20' Series To cover or not to cover.......

DawnMark

Jun 8, 2014
Perth West Australia
Good Evening everyone,
We have now brought a cover for our panda and we were just wondering if anyone has had any issues with them, I saw on another sight a couple of people have had "Bubbles develop " on the bed doors. when there vans were covered
IMG_0558.JPG

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hi Dawn Mark, we had a cover on our swan for approx 6 months and noticed that it had developed bubbles on the roof. Asked Jayco about it and they said its normal and to not worry. Worried us, so decided it was time to upgrade to an expanda ( which we get in dec)

Reactions: skippy and dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Had our previous 2007 16.49.3 under a cover for the 3 years we had it with no probs but it was the older "soft lid" model... Maybe a different quality fibreglass?????

Have read that some hard lid owners have had bubbled doors without a cover!!!!!! Think it might've been a common issue in the past as Jayco had changed some even when out of warranty!

Reactions: skippy

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
As far as I am aware the bubbles were a problem from factory and I have had both of mine replaced on the old 16 under warranty. Then we upgraded to 21 Expanda and it's been under a cover for over a year and it's still like the day I drove it home from the dealer with no bubbles on the hard lid.;) To me the cover is the way to go and it helps stopping the fibreglass going yellow from the sun UV rays. Thus mean less time spent polishing and hopefully better for resale too. Most of all more time to go camping instead of polishing.:eagerness:

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
@DawnMark when looking at covers, have a look on eBay. We purchased one for our 21 on deals direct originally, and despite being advertised for 20-22" when it arrived it was at least 1m short and they had no exchange policy.

I sold the short one to another member here, and then got the same design cover (except the correct size this time) on eBay for just on $100.

I've seen the same covers for over $300 at caravan accessory shops.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
We keep,our 14.44-5 OB covered when it is in Storage.
Not sure of the brand but it does 'breath' so does not heat up too much when in the sun.
Yes, used rubber corners from Clark Rubber.
Have also found that the solar panel keeps charging the van battery even when the cover is on!

Last edited:
Reactions: DawnMark

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
speaking of covers does anyone have their fridge running on 240V whilst their van is covered.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Have run the fridge many times when under cover on 240v. Never on gas though.
If you ran it on gas under the cover, my colleagues in the local fire service would be getting some work.

I wouldn't think even on 240 it would be all that efficient, and the airflow would most likely be restricted.

Reactions: twscoot and dagree

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Caravan cover dagree. But not on gas. The caravan cover I use sits somewhat proud of the Dometic vent as the awning is on the same side as my fridge. Whilst the plastic cover gets warm (I am sitting beside it as I type this answer) it simply could not ignite anything IMHO.

Agree it is not as efficient but when I set up the van prior to leaving, I think it is useful to have the fridge on for 48 hours prior to leaving.

Reactions: dagree