17.56.1 OB with the lot !!

paulie484

Apr 12, 2012
Perth WA
Well, it’s home !!

Picked up van on Saturday, me and the father in law left our place at 5.00am,….. back at 3.00pm…....big long day

Gave the van a good tow test along our South Western Highway here in WA. Perth to Manjimup 335k each way in a day…..slept like a baby Saturday night after a couple of celebratory christening beers at the dinette table !!

Pathy went a treat, was even sitting comfortably at 100kmh with some gnarly hills coming into Bridgetown which kicked the tug back to 80k at 3 to 3.5k revs whilst I tried to suss out which gear to drop back to (only had the Pathy since April and no real towing with it yet and still learning how she drives)

One gold moment, we hooked van on all ready to go and decide to put some air in the air bags to level everything out, as was looking a little saggy…...was at the guys workshop so he gets the air hose out:

He says: how much you wanna put in ?....

Think they only rated to 30psi’ …….I say

‘…nah, these things will go upto 100psi’ !! ‘ he replies

‘Ok??? !!..’

so in goes 70psi to each, van looking pretty level and good to go…roll out and I think, nah..I’m dead sure 30psi is max ….so we stop at a garage and I call the missus to check the paper work – sure enough, 30psi…so empty some out we do and back on we go !!.....will need to suss out hitch levels and everything else when get some time

Weighing slip in paperwork states:

axle weight = 1792
tow ball weight = 219
total weight = 2011kg

Will get some more pics this weekend of suspension and other shots for our records to post up

Kids already sussed out their beds, number one teenage daughter glanced around for 3 minutes, layed on the bed, claimed it then went back inside to tumblr and facebook or something simialr..…some people are just hard to please

…didn’t get any time to pour over van Sunday during the day as too busy digging the extra space need in the garden for it to fit !! Had camping buddies over in the arvo for more celebratory drinkies and happy to report, works a treat in that respect !!

Looks waaaay too huge and over the top to us at the moment as it hasn’t all sunk in yet !! :D

…and, still trying to get used to seeing a full proper van in the driveway – not a toasted sandwich trailer…….. just can’t get over how bloody tall it is !! ..and knowing the suspension is upgraded it’s not helping as of course I’m visualizing it to have lifted the unit another 300mm at least !! ha ha !! ….well maybe not that much ! anyone else have the simplicity setup and note how bloody tall it is ?

hopefully we get used to this 'massive brick' feeling and don’t feel sheepish rocking up to the powered manicured jumping pillow caravan parks we intend on visiting at this stage ! Might need that can of spray on dirt and a Pat Callinan hat ! - it's got Vic plates so can pretend we're backing up a end to end trip ?? ;)

Looking forward to some good trips away – already have three major ones booked until early next year !

Cheers

Paul
IMAG0347.jpgIMAG0350.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Congrats Paulie :tea: It does sit high, I like it :thumb:

Just a tip though, its best to pump up the airbags unladen as they dont like to be pumped up with a load on.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Fantastic find Paulie484!

About the only option you are missing is solar.

Over in the west - so many great places to go, so little time...

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
No such thing as an over-the-top Expanda, Paul. That's my story anyway. Mine lives on what was front lawn and screens house from street. A bit of garden remodeling is all part of the package. I moved the mailbox and gave myself a couple of meters clear beside the drive so I can reverse in easier and before neighbor (Avan'er) comes out to supervise. Get even by asking him about what he uses in his holding tank (he doesn't have an ensuite).

paulie484

Apr 12, 2012
Perth WA
ha ha !! our cul de sac has 3 vans in it (with another on the way - right next door too !!) so it's always a exciting time watching them come and go !! just like the caravan park entertainment !!

tho' I have the dubious task of getting this big 2470 wide lug into a gate with a clearance of 2700...that's to be attempted at a later date !! :) - will post pics of that up too just for some fun !

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Pity you're so far away. Could be cheap entertainment when you all decide to take off at same time.
Wife always wanted our front garden tidied up a bit. Letterbox and van both safer now.
Us Expanda owners are propping up more than the caravan industry–hardware and nursery also did all right out of me.
Drive extension.jpgVan-wrap.jpg

paulie484

Apr 12, 2012
Perth WA
finally some pics of the suspension as requested..

Attachments

• IMG_4108.JPG
    IMG_4108.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 296
  • IMG_4110.JPG
    IMG_4110.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 294