TAS tassie trip 2023

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
well ,we bit the bullet as they say ,and booked and paid for our ferry crossing and return. Sunday 6th august Geelong to Davenport and return Saturday 28 October , just by chance got a day sailing over and a night (with cabin ) return. we have allowed 6 days of travel (plus two days spare) to get from Brisvagas to Geelong. so far this trip has only cost us $2024, and we have not even left home.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
well ,we bit the bullet as they say ,and booked and paid for our ferry crossing and return. Sunday 6th august Geelong to Davenport and return Saturday 28 October , just by chance got a day sailing over and a night (with cabin ) return. we have allowed 6 days of travel (plus two days spare) to get from Brisvagas to Geelong. so far this trip has only cost us $2024, and we have not even left home.
Better luck this time @poor but proud !!

• Haha
Reactions: poor but proud

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Better luck this time @poor but proud !!
22 days from departure, sigh!! 95 year old mother in law , just out of ICU after breaking her hip, now the frustration starts trying to deal with "my age care "Acat, health review, rehab, service providers, dealing with rellies who know everything except how to help, did you know that it takes 3 to 6 months to get a home care package approved, and by the way Tassie trip cancelled for the second time ,this time we lose 25% of the fare paid as we could not rebook within 12 months of the payment date,,, i am looking around for the chinaman i must have run over (aussie humour) oh well maybe third time lucky??

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I can empathise with parts of your frustration @poor but proud , having just started the process of getting my older sister into aged care in Qld from Sydney. With her memory failing and mood swings like you would not believe, tackling beaurocracies is mind blowing.
Missing out on the trip to Tassie is a real bummer, especially costing you so much. I hope it all works out for you and you can get down there eventually. It will be well worth it when it happens.

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
I really feel it for the oldies who have no family network left and have to struggle with a system that I am sure is put in place by fat cats who have no real understanding of frail aged persons, god help anyone who does not own a mobile phone or computer and lives alone, these oldies become invisible and end up dying alone, sorry this has nothing to do with caravans

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Oh mate ! I know the path your going to travel, be times of frustration ...................... Let the rellies know your more than happy to assign the duties to them, they will get out of yout hair then...................... make 6 copies of everything.

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Oh mate ! I know the path your going to travel, be times of frustration ...................... Let the rellies know your more than happy to assign the duties to them, they will get out of yout hair then...................... make 6 copies of everything.
Who else has rellies whose favourite sayings are `what you should have done' or ' what I would do' or my favourite ' you should have told me I have connections who could have fixed that's , the world is full of advice after the event

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
My problem is I am the only relative apart from nieces etc, further down the chain.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
My problem is I am the only relative apart from nieces etc, further down the chain.
It is tough at the top! That's why you have the broad shoulders. Remember the saying "when the going gets tough, the tough get going". Hang in there and just tackle one hurdle at a time. You can do it, and you have lots of "friends" on this forum to share your problems with. And your trip to Tassie still beckons!!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thankfully only my elder sister left and her family have the burden, only the bride and I left and which ever one is left on the branch after the other falls off the perch will be our kids problem I suppose, POAs all signed and copies made and notorized to lessen the burden a bit... My sisters all kept clear and knew better than to try it on, I had a Niece in Law who was a district Nurse, what a godsend she was, red tape cut through in record time, with an axe I thought.... she had a key to many back doors and was in the same town as my Mum so things happened faster than I could deal with the boofacrats and their paperwork, years later the Tax man got onto me about her house and I laughed at their ignorance, told them to read the file, it was sold 25 years before she went into a home, idiots ....................
So best of luck @poor but proud , do lots of research and don't take the "experts " advise unless you have checked things out yourself ...
most important bit of advice is Do Not Go to the Public Trustee for any advice , for anything or you will be stuck in a legal mire for many years........

Reactions: poor but proud

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
most important bit of advice is Do Not Go to the Public Trustee for any advice , for anything or you will be stuck in a legal mire for many years........
My sister refuses to sign a will so I am afraid the Public Trustees will take over. Her idea is to hand out her bits and pieces to nieces before she drops off the perch but no one is interested in her stuff.

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
My sister refuses to sign a will so I am afraid the Public Trustees will take over. Her idea is to hand out her bits and pieces to nieces before she drops off the perch but no one is interested in her stuff.
my mother refused to sign anything ,(no one was going to put her in a home )so we had to go to qcat to get power over the estate because when she had a bad fall and had to go into care we had to sell her house, to cover the nursing home, strange how rellies who were not involved in her care for years, can stand in front of the commission and say they will need the estate to pay for air fares for them to come and attend to her needs and visits , this brings the old saying to mind "where there is a will there is a suddenly a caring rellie " my current situation has an advanced health directive and the mother in law has everything in writing and recorded when the time comes, but we are still having a stressful time

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD

Then just stay out of it all Paul, friend of mines Mum was adamant the Public Trustee should do it, caused years of grief for the family.............
@poor but proud you are lucky in that paperwork is sorted but it still is a long trying road which many of us travel and we can only sit back and wish you a smooth road........ Stay calm and don't yell at stupid people, its very difficult............ thinking of you and we may sit around a camp fire and have some laughs in years to come.

Reactions: chartrock

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I’m glad of the support of friends and mates (here and elsewhere) and at least I am the only rello apart from a number of nieces who are backing me all the way. My only hassle is my sister herself but she is in an aged care facility and is not going anywhere.

Reactions: DRW