Pizza Stone for Weber BabyQ

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
I am hoping someone can help me - we have just bought a BabyQ and I'm looking for a bigger pizza stone to use - the small Weber brand one is not big enough!

Something around 27-30cm would be perfect! I've only been able to find actual pizza trays around this size - would it cook ok if I just put the tray onto the trivet, or do you really need the pizza stone for it to work out?

I've seen that some people cut down larger stones, but I don't have the tools etc to do this..

I've never cooked pizza with a pizza stone before, let alone in a Weber, so it's a whole new thing for me!

Any advice/info would be much appreciated! :)

Ren77

Nov 7, 2013
North Queensland
I am hoping someone can help me - we have just bought a BabyQ and I'm looking for a bigger pizza stone to use - the small Weber brand one is not big enough!

Something around 27-30cm would be perfect! I've only been able to find actual pizza trays around this size - would it cook ok if I just put the tray onto the trivet, or do you really need the pizza stone for it to work out?

Sandra, I just ended up buying the additional pizza tray so that when one pizza was cooked, the other was right to go in. We will be testing this out next weekend when we go away for our shake down trip. There is the pizza stone, then the little silver tray that sits on your pizza stone that has the pizza on it. I don't even know how long it will take for one pizza to cook so with two hungry kids, they will no doubt be fed first lol

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Thanks Ren77, yes I was looking at them this morning at Barbeques Galore and the book that came with it said cook time was approx. 18 mins - my kids would devour that little pizza in about 10secs, which is why I am hoping to find something a bit bigger....

I did find some 30cm pizza stones online which might just squeeze into the Weber - could I used a standard pizza tray (like the ones in Woolies etc), to place on top of the stone to cook?

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Forgot to add that putting it on a tray would be much easier and tidier than trying to cook straight on the stone I imagine.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
We cook pizzas all the time on our q220... It takes the aldi pizza stones but doubt that they would fit into the baby Q's. We generally put the pizzas onto a normal oven tray but then out that on top of the pizza stone on the trivet with all foil underneath.

image.jpg

We found if we don't do the all foil the bottom of the pizza burns. We generally find cooking time of about 20mins is normal. We are actually just about to do some for tea tonight!

BJ.

Reactions: Flossymk1 and Ren77

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
We have a 220 as well and put the stone straight on the grill and when hot put the pizza in the tray onto the stone 12 mins for us. We make our own dough. If you get a stone that doesn`t fit get someone with a masonry disc in a angle grinder to take a smidge off one side.

Reactions: cruza driver

Grano n play

Apr 18, 2013
Perth W.A
We've been cooking pizzas on our baby q for ages , and have always cooked straight onto stone. I found one that was about 33 cm big, which was a little big so I grounded it back on the edges, you would be surprised how easily it cuts back image.jpg

Reactions: skippy and Ren77

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
When it's just the two of us away we just cook ours on the small stone using the weber instructions (foil, trivet, stone and tray) we add a couple of small garlic bread rolls half way through cooking.

If more than the 2 of us I half cook one pizza first, then fully cook the second and put the half cooked one in again for about 7 minutes to finish while pigging out on the first one (Or is it the second one... I'm confusing myself!!!) :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nagga's and Ren77

Dede

Mar 12, 2014
Bellarine
Hi Flossymk1, why use a pizza stone, more weight to carry, have to be gentle with it as they break, so need to pack securely and more money to spend on Weber extras. See my post in what's cooking re cooking pizza on our bbq. I have also made them with fresh home made pizza dough, but hey I'm lazy and now purchase the Mission pizza bases, also they come in an oblong shape, so fit better on bbq and makes 6 good size slices of pizza.

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Hi Flossymk1, why use a pizza stone, more weight to carry, have to be gentle with it as they break, so need to pack securely and more money to spend on Weber extras. See my post in what's cooking re cooking pizza on our bbq. I have also made them with fresh home made pizza dough, but hey I'm lazy and now purchase the Mission pizza bases, also they come in an oblong shape, so fit better on bbq and makes 6 good size slices of pizza.

Thanks for the info - I have a normal pizza tray that will fit into the Weber, and wondered if this would work? As everyone seems to use/favour the pizza stones..

I do have a pizza stone at home that has never been used (still in the box), but it's slightly too big so I would need to get the sides grinded off as everyone suggests - just don't have any tools to do the job :( Maybe I can ask my neighbour do it?

If a standard pizza tray will work just as well I would probably prefer it, because as you say, I wouldn't need to stress about it breaking in transit etc.

So many things to think about!!!!! lol

Reactions: Ren77

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Ok problem solved I think! I went next door and my lovely neighbour trimmed my pizza stone for me!
pizza stone.JPG
I probably should have measured it a bit better so the trimmed edges were closer to the side of the bbq, but oh well, it's still plenty big enough :)

I will take a couple of pizza trays with me next weekend as well, so if I do manage to break the stone in transit or it cracks whilst cooking, at least I will have a back up plan lol - it's only a fairly thin stone so I don't know how it will go on the bbq...

Reactions: dagree and Ren77

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Yeah @Ren77 I'm happy about the bigger size - the small weber one was just too tiny for my hungry lot! :p

Now to figure out how to get it to our destination in one piece! Might wrap it in a towel or something - does anyone have any awesome pizza stone storage ideas?