Suspension Rim Bling Resto

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Few years back road works ate away at the clear coat on a couple of my rims, luckily I washed it off before (I hope) it scored the alloy........... Now with 2 okay and 2 looking daggy I've decided to try and restore their shiny bits, trouble is how to remove the clear coat, not wreck the black infill, give the rim a bit of a buff then give em a couple of coats of Clear top coat.......... or maybe just wet an dry the lot and get out the silver spray can..........

Your ideas most welcome....

IMG_20210310_101702.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Few years back road works ate away at the clear coat on a couple of my rims, luckily I washed it off before (I hope) it scored the alloy........... Now with 2 okay and 2 looking daggy I've decided to try and restore their shiny bits, trouble is how to remove the clear coat, not wreck the black infill, give the rim a bit of a buff then give em a couple of coats of Clear top coat.......... or maybe just wet an dry the lot and get out the silver spray can..........

Your ideas most welcome....

View attachment 66497

Try Gumption

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Try Gumption

Must be your feminine side showing, :o , thats Mrs D's , "Go To Solution" ........... Gumption, so a buffa pad on the spinning thing and a can of good old "Export" silver sounds the go............. I doubt Gumption will do much to the clear coat though but then if it buffs the edges nicely a spray of top coat clear may come up okay ????? .......................................... might just give it a miss as I believe they look okay when zipping down the road and by the time I get to camp number 2 they are dusty anyway............................ the thought of polishing stuff doesn't excite me at all.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Must be your feminine side showing, :o , thats Mrs D's , "Go To Solution" ........... Gumption, so a buffa pad on the spinning thing and a can of good old "Export" silver sounds the go............. I doubt Gumption will do much to the clear coat though but then if it buffs the edges nicely a spray of top coat clear may come up okay ????? .......................................... might just give it a miss as I believe they look okay when zipping down the road and by the time I get to camp number 2 they are dusty anyway............................ the thought of polishing stuff doesn't excite me at all.
I use Gumption to sell old 1968 demo'd sinks as new to otherwise unsuspecting passers-by. My Stonemason uses it routinely on stone benchtops to good effect

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I use Gumption to sell old 1968 demo'd sinks as new to otherwise unsuspecting passers-by. My Stonemason uses it routinely on stone benchtops to good effect

Initial run got the flaky clear coat off but the undamaged stuff stayed put, will experiment some more might get away with once all cleaned up just sraying over the old coating......

Too much muscle @Crusty181!!!! It must have had a hairline crack there all the time. Just as well it did not break when under load while travelling.
I think it was an angle grinder Booties, I suppose alloy rim you couldn't use a gas axe like on steel.

KECL

Aug 16, 2016
Secret Harbour WA
Another idea I have not tried it would be to use the Headlight Restorer. Normally used to clean up faded (or yellow)coloured headlights - sells at Auto shops.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Another idea I have not tried it would be to use the Headlight Restorer. Normally used to clean up faded (or yellow)coloured headlights - sells at Auto shops.

Headlight rstorer is more like a tooth paste, its very gentle stuff I gave the Gumption a go, it cleared up the bad bits of the clear coat but the clear that was good didn't make a mark, didn't do much for the marks in the alloy but did an overall improvement so gave them all a hit with a spray of clear and turned out okay, I think I would really need to pull the wheel off along with the tyre and do some serious work to remove the remains of the clear coat then buff up the alloy before respraying with good clear coat and black touch up............ good enough for me now, at least I know what I really need to do and I ain't going there..

With plastic headlights I have found using a stone cover , the Altrex Light Skinz I have found over a number of vehicles will actually stop the glazing, I noticed thet where I didn't have the film it was getting sunburnt, works well against big goolies also just a bastard to apply if you have a lot of curved bits.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Headlight rstorer is more like a tooth paste, its very gentle stuff I gave the Gumption a go, it cleared up the bad bits of the clear coat but the clear that was good didn't make a mark, didn't do much for the marks in the alloy but did an overall improvement so gave them all a hit with a spray of clear and turned out okay, I think I would really need to pull the wheel off along with the tyre and do some serious work to remove the remains of the clear coat then buff up the alloy before respraying with good clear coat and black touch up............ good enough for me now, at least I know what I really need to do and I ain't going there..

With plastic headlights I have found using a stone cover , the Altrex Light Skinz I have found over a number of vehicles will actually stop the glazing, I noticed thet where I didn't have the film it was getting sunburnt, works well against big goolies also just a bastard to apply if you have a lot of curved bits.
i have used BRASSO on perspex before works good

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well time and a few kms of dirt and tar and the rims are better than before but still not great, I think if I want them back to looking great its pull them off, remove tyres and give them a soda blast then a paint job.......... be nice but thats not going to happen, if I do that I can see it being a daisy chain as I will want other bits redone, just ignore them I think................... a run along some red dirt and it all looks the same anyways .............