Journey The journey continues - From camper to jayco pop top to Expanda and now Journey Outback

solterb

Mar 10, 2012
Melbourne
Ok have just paid a deposit for our new 22.68-1 Outback with the options below. Now for the wait, pretty much a whole year. So will be selling our beloved 17.56 expanda as we get closer to the cut over time, July next year. Have really enjoyed making mods to the Expanda, extra skylights, positive pressure system, undercarriage protection, extra tank, curtains etc etc.

• Extended A frame
  • suspension upgrade
  • 3rd water tank
  • Add a room (Annexe).
  • Slide out tub.
  • Ben convert for Lshape couch
  • Sirocco 12v fan x 5
  • Divider curtain
  • Deluxe mattress
  • L Shape lounge
  • Shower External
  • Triple Bunk
  • water filter
  • 2 x lithium 100AMP
  • 2 x 180 watt solar
The two most difficult questions I had to answer was compressor or three way fridge and I am still a bit torn, But for me it came down to being able to be just off the grid and not worrying about batteries. The other was extra water tank or greywater and decided extra water tank and I will make greywater catchment container/s,

Last edited:

Jeremy Johnson

Sep 6, 2015
North Queensland
Hi Solterb,

We have ordered the same with a few minor differences.
Gone from a 16.49.3 to 22.68.1
Pick up at this stage is December, fingers crossed.
Went with pretty much the same as you, except,
Grey water
Outdoor kitchen.
Left battery as is, will upgrade when needed, hopefully more payload later down the track.
Outdoor entertainment unit.
Bike rack.
Reverse camera

Good luck with your purchase.
Basically ordered the van about three months ago approx and as soon as we put our van on old on the market it sold straight away.

Went with three way fridge as well, we never had massive issues with previous 3 way, a few teething issues, but they all worked out in the end.

Cheers and Good luck.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi Solterb,

We have ordered the same with a few minor differences.
Gone from a 16.49.3 to 22.68.1
Pick up at this stage is December, fingers crossed.
Went with pretty much the same as you, except,
Grey water
Outdoor kitchen.
Left battery as is, will upgrade when needed, hopefully more payload later down the track.
Outdoor entertainment unit.
Bike rack.
Reverse camera

Good luck with your purchase.
Basically ordered the van about three months ago approx and as soon as we put our van on old on the market it sold straight away.

Went with three way fridge as well, we never had massive issues with previous 3 way, a few teething issues, but they all worked out in the end.

Cheers and Good luck.
Hi @Jeremy Johnson , sticking with the standard AGM battery and 3 way fridge bought up a point with a fellow camper I met recently. He had just taken delivery of a you beaut, all singing, all dancing camper trailer. It had large compressor fridge and a 250w solar panel on roof. Both the tug and van had the latest DC-DC charging facilities with a MPPT controller specifically set up for charging the 100ah lithium battery. Not always able to get enough sun on angled panel on roof to keep running all accessories and compressor fridge, decided to add additional panel - a Kings 200w folding flexible panel and connect to external Anderson plug wired to internal MPPT controller.
Upon opening up the Kings package, he discovered that the instructions clearly warned that this panel was NOT suitable for use with lithium battery/ies. I had to explain to him that that was not quite correct. It was the included controller that was not suitable (did not have the correct charging algorithm!). And that the panel itself would be fine to use if he bypassed (disconnected in this case) the attached solar controller (PWM type) and just connected the panel to the Anderson plug at side of trailer. The MPPT controller inside rated at 30A would then provide the proper charge/voltage to the lithium battery in conjunction with the roof solar.

Seems that some of the manufacturers of solar panels now realize that their product with the attached solar controllers (usually PWM types) are NOT SUITABLE for everyone. Fortunately, this customer did read the instructions before connecting and in his case was still able to use his Kings purchase.
Warning to all thinking of changing from AGM to Lithium battery. Make sure you have a proper controller (MPPT type) with user adjustable settings to suit the special requirements for charging that particular battery type!!!!

Reactions: solterb

Jeremy Johnson

Sep 6, 2015
North Queensland
Hi @Jeremy Johnson , sticking with the standard AGM battery and 3 way fridge bought up a point with a fellow camper I met recently. He had just taken delivery of a you beaut, all singing, all dancing camper trailer. It had large compressor fridge and a 250w solar panel on roof. Both the tug and van had the latest DC-DC charging facilities with a MPPT controller specifically set up for charging the 100ah lithium battery. Not always able to get enough sun on angled panel on roof to keep running all accessories and compressor fridge, decided to add additional panel - a Kings 200w folding flexible panel and connect to external Anderson plug wired to internal MPPT controller.
Upon opening up the Kings package, he discovered that the instructions clearly warned that this panel was NOT suitable for use with lithium battery/ies. I had to explain to him that that was not quite correct. It was the included controller that was not suitable (did not have the correct charging algorithm!). And that the panel itself would be fine to use if he bypassed (disconnected in this case) the attached solar controller (PWM type) and just connected the panel to the Anderson plug at side of trailer. The MPPT controller inside rated at 30A would then provide the proper charge/voltage to the lithium battery in conjunction with the roof solar.

Seems that some of the manufacturers of solar panels now realize that their product with the attached solar controllers (usually PWM types) are NOT SUITABLE for everyone. Fortunately, this customer did read the instructions before connecting and in his case was still able to use his Kings purchase.
Warning to all thinking of changing from AGM to Lithium battery. Make sure you have a proper controller (MPPT type) with user adjustable settings to suit the special requirements for charging that particular battery type!!!!
Cheers Boots in Action,
Thanks for the tip,
I have spoken, ie, messaged the Projecta contact for Jayco, Ben Blood. ( Aprrox 2 weeks ago. )
He has given me the run down on how to solve your description I believe.
Anderson plug on draw bar is wired direct to Projecta unit and run through at the same time as 2 x roof top panels.
As such it will use the inbuilt PWM controller of the van, no need for a MPPT or seperate PWM on the portable solar panel.
New Projecta system has seperate lithium charging modes I have been told, which I will have to change over when replacing the AGM.
Maybe you could confirm the above is correct, Jayco will be doing the wiring before we pick up.
And cheers for the comment.

JJ

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Cheers Boots in Action,
Thanks for the tip,
I have spoken, ie, messaged the Projecta contact for Jayco, Ben Blood. ( Aprrox 2 weeks ago. )
He has given me the run down on how to solve your description I believe.
Anderson plug on draw bar is wired direct to Projecta unit and run through at the same time as 2 x roof top panels.
As such it will use the inbuilt PWM controller of the van, no need for a MPPT or seperate PWM on the portable solar panel.
New Projecta system has seperate lithium charging modes I have been told, which I will have to change over when replacing the AGM.
Maybe you could confirm the above is correct, Jayco will be doing the wiring before we pick up.
And cheers for the comment.

JJ
Hi @Jeremy Johnson, noted that you have contacted Projecta for Jayco. The connection of any type of extra solar panel/s with their own controllers will always cause some problems especially different brands/types. As you have been told, the two roof mounted solar panels are connected directly to the PWM solar controller in van. Should you decide to connect an additional solar panel (any brand/type) via an Anderson plug on drawbar or chassis, that will be satisfactory as long as you bypass the controller on extra panel. All three panels (two on roof plus extra one from outside) are then effectively connected in PARALLEL and will be controlled by internal controller in van and the settings on that controller, provided that controller can handle the extra current. Pity that the Projecta van controller is not the more efficient MPPT type.
Yes, when you change your van battery from AGM to Lithium, you will have to have a controller suitable for use in charging a Lithium battery. If the PWM controller is integral with the Projecta system and does NOT have suitable user adjustable settings or no special connection for solar input (for Lithium charging), then you will be obliged to fit a suitable controller.

Jeremy Johnson

Sep 6, 2015
North Queensland
Hi @Jeremy Johnson, noted that you have contacted Projecta for Jayco. The connection of any type of extra solar panel/s with their own controllers will always cause some problems especially different brands/types. As you have been told, the two roof mounted solar panels are connected directly to the PWM solar controller in van. Should you decide to connect an additional solar panel (any brand/type) via an Anderson plug on drawbar or chassis, that will be satisfactory as long as you bypass the controller on extra panel. All three panels (two on roof plus extra one from outside) are then effectively connected in PARALLEL and will be controlled by internal controller in van and the settings on that controller, provided that controller can handle the extra current. Pity that the Projecta van controller is not the more efficient MPPT type.
Yes, when you change your van battery from AGM to Lithium, you will have to have a controller suitable for use in charging a Lithium battery. If the PWM controller is integral with the Projecta system and does NOT have suitable user adjustable settings or no special connection for solar input (for Lithium charging), then you will be obliged to fit a suitable controller.
Cheers @Boots in Action
Had final sign off from Jayco on Friday as well, and according to sales rep a new new direction from Jayco HO has come out saying if people want to add anderson plug to drawbar for additional solar, it should be wired direct to Projecta unit as per advice to us. New Projecta unit has inbuilt PWM controller capable of handling 800W of solar and separate settings for Lithium battery as well, so no drama. On a good note as well, they have upgraded from 160w to 180w panels as standard. Now we will have 360w instead of 320w on roof and dependent what additional we have should have a good bank of solar. I also read somewhere recently that Jayco/Projecta might be adding MPPT controllers to the inbuilt Projecta system, PM335J? Ours isn't due until December, kind of hoping we might get this instead. Looks like Jayco are definitely on the right path and have it all under control.

JJ

Reactions: Boots in Action

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Looks like Jayco are definitely on the right path and have it all under control.
We can only hope anyway ...................... if you end up with the PWM system it will operate just fine if you have your set up right, panels, controller and storage, if you find your regularly using over 40% of your storage then you need more storage, add storage add a panel as well... rule of thumb which seems to work is 100ah = 200w of panel, you don't want to be watching meters, a good off grid set up is park and forget about it otherwise whats the point in going away.

Reactions: Boots in Action

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
We can only hope anyway ...................... if you end up with the PWM system it will operate just fine if you have your set up right, panels, controller and storage, if you find your regularly using over 40% of your storage then you need more storage, add storage add a panel as well... rule of thumb which seems to work is 100ah = 200w of panel, you don't want to be watching meters, a good off grid set up is park and forget about it otherwise whats the point in going away.
Correct @Drover . No use having more storage if you do not have the ability to fully charge up the increased storage. More panels (and the more efficient MPPT controller) for charging MAY ? mean less storage needed (and avoid a weight problem?), but increasing storage means you MUST have more charging ability, which means more panels. Somewhere in the middle is the right answer.