Weight distribution hitches

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I figure I'm going to need to get a WDH when the 17.56 arrives. Having the Swan, I know nothing about them, and have a few newbie questions.
Looking on the web there are several different sizes available.
How do I what I need? Are they all the same, or is it based on weight, vehicle, draw bar length?
Whats the difference between a 2 bar or 4 bar equaliser?
Am I able to fit it myself, or should a yard do the initial setup?
Is it something I can buy now (while on special in some places) or do I need the van first?
Any difference in brand quality (eazlift/Haymen Reese) or is that a Ford/Holden type argument?
I have a Pathfinder, which currently does not have a tyre hanging off the back like some. This will change in the near future with a swing away bar. Would that change the length of head section or anything?

Likewise a sway bar - wait to see if needed, or is there a minimum requirement for van weight/size etc?

Thanks in advance
Andrew

bully66672

Jun 30, 2011
Melbourne
Good evening all,
I currently tow a 17.56-2 with a 100 series land cruiser.
I use the Hayman Reece 550 hitch.
I have had this unit for around 10 years now and it is excellent.
This unit would be large enough for your van.
I have friends and family that also use these hitches and have never had any issues.
The units that utilize 2 & 4 bars will also do the job and i would expect this size van you would need the 4 bar unit.
Personally I would invest in the Hayman Reece unit and you should have it for life if required.
Weight distribution hitches are simple to use once you set them up. I would suggest you get your dealer to help with the initial setup. You will also find that the dealer can probably do you a reasonable deal on this item if you haggle a little. I have seen these units on eBay.

Cheers

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
The Hayman Reece 550 has now been upgraded to 600 and the 750 to 800
The 550/600 is ample for your van.
I started with the Eza-Lift but sold it had went to Hayman Reece mainly because the adjustments are finer and better suited my arrangement.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day Andrew. As Bushman said, you would need the 600 if buying new, 550 if buying second hand.

I had a mini system on an A'Van but one of the bars bent. The van had a ball weight of 85kg and the bars were rated at 80kg so I voided my warranty. But I did not like the system as, when connecting or disconnecting the ends of the bars dragged on the ground making it extremely difficult to put the bars into their bracket, especially if the ground was uneven.

The 550 can be fitted DIY as it is very straight forward and the instructions are very explicit. I did buy mine before I bought the van and the dealer did set it up for me so if you can arrange this it would be an advantage.

Have a look at the HR website http://www.haymanreese.com.au/products/weightdistributionsystems.htm it explains their different bars.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
looking at HR website, at the 600, they list two bar lengths - 28" and 30" spring bars. Does it matter which length? Is the longer for the heavier end of the ball weight rangeetc, or something else?

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Eazylift.jpg

I have the ezylift system, for the simple fact that it is its cheaper price, better quality made, better that the Old Ausie Reese hitch which is now made in China and the quality is just not there anymore compared to the Eazylift.

wizzerwazza

Sep 20, 2010
perth, nor
I have just bought a trojan load leveller rated to 160kg for my expanda (16.49.1). Will be using it in the next week for the first time so will give a report on it in a couple of weeks. It cost $148 from Repco. Trojan also do one rated to 240kg. I found it a piece of cake to install.

http://www.trojanparts.com.au/index.asp?PageID=2145878724

cheers
wizzer

Back from a 800km trip using the trojan for the first time. Gotta say it did make a difference. Its working at near its max load so maybe didn't make a huge difference but i could feel the car felt more "sure" on the road. The front of car didn't tend to wander around as much and the braking felt better.

100_8603.jpg
100_8602.jpg

wizzer

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
looking at HR website, at the 600, they list two bar lengths - 28" and 30" spring bars. Does it matter which length? Is the longer for the heavier end of the ball weight rangeetc, or something else?

I asked that with a HR tech enquiry the answer they sent is below....

"Thank you for your enquiry regarding the use of a Weight Distribution Hitch. With your van weighing no more than 1800kgs then I would suggest that the ball weight of the van would be somewhere between 160-200kgs, with this ball weight the 600lb system is the most suitable. The complete range of WDH's fits all standard width chassis'. The reason for the two different lengths bars is to allow for any possible interference with the location of the snap up brackets from things like the jockey wheel or A Frame support beams.
I hope this information is useful to you and if I can assist you any further please feel free to contact me."

so it looks like the length is only to change where it sits on the frame.

Anyone in Brisbane Speedy exhaust and towbars has the 600lb WDS for $585, best price i have seen up this way so far.

their ebay page is http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hayman-R...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27bc2f22ec

wizzerwazza

Sep 20, 2010
perth, nor
has anyone seen or have pictures of a WDH with a tregg hitch? I have been looking :ranger: but nothing yet (only for onroad use of course):nono:

Have a look at the post at the bottom of this page by "Ron and Shirley"
http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5709&start=140
there is a pic and small explanation of the tregg and wdh.

I have actually changed my hitch back to a normal ball type so i could get a wdh. Wasn't comfortable modifing the trigg receiver in my case.
I'll just put the trigg back on if I'm going to do a trip with heaps of .
cheers
wizzer

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Yeah as posted above, you can use a WDH with a Tregg using the adaptor plate, I did see a stall selling them at a show but have no idea who they were despite buying my hitch lock from them.