Storm Covers

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone can help me with a storm covers question please.

I have a 2010 16.49-2HL and I was chasing storm covers, I found campsmart ones on ebay and they told me that the storm covers were not made for Expandas models before 2016

Has anyone from this forum bought a pair of storm covers from campsmart and fitted them to a 2010 model please, and if just wondering how they fit and what the quality is like please.

It was recommended to me to use holiday annexes in Maitland as I live in Port Stephens, but since my query on price to them a month or so a go they have whacked their prices up more than $100 for them.

If anyone can verify if I buy a pair of 2016 ones from campsmart and they will fit and are good quality that would help.

Thanks
Geoff

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
I just figured with so many pre 2016 models getting around someone would had have had have retro fitted storm covers that were designed for a 2016 model.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If theres any change to the lid then possibly but would only be stud position I think................. I never used storm covers, with my privacy screens set properly never got rained out and copped some good gully rakers in the 14.44 over the years.....

Reactions: garfield28

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
If theres any change to the lid then possibly but would only be stud position I think................. I never used storm covers, with my privacy screens set properly never got rained out and copped some good gully rakers in the 14.44 over the years.....
thanks drover. I was umming and arring about the screens but in the end just bit the bullet and got the genuine jayco storm covers. They are bloody expensive so when we go away in July I hope they keep the dew and rain off and are worth it.

G’day @garfield28. I had a 2010 model 14 footer and storm covers were not readily available then so I took my privacy mesh screen to a canvas company and had him copy them in canvas. It worked well so this may be an option for you.
Have a look back here.
Thanks chartrock, I've just bought the genuine jayco ones. I like the look of them and to be honest most of the canvas shop knock offs are charging just as much and times more to make an inferior copy.

Now I have bought them I just hope they'll fit OK as they are designed for the 2016 model and ours is a 2010

Reactions: chartrock

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Have heard it can get a bit steamy inside with them on, I wouldn't be having them up unless its looking like rain...

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
Have heard it can get a bit steamy inside with them on, I wouldn't be having them up unless its looking like rain...
So many seen to say they wouldn't be without them Drover. When we were away in the van last July my bed and pillows were soaking every morning from the dew, and Christmas was a wet one so we copped it then too.

I didn't want to part with the money but was hoping it sorts the wet bed problem. I will be trying to do the leave them on mod too

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
So many seen to say they wouldn't be without them Drover. When we were away in the van last July my bed and pillows were soaking every morning from the dew, and Christmas was a wet one so we copped it then too.

I didn't want to part with the money but was hoping it sorts the wet bed problem. I will be trying to do the leave them on mod too

With my privacy screens up it wasn't a problem, and they were just like shade cloth screens but without them, like tents anything pillows/blankets against the canvas will cause moisture on the canvas to wick thru to the inside, I would proof my canvas each year, holds off the water and keeps any mould at bay. The privacy screens could be left set up all the time, allow air flow and also a view if needed.

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
With my privacy screens up it wasn't a problem, and they were just like shade cloth screens but without them, like tents anything pillows/blankets against the canvas will cause moisture on the canvas to wick thru to the inside, I would proof my canvas each year, holds off the water and keeps any mould at bay. The privacy screens could be left set up all the time, allow air flow and also a view if needed.

Drover how do I re proof my bed ends please?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just the same as a canvas tent but use less water of course......... On a nice sunny day with a breeze I would open the bed end, clear out all the bed stuff and wipe down the outside canvas with a warm but mild soapy water, you just want to clean off the dust and crap, then give it a hose down, move inside do the saem but wipe off with clean warm water and let it all air dry so doors , roof vents open, can open the window sections slightly..... I would use a liquid water proofing stuff that I get from saddle shop or rural shop thats for oil skin coats, tin/bottle about $30 a lt, also use it for my Drizabone coats, once canvas is fully dried I would use a spray bottle to give inside and out a good wet down, letting it fully dry and air before packing up, after each trip outside gets a quick hose down, light pressure and inside gets a wipe, clean plain water just to remove dust/pollen, this helps in keeping mould at bay so long as you make sure its all dry before packing up...
The pressure pack cans can be expensive and you don't get the coverage, I use the liquid on my Drizabone's as it doesn't melt away in the sun or attract every bit of dirt and dust around as well as being much easier to apply...... You still have to keep items from resting on the canvas though... running some beeswax or dry lube stick over the stitching is also a good idea to stop leaks and rot.

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
The new storm covers arrived today, gee I hope they'll suit/fit my 2010 model
IMG_20220615_160637.jpg

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
I'm going to attack putting these on, on the weekend and just wondering if it is best to use aluminium Railtrack or use plastic/PVC ones please?
Thanks

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I would use alloy as it won't deteriorate ........... if you use alloy, flair the ends with a large screw driver and give a light file to make a smooth guide for the canvas runner so it won't get chaffed when you slide it in or out. Have a look at the trak for the awning on the van you will see the ends flaired.

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
I would use alloy as it won't deteriorate ........... if you use alloy, flair the ends with a large screw driver and give a light file to make a smooth guide for the canvas runner so it won't get chaffed when you slide it in or out. Have a look at the trak for the awning on the van you will see the ends flaired.
Thanks Drover, absolute legend.

One last one, campsmart didn't have any of the sail track, can you recommend where I could possibly get it that suits the bed end storm covers?
Thanks

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thanks Drover, absolute legend.

One last one, campsmart didn't have any of the sail track, can you recommend where I could possibly get it that suits the bed end storm covers?
Thanks

So long as the covers have a normal sized track then Mitre 10, Bunnings or boat shops, last 3m length I got was about $18 I think, they come with the flange in a couple of positions so you have the trak in the position you need...

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
So long as the covers have a normal sized track then Mitre 10, Bunnings or boat shops, last 3m length I got was about $18 I think, they come with the flange in a couple of positions so you have the trak in the position you need...
Thanks mate