Electrical TV Arial

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Replacement for current roof top job I would go a Winegard Snow Flake or a Saturn, both will cover horizontal or vertical transmission.....

and I found my write up; https://expandasdownunder.com/threads/tv-reception-a-rehash.9708/

If its one for on a pole outside then a Foldaway Antennae is the ducks then, there the ones that look like a bit of left over sparkies conduit knocked together.....

1611890262568.png

Reactions: 1DayIll

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Ok, i am not after a Sat dish so that is out but I would like good quality and a good working TV Antenna. What are your suggestions please?
Hi @1DayIll , from my own experience I found that the Tall Boy fold up antennae and pole (as shown in @Drover 's picture) was not good enough to get reliable reception even with a mast head amplifier. So I went for a half wave type with a 14 volt mast head amp (also King Ray) powered by van battery and that improved things a lot. But still had occasional drop outs, so recently went the whole hog and purchased a full wave type as per link. I still use the plastic poles from Tall Boy which when put together , I can attach to clips on side of my van. This allows me to raise the antenna portion quite high above other nearby full height vans. The tubular plastic poles can be stored away in the tube provided and the full wave antennae can be folded slightly to reduce size and then it is laid across the top of other stuff in back of tug or could be placed on bed inside for travelling. Maybe not for everyone, but suits me and fits okay with Penguin and works in all areas too. A good mast head amp (King Ray) is essential for good stable reception in most places as is good quality co-ax and fittings. The ones you see on the top of the later vans (look like two Maltese crosses , one above the other) are in fact full wave type with built in amplifiers. Depends how much you wish to spend and how important television reception is to you, where ever you are.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Oh yeah, one of those household jobs are good gear just turn on side depending on signal, needs its own box but do a great job...The small yagis are good as well but a pain to stow and if left up but out of way vibration kills them.....part of mine is still down Narrandra way...with the quality of FTA I wouldnt spend a lot and with TV now at a higher frequency everything between you and the tower is a hinderance.... I use an ACMA map to find the towers phone and TV...well mostly phone as I can have my dish tuned in quick.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Oh yeah, one of those household jobs are good gear just turn on side depending on signal, needs its own box but do a great job...The small yagis are good as well but a pain to stow and if left up but out of way vibration kills them.....part of mine is still down Narrandra way...with the quality of FTA I wouldnt spend a lot and with TV now at a higher frequency everything between you and the tower is a hinderance.... I use an ACMA map to find the towers phone and TV...well mostly phone as I can have my dish tuned in quick.
Agreed @Drover . Certainly not as good set up as a sat dish for setting up nor as easy as turning the snow flake type around on top of van, but does the job well and did not cost me the earth. So, in a little van like mine , one has to put up with a little more in storage and setting up!

Reactions: 1DayIll

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Agreed @Drover . Certainly not as good set up as a sat dish for setting up nor as easy as turning the snow flake type around on top of van, but does the job well and did not cost me the earth. So, in a little van like mine , one has to put up with a little more in storage and setting up!
For sure, for sure, I could see no sense in setting up a wind up job afterwards, I would be going the pole job thats what I had on our camper...Way back in the dark ages we built a ciot hanger yagi to aim at a distant tower to get the footy on a small b/w tele running off the car battery...eskys with ice as fridges out bush werent invented, unless it was kero.

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Hi @1DayIll , from my own experience I found that the Tall Boy fold up antennae and pole (as shown in @Drover 's picture) was not good enough to get reliable reception even with a mast head amplifier. So I went for a half wave type with a 14 volt mast head amp (also King Ray) powered by van battery and that improved things a lot. But still had occasional drop outs, so recently went the whole hog and purchased a full wave type as per link. I still use the plastic poles from Tall Boy which when put together , I can attach to clips on side of my van. This allows me to raise the antenna portion quite high above other nearby full height vans. The tubular plastic poles can be stored away in the tube provided and the full wave antennae can be folded slightly to reduce size and then it is laid across the top of other stuff in back of tug or could be placed on bed inside for travelling. Maybe not for everyone, but suits me and fits okay with Penguin and works in all areas too. A good mast head amp (King Ray) is essential for good stable reception in most places as is good quality co-ax and fittings. The ones you see on the top of the later vans (look like two Maltese crosses , one above the other) are in fact full wave type with built in amplifiers. Depends how much you wish to spend and how important television reception is to you, where ever you are.

Thanks for this great feedback.

Reactions: Boots in Action

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Replacement for current roof top job I would go a Winegard Snow Flake or a Saturn, both will cover horizontal or vertical transmission.....

and I found my write up; https://expandasdownunder.com/threads/tv-reception-a-rehash.9708/

If its one for on a pole outside then a Foldaway Antennae is the ducks then, there the ones that look like a bit of left over sparkies conduit knocked together.....

View attachment 66350
Hi,

yeh I dont have one on the roof at the moment and so the pole option is the way to go for me.

Thanks for the great feedback