Tyre Pressure Monitors

Akil

Nov 16, 2016
Perth
Before we take off up north I would like to get a tyre pressure monitor to keep an eye on the van (dual axle 22.68-1 OB). My concern is not noticing that I have lost one tyre (slow leak) and then loosing another due to the increased load.

Before I go an spend some hard earned cash I thought I would see what others are using and how they perform. I'm most interested to see how they perform over the distance between the car and the van.

- Ian

Wombat6

Aug 27, 2016
Melbourne
Ian, like you I also wanted to be able to monitor the tyre pressures on our 20.64 OB Expanda. After some research I settled on the Gator TPMS which would work with my iPhone. Whilst there were initial problems locating the iPhone app, these were solved. The sensors were easy to attach to the valves. The only problem I have is that the transmitor does not send out a strong signal so with it pluged into a power supply in the van my phone beside me in the car only just gets the signal and so every now and again comes up with lost signal. However, on the whole it works well, telling me the tyre pressure and temperature and will alert me if I get a puncture in one tyre.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I have a TPMS which monitors the 4 tyres on the tug and it's 2 spares, and when the van is connected it monitors the 5 on the van.

I have internal sensors on every wheel and ran an antenna down to the rear of the tug to cover the signal for the van.

Great system, allow me to set 2 different pressure for car and van and to select when towing or not.

Same as this one below

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/162449743895

Johnanbev

Jul 7, 2013
Sunbury VIC.
Our TPMS is a TyreGuard 400, had it for 4 years and no problems.
Monitors up to 24 wheels, pressure and temperature of each individual tyre. Individual tyre minimum
pressure can be set.
Senders screw onto valve stems and can be anti theft locked.
Wireless connectivity from the van to the tug is no problem, off memory I think they are good
for 30 metres.
John

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We got a set of Safety Dave's ones and a 22.68 no problems. Yes picked up a few slow leaks.
Got the Safety Dave as we have the camera and when we have a problem with it was no hassle getting it fixed.
Could of gone some cheap ebay ones (Probably the exactly same) although rather have some local warranty.

Reactions: Dobbie

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
After a couple of (now suspect) postive reviews I bought the Masten's TP-05SI from DigOptions. It didnt appear to working correctly from day one but a phone call assured me it was doing its magic subtly. Cut a long story short with numerous unanswered and slow responses, along with some miss-information I finally decided it was a piece of expensive crap. After a lot of jerking around and being jerked around they told me they'd had a lot of trouble with them ... but continued the charade. The device only put on a lovely theatrical display, but was in fact actually monitoring nothing. I lost all faith in them.

The final straw was one morning I reduce the tyre pressure from 50lb to 25lb, and not one of the 4 sensors alarmed. In disgust I removed the sensors and threw them in the plastic bucket in the back seat, but because we were deflating mid drive to go off road I just left the display mounted and plugged in. The following morning around smoko one of the 4 sensors sitting in the back seat bucket realised there was no tyre pressure and alarmed .... nice

The only positive that came out of it was ultimately they agreed to take it take and refund me, but only after more than acceptable interference.

Last edited:

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Tyre pressure monitors are great, we have a set of 8 Sensa brand which are mounted on the rim inside the tyre, with a huge stainless steel hose clamp. They are well protected and each sensor is suppose to have about 5 year battery life. Once fitted they are great, a bit of a pain to get fitted, the tyre is removed and clamp mounted on rim and then tyre balanced, but once on they just work. I suppose when we need to replace the tyres on the van we will need new sensors as the batteries may be at the end of their life.

We have a single axel van so we got sensors for both spares which we swap with van tyres each 10,000K the receiver display shows the 8 tyres, sometimes the spares on the rear of the van do not show, but eventually they show up. The 6 tyres in contact with the ground are displayed nearly all the time, sometimes one on the van disappears, but we have the receiver antenna mounted inside on our cargo barrier. It probably should be mounted outside.

We bought our set from Hannibal Safari in Brisbane and the technical support is excellent. They are not cheap, but once set up work well and alarms can be set for different pressures and temperatures by the user, if a sudden drop in pressure occurs they sound an alarm and turn on a light. So far we have not had a serious problem with our tyres, so no alarm, but we check the pressures each time we start up and after a about ½ hr of driving. The sensors also detect temperature which is measured from the rim, so can give and indication of brake or bearing issues, the temp is really interesting when you come down a steep slope like Talbingo Mtn in the Snowies. The last time we came down it, we got a warning light, but no alarm as the rear brakes on the tow got a bit warm, the temp got to one of our preset triggers, so a light came on. so wound the brakes up on the van and all ok.

https://mr4x4.com.au/gear-install-sensatyre/

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Have looked at them, talked to folks with them and come to the conclusion that if they work and it's a big IF, they are great but since most don't check their tyres anyway I suppose they might help.....I look at my tyres for wear and tear a couple of times daily while checking hub temp, check pressure every few days....It seems very few check them once they have a TPMS system fitted and some while checking the van never look at the Tug, while handy I think they make a lot lazy but then they probably never checked things after leaving home anyway.
Walk around the van, sniff the air and you will smell an underinflated tyre, you can even find it with your hand..............old school.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Fo
Have looked at them, talked to folks with them and come to the conclusion that if they work and it's a big IF, they are great but since most don't check their tyres anyway I suppose they might help.....I look at my tyres for wear and tear a couple of times daily while checking hub temp, check pressure every few days....It seems very few check them once they have a TPMS system fitted and some while checking the van never look at the Tug, while handy I think they make a lot lazy but then they probably never checked things after leaving home anyway.
Walk around the van, sniff the air and you will smell an underinflated tyre, you can even find it with your hand..............old school.

All good methods, I have used and still occasionally use, but I do like I do not have to stop and get out of the tow to check tyre pressures and temp. It is usually the co-drivers job to check when we are driving.

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
But I usually find the nail before it causes the alarm.......I would use them but so many won't do the basic checks once they get fitted and then when it is too hot or going down don't know what to do anyway...... If you don't look you won't see the bubble, split, chunk missing. Not against any tech just so many rely on it without any knowledge.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Uncle Dinosaur @Drover
Teknology wont kill you
its learning how to use it that will

yeah, I'm the same, check tyres before leaving, first stop anywhere I check hubs and tyres
check water and oil every morning when travelling

old habits never die

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Hey, I'm into the tech just saying too many folk rely on it totally, combined with a bit of hands on you can find the problem before it becomes a big problem just leaving things till the light flashed and bell rings is often too late........just saying.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Looked at those "Tyre Dog" ones a couple of years ago,
and as there was no ready feedback at the time, an the cost was - ummm incredible for what they were to say the least

so I've not bothered

not to say they are not any good, just my short arms / long pocket syndrome