What CB do you recommend and WHY? Highway Driving and Offroad.

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Hi All,
I need all your comments on a CB selection. Mostly for Highway driving and also I want good a good range. Will go for a 80 channel.
Also what is a good aerial (6.6 etc).
I look forward to your valued comments.
Pictures were taken at a local AUTOBARN of GME and Uniden CB's.
Thanks in advanced.
Thanks
Deano
IMG_0870.jpgIMG_0868.JPG

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
If I was to buy another radio (currently have a 40 channnel Uniden with remote head and scanner) I would go for the UH7760NB the one above with the remote handpiece. For ease of installation and use, If you don't want to spend that much go for one with a remote head, they are all much of muchness these days as long as its 5Watts.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I currently have a 40 channel Uniden with a remote handset similar to the 7760NB unit. I can't comment on the above selections directly other than to say stick with Uniden/GME/Icom models. If/when I upgrade to an 80 channel, I'd probably not go with Uniden again though. Although it has performed faultlessly, there was no possible upgrade to 80 channel, unlike the other brands. So for future upgrades (which may or may not happen, depending who you talk to) I don't want to get stuck with another un-upgradable unit.

However, whatever I get will have the remote handset again. My main unit is hidden under the driver's seat, with the handset only on the dash. I went that option as there isn't a lot of mounting room in the pathy. Thus controlled by the handset, with both mike and speaker in the same. (I'm not sure if other brands have a speaker in the their handsets tho)

Antennas will depend how and where you intend to mount it. You have 'ground dependent' and 'independent'. Independent means you can mount it on the likes of a bullbar, dependent means to work well it needs to use horizontal areas such as roof or bonnet as a 'reflector plate' and should be mounted in such places. However, even ground independent antennas are affected by the vehicle body. If mounting on the bullbar for instance, the greatest signal strength will be towards the rear, due to the metal of the vehicle behind it. Likewise mounting on the rear bar, make the greater strength to the front. Personally, I've never noticed an issue on either the tracks, or the open road.

The length and type of antenna (whip, spring, fibreglass) is to your preference, but if 6.6 db, they pretty much perform the same. When I bought my antenna, it was a pack that came with a short 3db, and a longer 6db. 6db has a greater horizontal range, but they tend to be a flatter wavelength and can be blocked by hills. 3db has less distance range, but is less likely to be blocked. There is a good description somewhere - I'll try to find it. All signals can be affected by hills, buildings and the like, and is classed as a 'line-of-sight' signal.

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
BM, Shads & SD, thanks heaps for your input.
At least I can look back and relate to your comments when I am ready to purchase.
Surely there are others out there with CB's....... I'll keep asking the question.
Hey SD, nice diagram from the GME catalogue.
Cheers
Deano

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
I've been using a GME TX4400 for 6-7 years, and apart from the outer covering on the mike cord falling apart, have not had any problems ( replacement mike was $35 if I remember correctly). It's currently in a third vehicle. Not having a remote handset I had to fit a top console in the cruiser, so I had somewhere to put it. I can let the mike hang down and it's close to hand.

straydingo covered the subject very well. Stay with the brands he recommended, the last thing you want is to have it fail, which will usually happen at a bad time. I did a lot of looking about which antenna to use and ended up with, a GME and am not sure of the db. Seemed to be best fit for my application, but have not had a chance to use it in anger. Can't see it in the brochure but had a feeling it was 4.6 db or thereabouts.

This link has a good article on antennae on page 5.

http://www.gme.net.au/public/pdf/brochures/antennaslr.pdf

Oops, sorry about that, just saw straydingo has already shown this page.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I have a son-in-law who has owned his own radio company supplying to and servicing rural fire brigades and other emergency services for more than 20 years and I recently asked him this same question and his reply was
"Radio ICOM 440N 80 channel
Antenna Elevated feed "
I am not sure what an 'elevated feed antenna' is but he can get the lot for me at a reasonable price although the Icom is quite a bit dearer than GMG and Uniden, about $499 retail.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
I have the 7700nb (the last one in Deano's picture group) the microphone connects with a clip the same as on a telephone or computer LAN cable and the clip that holds it in the unit has broken, still don't know how I'm going to fix it

Izzya123

Mar 18, 2011
Mount Martha, Victoria
Hi Deano,

Ive been told having a CB is a must for offroad, but do we need one for just highway use & the occasional dirt road getting to & from caravan parks??

Just interested in your thoughts as we are doing a trip to NT & WA from Vic shortly.

Izzy

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
moranbahweather.com
I have the 7700nb (the last one in Deano's picture group) the microphone connects with a clip the same as on a telephone or computer LAN cable and the clip that holds it in the unit has broken, still don't know how I'm going to fix it

if its just the plug it can be replaced... pitty your nowhere near here as I have all the tools and bits to do it. But any technician that does data/phone work should be able to do it for you for nothing.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
moranbahweather.com
Hi Deano,

Ive been told having a CB is a must for offroad, but do we need one for just highway use & the occasional dirt road getting to & from caravan parks??

Just interested in your thoughts as we are doing a trip to NT & WA from Vic shortly.

Izzy

I find invaluable for normal driving where we are, you can speak directly to the trucks to tell them your passing or just listen into their conversations regarding road conditions, incidents, Police activity, etc.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
if its just the plug it can be replaced... pitty your nowhere near here as I have all the tools and bits to do it. But any technician that does data/phone work should be able to do it for you for nothing.
Cheers Bigman It's the female end on the CB itself that is broken the clip on the Mic is still intact I'll get the urge to pull it apart (eventually) and see if I can fix it

seanparky

Jul 19, 2012
Brisbane
Hi Deano Im new to this site and have just been reading posts. Im an auto electrician by trade and have been fitting UHF's for quite some time now. I hope i can help. Im a big fan of GME. Like the others have said Radios these days are much the same but you want a 5watt radio. Myself i prefer the tx3500. The bigest thing is antenna choice. Beleive it or not there are a few to choose from and depending what you want. Along the highway or rugged terrain, it all depends on the gain of the antenna. Here is a link that should help. Id go for a AE4018k2/WK2...http://www.gme.net.au/public/pdf/brochures/antennaslr.pdf Where you mount is also important but thats why i reccomend this aerial. It universal. I hope i have helped. Im hoping when the wife lets me buy a 16.49.3b OB.