Electrical 12v drill

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Hi.

I'm currently contemplating mucking around with an old 12v drill. The battery has long since died.

My thinking is to use the drill itself and an Anderson plug extension, connected to Anderson plug on van, as an extra safety measure for small jobs.

I'm just not sure if it's worth the effort or if it will safe. I thought I might make up an Anderson plug cable to the drill itself, minus the battery.

Has anyone done this? Any issues? Any destructions?

I don't want to use it for drop down winding...tried that and can't be bothered...or anything apart from minor repairs and, as I have the Anderson plugs, the cable and the dead drill I thought I'd give it a go rather than just toss it. I hate waste!

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
I have heard of this mod before. What have you got to lose.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I have heard of this mod before. What have you got to lose.

Time I guess. That is something else I hate to waste.

I'll put this little project in the "maybe do it if I can be bothered" basket....but the old 12v drill nearly went to the dump today....so it's saved!

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Hi.

I'm currently contemplating mucking around with an old 12v drill. The battery has long since died.

My thinking is to use the drill itself and an Anderson plug extension, connected to Anderson plug on van, as an extra safety measure for small jobs.

I'm just not sure if it's worth the effort or if it will safe. I thought I might make up an Anderson plug cable to the drill itself, minus the battery.

Has anyone done this? Any issues? Any destructions?

I don't want to use it for drop down winding...tried that and can't be bothered...or anything apart from minor repairs and, as I have the Anderson plugs, the cable and the dead drill I thought I'd give it a go rather than just toss it. I hate waste!
Done that and can be used from car rear or from van. Very useful and with suitable socket can be used for drop down legs. Looooong cable needed though from front of van.

Reactions: DRW

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Thanks.

How did you wire up the drill? I haven't even checked yet...just contemplating and checking if feasible before I attempt it.

I wondered if solder on innards of the drill is strong enough as I can't go much beyond that with my limited skills. I need to check the terminals to see if, where, how to attach cable and, ideally, would prefer a removable plug rather than a long lead fluffing around the front boot. I think it would just get broken.

I've had the drill socket for the drop down legs for years but found it took as much time to set up the drill as to just wind down the legs.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Forgotten what I did inside the drill and it's now sealed up with silicone in true Jayco fashion. I might change it to an Anderson Plug immediately next to the drill and just have a long double ended Anderson lead that can also be used as an extension for the extra solar panel. I put an Anderson Plug on my air compressor and made up a short Anderson to alligator clamp lead for connecting to batteries to make these things more flexible in connection options. Actually the air compressor one isn't that successful as it draws too much and blows the van or car second battery fuses.
20160113_163155.jpg

Reactions: Dobbie and dagree

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
The old man did this mod to a 12v drill for drilling strainer posts when I was a kid. The battery would only last half of one post then take 6 hours to recharge so the reason for the mod (how far we have come with battery technology).
He just bared the wires and threaded them through one of those square rubber door stop that fitted perfectly in the drill and the other end clipped onto the Utes battery. Would use it like that for fencing and use the battery for other jobs.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Thanks!

I'll let you know if / when I have made progress.

But I'm now determined to give it a go.

Reactions: DRW

ploz

Sep 13, 2015
south west vic
Just surfing and found this. I have done this and it works great. I went to K mart and got a cheap 12V battery drill as most of the name brand stuff is 18v and it wont work as well with only 12v supply, think i paid $25. I unclipped the battery and unscrewed the top and pulled out the insides as they are just a heap of sub c size batteries soldered together and then i got a 12mm plastic cable gland, 10 meters of garden lighting cable and a lighter plug. drilled a hole in the side of the battery pack for the cable gland and soldered it to the old cables in side the pack and screwed it all back together, clip the pack back into the drill and presto. Works well and it has a good amount of power for a cheap drill. You just need to make sure you use cable with a good conductor size so you dont get to much voltage drop, not light speaker wire. Ive used it to drill half inch spade bits through 10 inch strainer posts and 13mm holes in 6mm plate steel no probs. With a trip to bunnings for the other bits all up it cost around $40.
The beauty of this is you have a drill ready to go anytime without having to charge it up or batteries dying after a few years.

Reactions: Bluey and G Daddy

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
Have done this with a 12V drill, but I took one of the battery packs and removed the batteries and connected a lead to the terminals and then drilled a hole in the bottom etc as described by ploz. Placed a cig. lighter connector on the other end. Plug the battery and lead in as normal and not change to the drill.
If you wanted to get complex/gold plate/etc you could get an old battery case for your 18V drill and install a suitable 12V to 18V DC to DC converter and use it with the latest and greatest.

I'll stick with the 12V, which was an original and over 20 year old but still a good drill. Battery packs completely dead.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I like!

Still haven't had a go at mine but was thinking of an Anderson plug rather than cigar socket. I'd be less likely to break it.

Anyone used the Anderson for this?

Another thing on the 'to do' list.