18' Series 12 pin plug melted

Chaser

Sep 3, 2013
Hi two weeks ago suddenly my 12 pin plug melted the plastic around pin 10 the large earth I believe, not sure why after 3 years this has suddenly happened on a relitively short 90 minute journey? I think I need to fit an anderson to this instead any advise accepted.
Cheers
Chaser

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
Yeah good excuse to fit an Anderson plug. Possibly had a bad connection , dirty or loose and generated a lot of heat. Anderson plug is easy to fit so would be an easy fix.

Reactions: Chaser

Chaser

Sep 3, 2013
Thanks JT76, I thought that would be the best solution I use one already for the portable solar panel connection, so I intend to fit the wire that go to the frdge and the earth so pins 9 and 10 to the anderson plug as the fridge would be the biggest draw on the tug.

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Most likely cause is a bad / poor connection creating a resistance which equals heat. I agree with @JT76, an Anderson connector should prevent this from happening again.
Cheers
Nick

Reactions: Chaser

Chaser

Sep 3, 2013
Thanks Dagree, I intend to after work tomorrow before needing van for the weekend!

Reactions: dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Mine lasted for a few years then had a meltdown, the poor connection is usually caused because you need to wriggle the plug to connect and disconnect, this can close some pins which combined with a heavy cable pulling on the connection gives a loose join and it's cook time, chuck it and go a 7 and anderson. You can get away with just putting your fridge cables via the anderson and the 12 will work fine as the other pins don't have much draw.