Just Browsing 12 Volt Fridges

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
So.....slightly off topic but....

:focus:

Has anyone calculated / monitored the power draw for bigger fridges while on 12v.....or even the Dometic 150l?

I know it's variable depending on conditions.....ambient temp, temp inside when 12v turned on, temp of contents etcetcetc ....but I realise I never ever monitored ours and now I need to be sure we're not heading for power problems if we choose the Thetford 185 three way.

(Just the 12v draw as I'm relatively happy with the gas usage...not ecstatic but philosophical)

I've had conflicting info as some suggest possible average of 1.6 ah in "normal" conditions, other info listed 16....I'm hoping 1.6 and the 16 is just a wrong decimal point! But it would seem sensible to do some further checking.

Also, I'm not interested in the compressor type as we don't want to move to a twin axle van and want to keep weight down, solar to a reasonable minimal amount and no extra battery. There are only two of us to cater for and anything bigger would be overkill.

More people - bigger fridge - more solar - more battery requirements - more weight - bigger van

Does anyone run a Thetford?

I live in hope.

Not trying to hijack thread @NoWorries but it's an interesting topic and I need some help!

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
the 150lt 3way used 16 ah (note NO decimal point) and will not keep it at temp from a battery
This is why they are almost never hooked up to the house battery and wired straight to the car

a 12v fridge (compressor Type) will draw about 6 ah max and keep the fridge at a proper temp.

So if you have a 3 way fridge and no 240v then run it on Gas

Reactions: Drover

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Ok.

I know and have always done some of the above...always wired 12v to vehicle, never to van battery and with isolator.....tick

I always want it to run on gas when free camping....always done that! Tick

What I'm unsure of is the power draw required and have (from the Thetford site) the info that 4.3 kW/24 hours is required. I think that's close to 15 or 16 amps?
Some where else suggested the 1.6 ah for probably 12 hours.

Physics is not my strong point, hence my question but I've installed and used 12v stuff for years.

Maybe I'm second guessing but it's often the small detail that is overlooked

So....am I correct in assuming that, under normal conditions, the 100ah battery will be sufficient if the solar input is sufficient ....up to 240w of solar....and the minimal power draw from lights etc?

The Anderson plug setup we have on the car will trickle charge, as usual so I'm not concerned about that. It's all protected and has worked faultlessly for years.

WHHEMI

Jan 18, 2016
Yarra Valley
I Tell you what it is a B:eek-53:Ch of a job changing over.
The fridge only just comes out of the hole, then you have to lift it over the lounge and then B@#$#@@ it will not go through the door.
You have to remove the door and the panel undo the switches and dials and then remove the trim.

Make sure you have everything covered in cloth as everything on the fridge is sharp and the trim on the drawers/cupboards are paper thin
I scratches the buggery out of a drawer but luckily it is the drawer that is being removed for the larger fridge.

Now what do I do with this hole ???
View attachment 45537
Might get a off cut from a caravan repair place (when they cut a hole for a hatch or speaker) and then see if my fiber glassing skills are still up there.
Or I could put a small hatch and cut a hole in the back of the fridge can size ;)

Why not remove canvas from bed area and bring it out the front.

Reactions: Drover