16' Series Storm Covers - Permanent Storage

2slow

Jul 20, 2018
Gawler SA
Hi all,
Maybe this will be of some use to others or it might be a lesson in what not to do.

Finally got around to modifying the bed ends so we can leave the storm covers on permanently.
Good idea? I hope so, anyway we’ll see what happens over time.

After a fair bit of umming and ahhing on where and how many press studs to use and finally we went for 3 evenly spaced along the lower edge of the cover.
Then used strips of 1m x 32mm x 3mm aluminum screwed and siliconed to the lid. We used roof and gutter sealant silicon and not adhesive just in case it has to come off. We figured that it’s not carrying a lot of weight and when the lid is closed the cover is fairly snuggly jammed in under there so hopefully it will not move around too much and put too much pressure on the press studs or the aluminum strip and therefore sealant should give enough "stick" to do the job.

The pics tell the story better than I can.
Greg.

Attachments

• 1a. IMG_0901.jpg
    1a. IMG_0901.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 254
  • 2a. IMG_0896.jpg
    2a. IMG_0896.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 270
  • 3a. IMG_0899.jpg
    3a. IMG_0899.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 250
  • 4a. IMG_0902.jpg
    4a. IMG_0902.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 241
  • 5a. IMG_0904.jpg
    5a. IMG_0904.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 265

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
We leave our privacy screen permanently attached and just tucked in and clipped when travelling. Just a neat tuck and fold using the existing tab and press stud to hold it up. We fold our Storm cover away and put it in a canvas bag in the boot under the bed end (Single bed Panda).
we find having the storm cover on all the time blocks ventilation and light coming in. Sliding the storm cover on the occasional time we need it only takes 5 min or less. Personal preferences i suppose.

MikeC

Aug 29, 2017
Adelaide
Hi all,
Maybe this will be of some use to others or it might be a lesson in what not to do.

Finally got around to modifying the bed ends so we can leave the storm covers on permanently.
Good idea? I hope so, anyway we’ll see what happens over time.

After a fair bit of umming and ahhing on where and how many press studs to use and finally we went for 3 evenly spaced along the lower edge of the cover.
Then used strips of 1m x 32mm x 3mm aluminum screwed and siliconed to the lid. We used roof and gutter sealant silicon and not adhesive just in case it has to come off. We figured that it’s not carrying a lot of weight and when the lid is closed the cover is fairly snuggly jammed in under there so hopefully it will not move around too much and put too much pressure on the press studs or the aluminum strip and therefore sealant should give enough "stick" to do the job.

The pics tell the story better than I can.
Greg.
Hi there Greg. Was there a reason why you went with the press studs instead of the tracks? Where did you get your covers from if you don't mind me asking? (Being a fellow SA) I would like to get a set for our 18' but not sure about supply these days. Everything caravan seems to be getting scarce. We currently use the privacy screens but it would be nice to have the storm covers. Cheers Mike.

2slow

Jul 20, 2018
Gawler SA
Hi Mike,
The press studs are purely to hold the storm covers up out of the way when we close the lid so that they don't get caught between the lid and the van body. Its a very easy and quick way of doing it.
Our storm covers also act as privacy screens. Each cover has 3 windows which have roll up flaps to allow more light and air if needed, great idea.
Our covers are genuine Jayco and came with the van.
Greg.

Reactions: Boots in Action

MikeC

Aug 29, 2017
Adelaide
Thanks Greg. I am pretty keen on getting them. Just have to convince the minister for war and finance ;)