Quarantine Dreaming

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well kids, now is the time to dream up that next trip, prep the mobile house and go online to order those bits you need and while doing so help the economy..........

Hoping we can be let loose again by July I think a little wander out to St George, Quilpie, Erromanga, Thargomindah, Eulo, Cunnamulla locality might even wander a bit further North/west.................................... if not then I can see some modifications to my boat getting done, a centre console position so I can move some of the weight forward my big bum and the engine sitting down the back is a bit too much...........................
If this stay at home goes longer I may ask "Anna The Plank" for a refund on my van rego, I'm sure she will see the sense..........................see I told you it was for dreamiing...

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Locked and loaded, road trip in the van to nth QLD for us in Sept where we've got a 50ft bareboat chartered in the Whitsundays ... Capt Crusty at your service

images.jpeg-12.jpg

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
I’m booked into Hidden Valley caravan park for the V8 supercars in July fingers crossed we’ll make it but not placing bets just yet. Caravan washed and in shed, Jeep washed and polished today, windows need cleaning and lawns need mowing then I’m bored

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Ive made an error ... its Rear Admiral Crusty

Oh this will be good...... Crusty Mangles with a beard and sunburnt bum.

All excitement here, I'm sorting my brass cartridges cases by maker, something to while awaythe time till the wheather improves for fishing, they better not shut down the boat ramp.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crusty181

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If your too young to know what " Mangles" refer to Google " Alby Mangles" ............................. as young sailors we all watched his shows it wasn't for Alby though................. actually The Crustycon is about the same age I think...........

images

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I'm advised I can dream all I like, it seems I've been dreaming in the wrong direction, no Go West Lad its Go South, it's Canberra to catch up with grandkids and future Canadian Daughter In Law who has come to Oz to be shown around by son only to find the Grand Tour and visiting us in April is now scuppered, Bushfires locked them down now bugs, so hopefully we can get down before October when she heads back to the land of Maple Syrup.................... all this and she still loves the place and she's only seen the ACT, wait till she gets to QLD, won't want to get on the plane.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
No bald headed fella, shark already got him then ?????? .... Whats that shadow lurking under the fella ???? .......

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Dreaming of putting a Genny Box on the back of Big Mal since I don't want it in back of the Jeeperific and while I have a nice alloy unit picked out, I'm wondering if anyone has mounted one so they can run it in the box and not have it drumming away in the van, venting and stuff isn't any drama just noise suppression and if Gennies get you twitching then stay away from the keyboard as I don't care, mine is used for washing machine and when I cop heaps of cloudy days..... and occasionally to annoy some "Holier than Thou" campers, at one with nature so if their fire smoke fills your van you should be rejoicing with the smells of the bush...............
So your ideas on mounts for Box/Genny would be appreciated to confirm my ideas are on the right track.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I cant believe people that take generators into natures wonderland, which clashes with my zen, my iPhone, Toyota Yaris, Gucci runners etc etc

Ok, now thats out of the way, my gennie has always lived in the shower which is a testament to the shower and floor strength of the Jayco. Carriage on the rear bar isnt such an issue, but running it in the box would i suspect need a bumper with zero flex or it will vibrate your teeth out

Last edited:
Reactions: Tone

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
I would suspect that if you intend to run the generator in a box on the back of Big Mal you are going to have to pay particular attention to vibration,
Given the right conditions, the van can act as a sound box considerably amplifying vibrations from the generator. The chassis can ensure that the vibrations are transmitted to the sound box.
Mounting the generator on a base that is then separated from the floor of the box with suitable sound and vibration isolation feet will likely be needed.

My first step would be to jerry rig some sort of simple base to the rear bumper to hold the generator, get someone inside the van, and run the generator first on the base and then get someone to hold it above the base.
Get the person inside to take a good walk around the entire van for both tests to determine if vibrations can be heard or felt.
Then repeat the test again varying the load on the generator from idle to full power.

It is important to walk around the entire van. Because of the nature of vibrations and audio of a van's environment there may well be nulls where cancellations occur reducing the effect and other places where vibration and audio from a number of surfaces combine to increase the effect. They may also well be resonances at some frequency where the effect is magnified.

If all is well, then good. If not, then you will need to investigate isolating the base with feet to isolatae the sound and vibration from the generator.
Damped springs, engine mounts, might be worth a try.

If you are happy with the end result, then go buy the box to enclose it.

cheers
Mike

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Our next trip will be June well maybe probly not Echuca steam festival again the only things i need for the van is a KOJACK and a Side winding Manutec jockey wheel but the cruiser my bull bar payout will go to GVM upgrade but i could easy loose thousands on it new exurghst system ... idrive ...better tyres be nice .... catch can working well so far

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Our next trip will be June well maybe probly not Echuca steam festival again the only things i need for the van is a KOJACK and a Side winding Manutec jockey wheel but the cruiser my bull bar payout will go to GVM upgrade but i could easy loose thousands on it new exurghst system ... idrive ...better tyres be nice .... catch can working well so far
Hang on, have you and the Echuca c/park kissed and made up ???

Reactions: Drover