Quicky Roast Chicken

Brad & Donna

May 13, 2013
Townsville
When asking the kids what they felt like for dinner tonight they asked for " chicken like when we are camping". So I thought I would post this recipe at the same time. We nearly always take a full chook with us on our trips, not only do they freeze great, left overs (if there's any) are so versatile.

I did steal this recipe off of a TV show that I seen once but have done it several times now and it's so easy - full roast chook in under an hour, couldn't be better !

Prep time 10 min, cook time 45 min.

First step, get a full chook and cut the spine out.
image.jpg
Next cut straight through breast bone and open out to lay flat. Give it a good rub with seasoning and olive oil. I have tried plenty of combinations in seasoning or sauce, it's pretty much up to you what your taste is (or what is lying around in your pantry). Our favourites are just a mixed seasoning and lemon (which is this one) or a American style BBQ sauce basted.
image.jpg
Cook in a tray in the webber or oven. Also easy to cook straight on a BBQ grill, just turn regularly to keep the heat even. I did this once and made jerk chicken (for those that like it spicy hot) and it worked awesome. For this version I slice a lemon and lay on top, as it cooks the juice baste's and keeps it moist.
image.jpg
It called a Quicky roast because laying it out flat halves the cooking time but gives all the flavour of traditional roast because the bones are still intact. This chook was a medium large size and only took 40 mins on about 180-200 deg. If you like the skin real crispy just cook it a bit hotter.
image.jpg

The second best part of doing a chook this was is how easy it is to serve, because you have already split it in half the major bones are gone. Cut cut the legs and thighs straight off then cut straight thought middle of breast and you have a quartered chicken in a flash.

Easy, easy and any flavour you like makes this one of our family favourites.

Enjoy.

AddItUp

Sep 29, 2013
Sounds great! Mrs AddItUp has placed her order for the weekend. :)

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Looks great. We buy ours from Woolworths or IGA pre done ready to roast for around $9.00. Always have one in freezer at home, take one on trips.

Ren77

Nov 7, 2013
North Queensland
Mmmm that looks so delicious Donna, I just have to learn how to cut the spine out of a chicken lol....yours looks so neat!