17' Series Toilet light wire location in roof space

Bourkie636

May 22, 2014
Hi, trying to locate where the wires come out of the roof space for the toilet light and roof hatch fan. When replacing the roof hatch I have accidentally screwed through the wire that supplies power to the fan and light and now it keeps shorting out so need to replace the section if possible
cheers Ben

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi, trying to locate where the wires come out of the roof space for the toilet light and roof hatch fan. When replacing the roof hatch I have accidentally screwed through the wire that supplies power to the fan and light and now it keeps shorting out so need to replace the section if possible
cheers Ben
You could be in a spot of bother there Bourkie. A general rule of thumb is trying to chase wiring thru Jayco roofs rarely ends well. Could be better thinking outside the box and try to pick up or re-route from another nearby source

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Since Jayco are skimpy on the cable you more than likely can't pull that extra bit to add some new cable, best bet remove screw and see if it works otherwise I think your stuffed.
As Crusty said try another run, if the cable run up to the ceiling is on the same side as your ensuite then just tap into it before it goes up the screen, run it along bottom of sreeen to ensuite, run cable up ensuite screen and across to fan/light using a bit of cable cover on the ceiling, trying to run thru the roof is a waste of time......... Alternatively replace fan with one of those little solar jobbies and use a wall mounted rechargeable light.

Bourkie636

May 22, 2014
Since Jayco are skimpy on the cable you more than likely can't pull that extra bit to add some new cable, best bet remove screw and see if it works otherwise I think your stuffed.
As Crusty said try another run, if the cable run up to the ceiling is on the same side as your ensuite then just tap into it before it goes up the screen, run it along bottom of sreeen to ensuite, run cable up ensuite screen and across to fan/light using a bit of cable cover on the ceiling, trying to run thru the roof is a waste of time......... Alternatively replace fan with one of those little solar jobbies and use a wall mounted rechargeable ligh
You could be in a spot of bother there Bourkie. A general rule of thumb is trying to chase wiring thru Jayco roofs rarely ends well. Could be better thinking outside the box and try to pick up or re-route from another nearby source
Cheers Crusty181 was thinking I would be up the creek, will have to rethink

Bourkie636

May 22, 2014
As Crusty said try another run, if the cable run up to the ceiling is on the same side as your ensuite then just tap into it before it goes up the screen, run it along bottom of sreeen to ensuite, run cable up ensuite screen and across to fan/light using a bit of cable cover on the ceiling, trying to run thru the roof is a waste of time......... Alternatively replace fan with one of those little solar jobbies and use a wall mounted rechargeable light.
Cheers Drover
They are skimpy on the wire have tried pulling it through with no luck, will look at running a new wire from another power just worried the affected wire may still short out done the track if I can’t find where it comes from.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
They usually run up sleeve on the screen, if your roof lights have a seperate switch to give them power and your ensuite stuff works when that switch is off then a good chance it has its own run and you should find it in the run up the screen, if not then they are piggy backing off the roof light circuit which would mean the ensuite would be powered possibly from the nearest light to it, checking the back of the light would show if its got a run off it, with a meter on the ensuite end disconnect the feed from the ceiling light and see if it goes dead then at least you know it won't short...... the roof feed can have TV lead, power for TV antennae, ceiling lights I just can't remember if another for ensuite but I think the couple Ive looked at needed roof light circuit switched on............

They can be that skimpy on wire that on a hot expansion of things will disconnect a switch.

Reactions: Bourkie636