the hubs and the digital readout on the controller was not changing with the application of the brakes. I went for a test drive and the electric brakes weren't working. A few phones calls later, I took the tug in to the place that fitted the electric brakes (after unhitching, etc) and it turned out there was a loose wire. We drove to the park without a problem (although it was a few hours later than expected).

The second issue happened on the was back today. Once again we were checking the lights, etc just before leaving. This time the brake lights weren't working. I have a very limited knowledge of these things but I unplugged and plugged, checked fuses in the van, unplugged and plugged. The indicators and tail lights on the van were working. The brake lights on the tug were working (2010 Territory). As far as we know the brake lights were working on the way to the park (they certainly were when we left home anyway).

There happened to be a sparky staying at the site next to ours and he had a look. There was 12V to the plug on the car when the brake was applied. We undid a few screws and gained access to the wires inside the van plug and I think there was a drop in voltage when the brakes were applied, but I'm not sure what's supposed to happen.

We rang the RACV from the resort (haha), but they didn't want anything to do with a caravan. We rang Jayco Roadside Assist and they were no help at all.

Can anyone help with some suggestions on the possible cause and how to fix?

Thanks very much.

darcy305

Jul 24, 2011
Meadow Heights
G'day sometimes the pins on the van plug become compressed if you have been putting the plug in and out of the tug's socket . Try putting a fine screwdiver in the slots of the trailer pins to spread them slightly so you get good contact between tug & van.
Cheers

Danny

john hayward

Dec 31, 2012
I agree with Danny - has happened to me periodically and I think that wiggling the socket to remove from car compresses pins.

AddItUp

Sep 29, 2013
I tried the pins and that didn't help. But there was another post on here with a similar problem that was solved by switching on the battery switch.

Just went out and tried the battery switch...whoo hoo...brake lights work again!

It may have something to do with the battery for the brake safe system. Maybe when the battery for the brake safe gets low, the brake lights don't work, so you know and have to charge the battery.

I'm just glad to have brake lights again! :)

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
honestly i have no idea why this happens, ive never struck it myself, and in all the vans i've worked on the house battery has nothing to do with running lights at all, even the brake safe is independent of the house battery so i can't point the finger at it. I'd be more inclined to say it's a bad earth somewhere or maybe even a problem with the tug, but i can't see how the battery switch fixes it !!! is there a common denominator here ? same tug?, same dealer? same wiring eg. anderson for fridge, round 7 pin, same brake controller etc.
having said that i have seen issues with a few european tugs not liking LED lights on vans, but easy fixed with a resistor instead of a wiring harness adaptor from VW for $300, but still not affected by house battery. ....... weird ...

But if i had to guess .......... my monies on the wrong setup in the tug with the brake controller pickup from brake signal sucking the voltage down till van led's don't work, but don't ask me how the battery switch fixes this :)

Reactions: AddItUp

AddItUp

Sep 29, 2013
Thanks very much @DaveS Just to confuse the issue some more, I tried the lights again yesterday and they worked fine with the battery switch off! The only thing I did was connect to 240V at home with the battery switch on for a few days beforehand. I'll be checking with the dealer when we go in for our first service.

We have a 2010 Territory and got the van from Page Bros. No Anderson plug, just a flat 12 pin. Not sure of the brake controller, will have to check, but the dealer arranged for it to be fitted.

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
Thanks @AddItUp can you do me a favour next time you test it, and try with the fridge on 12v and off, i reckon it's voltage drop from the tug, also try it with the motor running and not. I guessing you will see a difference

cheers Dave

AddItUp

Sep 29, 2013
Thanks very much for your support @DaveS . I will run your tests next time I have a chance.

Cheers, Wayne