Exterior Roof Sealant

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
it looks like I have to reseal the assemblies in each of the four corners of the roof of my 2016 Penguin. The attached photo shows a corner assembly that is similar to mine.

I am looking for information on what type of sealant I should use. The roof skirt is a coated aluminium extrusion and the corner is some sort of molded plastic.

Has anyone got any good or bad experiences using Sika 291 for this application?

From what I can determine, the corner is screwed to the skirt with about 13 screws. So I would assume the sealant does not need to have any great adhesive quality.

take care
Mike

CornerAssembly.jpg

Last edited:

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Jaycos fav goto sealer seems to be cheap roof and gutter silicone.
Hi Mike @mikerezny, I have successfully used Selleys or Parfix Polyurethane white as a good sealant for the top section of the roof of my van. Seems to have good sealing and UV resistant qualities if applied to a clean and properly prepared surface. Easy to spread and smooth out as well. Obtainable at the "big Green Shed". A similar sealant appears to have been used on the white plastic corner section above.

Reactions: mikerezny

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Ok, here is my update.

Got off my backside today, bit the bullet, and headed off, armed with an assortment of screwdrivers, knives, scrapers etc, to do battle with getting the old sealant out of one corner of the Penguin.

Surprising how much easier it was than I had expected. Just needed a bit of patience.

One tip. Cable ties are an ideal tool for removing the last remains of sealant. Find one about the right thickness and cut it at an angle past the tapered end.

Now, with regard to what sealant to use. I started with a preference for White Sika 291 which is a sealant and a very good adhesive. I was a little put off with stories of how hard it is to get off. The corners only need sealing and don't need adhesive.

So another suggestion was just plain old bog standard household roof and gutter sealant. Good flex, easy to remove, UV stable.

I liked the idea of translucent since I will be able to see through it for signs of leakage.

For better or for worse I have used Monarch translucent roof and gutter sealant. Bunnings sell it in small mini tubes for about $4.
I have very little experience with applying sealant, so if I botch it up, I can easily remove it and try again.

All up, it has taken me about 3 hours to this one corner. But I expect the other three corners will take less time.

Then wait until we go camping again and it buckets down to see if the leak has been fixed and that I have not introduced some new ones. Stay tuned!

Many thanks for all the helpful replies given in this thread as well as in the older threads covering similar topics.

take care
Mike

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Many years in marine industry.Main thing is where Jayco have used silcone sealer use another silicone sealer as copolymers ,polyurothanes,paint etc will not bond to previous siliconed surfaces unless cleaned extremely well.New copolymer sealants are much better than basic Sikaflex sealant.Better bonding ,flexability etc.also if possible use masking tape on the edges as thin smoothed out layers degrade very quickly.A sharpened credit card is good for removed old sealant etc

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I think I used Sika or similar marine on the old 14, it stuck really well and I have used just Roof and Gutter on others and Big Mal and it doesn't seem get mouldy like the "professional" stuff used on Big Mal for the hail repairs.......... Prep and application most important.....

Reactions: mikerezny