Exterior Rear dust sealing under van

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
@crackacoldie and/or @chartrock I know you have both done/did it but can you or anyone post a pic of the way you sealed under the rear of the Expanda.

I know it was siliconed but what type did you use? Did you use run of the mill silicone or sikaflex?

Thanks in advance

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Another thread I'll be keeping an eye on. I had a look under my 17.56 over the weekend. It appears to be sealed with silicone from the factory where the rear fibreglass meets the floor. I couldn't see the big gap people have been talking about

Reactions: cruza driver

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Mine has the gap which I am going to seal, using the right silicone is my priority :) Only want to do it once 8-)

Its one of those jobs I should have done a couple of outback trips ago :) and a job I have been meaning to do even when heading into the High Country.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I suppose it depends on the rear of your rig, mine has the bed at the back and the join mentioned had a gap which I sealed up but when I put the cam on I had pulled the sealing out and never replaced it, I have since been rummaging around behind the tail lights and even after dirt roads it didn't have much dust in there but I had sealed earlier where the cables run into the body as they weren't done well originally so that may be part of the problem of dust incursion.
I am going to reseal the gap with just cheapy mastic which will allow movement where silastic can open up, just stick gun in gap, run and squeeze but will leave a small gap for water to get away if it gets in via a light fitting or something.
If dust is getting in at the back then I would suggest you have another opening to deal with as well.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
image.jpg

Not the greatest photo, but under the back bed, where the fibreglass rolls to meet the chassis and subframe, I had a big gap, the leads straight into the cupboard under the back bed and overhead cupboards. I filled with run of the mill silicon in a thick bead, took 1.5 tubes to fill.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I sealed my Ex-Panda with silicone (selleys I think) it was a fairly large gap so used a fair bit. I should have tacked in some aluminium angle first, then sealed it, but was in a bit of a hurry. but it worked OK

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats interesting @crackacoldie I thought it would have been a seperate compartment like mine, I have a hard wall at the back of the bed cupboard with the tail lights section totally seperate except for cable runs, in that case I would be doing a good seal run for sure.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Hi @cruza driver here is a link to the original post with a pic. I'm afraid I don't know the type of silastic as it was done by my favourite repair agent when they were doing some other warranty work.

@Drover, the van is the same as yours and apparently the top cupboards can get dust up there as there are passages up either side of the bed from the gap under the van.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Probably coming thru the cable runs then, I would remove a tail light and give the tunnel section a hit with a can of styro on either side if thats the case, as trying to plug the upper cable runs in the cupboard is near impossible.
I'm surprised mine doesn't have any dust leaks really.
The gaps would be as the rear of the van is just one composite panel which caps the end off, if the seals aren't done then it sucks, as they say.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
has anyone got a solution for the huge holes in the floor for the other half of the A/C unit that is beneath the pantry/wardrobe in the 14 footer. These are not gaps but manufactured for ventilation/airflow when the A/C is being used. A removable cover of some sort would be the go.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
has anyone got a solution for the huge holes in the floor for the other half of the A/C unit that is beneath the pantry/wardrobe in the 14 footer. These are not gaps but manufactured for ventilation/airflow when the A/C is being used. A removable cover of some sort would be the go.
Rubber flap maybe?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
But it is a sealed unit, sucks air in at the bottom and blows it out the side vent, if you are getting dust into the cupboard you have a unit mount sealing problem.
Some have fitted a door over the intake vents but I have looked inside mine and bugger all dust inside the unit, might be a good idea for water crossings though.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The joint is 20mm wide at that so doesn't need heaps in there to seal, I just used $6 Bunnings stuff kept the Sika for the roof job.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
@Stone Stomper made a hinge flap for his previous van. Have a look here.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I cleaned the Starcraft with prepsol then applied the first seal with sika (black) then when it tacked off went over it again, primarily one end where the gap opened up. Sika doesn't have that offensive smell the acid cure silcones do, also it sticks better IMO.

Cruza being a few years old you will wanna get it clean. Also keep the remainder of the tube wrapped in glad wrap in the fridge lasts for ever that way.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Thanks for all your responses its much appreciated. I have never had dust in my overhead cupboards and we have traveled our fair share of dirt roads.

Over time since having the van I've carried out lots of dust sealing but this is one job I was yet to do.

As for the big holes in the floor regarding the a/c thats on my list too. More so to stop rocks etc getting flicked up in there and that could damage the condensor. And yes it would help with river crossings too.

565.jpg

513.jpg

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I like that louvred vent idea, I just have some mesh stapled over mine too stop any rocks flicking up.
I wonder of something was forgotten when the rear panel was fitted as being the reason some get dust in and some don't.