Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Found this recently, note in NSW your GCM comes into play

Screenshot_20180624-173844.png

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
Actually the WA law is anyone towing a trailer/van are supposed to drive at 10kmh below the signed speed limit, ie 50 is a 60 zone, 100 in 110... But I have never herd of anyone being charged.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Actually the WA law is anyone towing a trailer/van are supposed to drive at 10kmh below the signed speed limit, ie 50 is a 60 zone, 100 in 110... But I have never herd of anyone being charged.

Possibly an Urban Myth that one, the WA regs state
" When towing a trailer or caravan the maximum speed at which you may tow is 100 kilometres per hour. You must of course obey the posted speed limits. "

Personally I think anyone who wants to tow a van at 110kph is a DH ..................... end of story......( I've got a couple of million Km's under the belt, dragging all sorts of things, it can be scary when things go pear)

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
You might be on the money there Ian but I am guilty of pushing the envelope at times easecially passing triples but having too much power it gets over the limit quite quickly

Reactions: Drover

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Knew WA was 100kmh, tas used to be 90kmh but seems that got changed.
But the article did learn me that 100kmh in NSW.... after how many km driven up there?

What wasn't stated but is on NSWs RMS website: "For certain road conditions, such as sharp bends, steep descents and winding roads, special speed limit signs may be posted for trucks, road trains and buses. You must not drive at a speed greater than the speed shown on the sign."
I guess 'advisory' speeds ain't advisory for cvanners.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Possibly an Urban Myth that one, the WA regs state
" When towing a trailer or caravan the maximum speed at which you may tow is 100 kilometres per hour. You must of course obey the posted speed limits. "

Personally I think anyone who wants to tow a van at 110kph is a DH ..................... end of story......( I've got a couple of million Km's under the belt, dragging all sorts of things, it can be scary when things go pear)
Yup, Im with you.

Reactions: Drover and DRW

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
You might be on the money there Ian but I am guilty of pushing the envelope at times easecially passing triples but having too much power it gets over the limit quite quickly

I think weve all been guilty of that at times...

Most interesting thread as I had recently viewed an article on it and thought one day they might all sing from the same song sheet ....................... I wish for a Lotto win also.........

Reactions: DRW and Bushman

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We sit just under 100 or slower if conditions do not allow
I know NT they have no speed limit in places and we got overtaken a few times by people going a lot faster then 100 with a van ;)
Their choice

NSW on Hume we overtaken many times by vans that go past quick as well ;)

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I know NT they have no speed limit in places and we got overtaken a few times by people going a lot faster then 100 with a van ;)
Their choice

The free for all open speed limit in NT was, thankfully, poo poo'ed many years ago. Max speed limit were introduced and bought NT into line with the other states.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Sections of the Stuart Highway now have an open speed limit again

There was no absolute speed limit in the Northern Territory before 1 January 2007 but maximum speed limits are now posted on some road sections. Drivers, previously, were simply required to drive at a safe speed to suit the conditions. Thus, the Northern Territory section of the Stuart Highway had no speed limits at all. The Northern Territory traffic laws were updated from 1 January 2007 to be similar to the rest of Australia. This included placing a speed limit on all roads (130 km/h or 81 mph on major highways such as the Stuart Highway) and significantly increasing penalties for speeding.

In October 2013 the NT Government announced a trial period of reverting to an open speed limit on the 200 km (120 mi) stretch between Alice Springs and Barrow Creek, beginning 1 February 2014. In September 2015, following the conclusion of the trial, a 276 km (171 mi) stretch of the highway had its speed limits permamently derestricted.

As of November 2016, a speed limit has been reinstated, with the maximum speed now being 130 km/h (81 mph).

Seems that you were right, then I was right, then you were right again .... right before I was right. The Princess says, "he who is right lastest, is right bestest":cheer2::clap2::boink:

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
There was no absolute speed limit in the Northern Territory before 1 January 2007 but maximum speed limits are now posted on some road sections. Drivers, previously, were simply required to drive at a safe speed to suit the conditions. Thus, the Northern Territory section of the Stuart Highway had no speed limits at all. The Northern Territory traffic laws were updated from 1 January 2007 to be similar to the rest of Australia. This included placing a speed limit on all roads (130 km/h or 81 mph on major highways such as the Stuart Highway) and significantly increasing penalties for speeding.

In October 2013 the NT Government announced a trial period of reverting to an open speed limit on the 200 km (120 mi) stretch between Alice Springs and Barrow Creek, beginning 1 February 2014. In September 2015, following the conclusion of the trial, a 276 km (171 mi) stretch of the highway had its speed limits permamently derestricted.

As of November 2016, a speed limit has been reinstated, with the maximum speed now being 130 km/h (81 mph).

Seems that you were right, then I was right, then you were right again .... right before I was right. The Princess says, "he who is right lastest, is right bestest":cheer2::clap2::boink:
Neither of us can be right @Crusty181 after all we are Male

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Their choice

Sorry dave that mite have been me but most of the time i overtake patrols

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks Bushman that’s interesting about NSW! Think many years ago we had 80kmn for towing !

It’s all ability and vehicle depending imo. Some people shouldn’t be allowed to cycle on the road let alone drive. And never tow. The sooner the cops start pinching people for menial things like not indicating or merging properly , tow mirrors etc the sooner we will get a better class of driver and safer one imo

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Sorry away down Bellarine putting pegs and pegs into ground to stop th annex blowing away.
Interesting that they put the 130 back in the NT I thought unlimited they looked at stopped people getting too tired. Even vanless we did not go to fast as lots of cattle wandering

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Scared me years back doing 140 and I thought if a beast appears I'm stuffed, so cut it back, back when the V6 Dunny Door came out, magic to roar from Katherine to Darwin in.

Reactions: davemc