Out with the old in with the new

rags

Well I’m not sure whether this is the time that I need to resign from Expandasdownunder or I get expelled as a member

After 10 or so years of owning our baby 12 ft Expanda outback and before that 2 other Jayco wind up campers, we have got a new ( to us) van that is not a Jayco.
After looking around at our options for a van that is not overtly big but had the features to allow us to start travelling on extended trips as we dip our toes into semi retirement, we found an 18 month old Lotus offgrid in a 15‘6”configuration with the features we desired. Although a new van would have been nice We neither wanted to wait the ridiculous build times nor pay the premium prices manufacturers are asking these days. We wanted to start travelling now and not in 2024.

So with the new van maxing out at 2700k, our current Prado 150s was not going to cut the mustard with 2500kg max tow capacity, we knew we were also going to need a new tow tug. So after placing an order on a V6 Ranger but not being guaranteed a vehicle until at least November/December I looked at plan B and was lucky to find a new Landcruiser 300 in the desirable (for me) base model GX configuration which was available for Immediate pickup although in Melbourne. So a quick plane trip south I had the keys and took the opportunity to drive back home to Brisbane earlier this week. First impression is what a smooth, quite, powerful vehicle. It will take us in comfort on our upcoming journey without doubt.

Still a lot to do to set up the cruiser with a tow pro along with an Anderson plugs to be fitted etc, maybe a bull bar and a bit of other gear.
i have pretty much sorted the van out fixing a few things up.
The Prado was quickly sold this week without advertising it and so I will shortly pull the Expanda out to tidy it up and then put it up for sale.
The old and the new

Attachments

• 4F994A1A-6D42-4A08-BF35-D68A068EE7A9.jpeg
    4F994A1A-6D42-4A08-BF35-D68A068EE7A9.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 225
  • 830FA25F-33A2-4FDE-9980-C0A88605EFAB.jpeg
    830FA25F-33A2-4FDE-9980-C0A88605EFAB.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 206
  • 8FE6296E-9BCD-4F0A-A185-22E3244A9965.jpeg
    8FE6296E-9BCD-4F0A-A185-22E3244A9965.jpeg
    554.9 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Well I’m not sure whether this is the time that I need to resign from Expandasdownunder or I get expelled as a member

After 10 or so years of owning our baby 12 ft Expanda outback and before that 2 other Jayco wind up campers, we have got a new ( to us) van that is not a Jayco.
After looking around at our options for a van that is not overtly big but had the features to allow us to start travelling on extended trips as we dip our toes into semi retirement, we found an 18 month old Lotus offgrid in a 15‘6”configuration with the features we desired. Although a new van would have been nice We neither wanted to wait the ridiculous build times nor pay the premium prices manufacturers are asking these days. We wanted to start travelling now and not in 2024.

So with a new van maxing out at 2700k, our current Prado 150s was not going to cut the mustard with 2500kg max tow capacity, we knew we were also going to need a new tow tug. So after placing an order on a V6 Ranger but not being guaranteed a vehicle until at least November/December I looked at plan B and was lucky to find a new Landcruiser 300 in the desirable (for me) base model GX configuration which was available for Immediate pickup although in Melbourne. So a quick plane trip south I had the keys and took the opportunity to drive back home to Brisbane earlier this week. First impression is what a smooth, quite, powerful vehicle. It will take us in comfort on our upcoming journey without doubt.

Still a lot to do to set up the cruiser with a tow pro along with an Anderson plugs to be fitted etc, maybe a bull bar and a bit of other gear.
The Prado was quickly sold this week without advertising it and so I will shortly pull the Expanda out to tidy it up and then put it up for sale.
The old and the new
Yee haa, happy travels.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It sounds like a dream rig @rags and we look forward to hearing about your mods and travels for sure.............................. Like many including me we moved on from our Expandas but the knowledge base is still there and can be of great value to the site so I think many will agree there is no need to retire from Expandas.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Definitely don’t retire from the forum, many others have gone your way and still contribute greatly.
It looks like a terrific setup you have and will make your retirement that much more enjoyable. Keep us up to date with your mods and your travels.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland

So with the new van maxing out at 2700k, our current Prado 150s was not going to cut the mustard with 2500kg max tow capacity, we knew we were also going to need a new tow tug. So after placing an order on a V6 Ranger but not being guaranteed a vehicle until at least November/December I looked at plan B and was lucky to find a new Landcruiser 300 in the desirable (for me) base model GX configuration which was available for Immediate pickup although in Melbourne. So a quick plane trip south I had the keys and took the opportunity to drive back home to Brisbane earlier this week. First impression is what a smooth, quite, powerful vehicle. It will take us in comfort on our upcoming journey without doubt.

The old and the new
Good luck @rags . Isn't it great when it all comes together - a more suitable van for you both and a better tug to go with it - and all without too much drama. With having the experience of previous vans, you will be better able to do things that you know really work!!

Last edited:

rags

Definitely don’t retire from the forum, many others have gone your way and still contribute greatly.
It looks like a terrific setup you have and will make your retirement that much more enjoyable. Keep us up to date with your mods and your travels.
Thanks @chartrock , I won’t be going anywhere, you moderate a great forum that in my mind is successful as it is free of the crap that is seen on other forums.
The plan is to take a gap year in the new year and hit the road for an extended trip. In the meantime I will get onto setting the car up. Van is basically sorted as I have spent the last few weeks tidying up things including redoing the gas service to the slide out kitchen.

Reactions: chartrock

rags

Good luck @rags . Isn't it great when it all comes together - a more suitable van for you both and a better tug to go with it - and all without too much drama. With having the experience of previous vans, you will be better able to do things that you know really work!!
Thanks @Boots in Action , yes the good thing is that the van has done one trip to the Kimberley and so I can see the failings and fix things. The previous owner I don’t think was very handy and so neglected a few things and so it need attentoon, simple things like the bathroom sliding door had a broken roller and as part of the fix I put blocks on the top of the door so it can’t bounce up and down on the slide killing the roller. The gas to the slide out kitchen was non compliant and dodgy and so I have replaced that service. I also swapped one 4 kg gas bottle to a 9 kg welding a new holder on.
I am quite attached to my Prado as it is set up perfectly and so the new car is not so exciting as I have to start over again and is more daunting with an electrical fit out to come, plus storage solutions etc.
The old expanda needs a scrub n polish and someone will get a great van.

Reactions: Boots in Action

rags

It sounds like a dream rig @rags and we look forward to hearing about your mods and travels for sure.............................. Like many including me we moved on from our Expandas but the knowledge base is still there and can be of great value to the site so I think many will agree there is no need to retire from Expandas.
Thanks @Drover, yes I quite like this forum so will hang around aware that many others have moved on from their expanda into other vans that suit their travel needs better.
i will try and document my mods and travels.

Reactions: Drover

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Thanks @Boots in Action , yes the good thing is that the van has done one trip to the Kimberley and so I can see the failings and fix things. The previous owner I don’t think was very handy and so neglected a few things and so it need attentoon, simple things like the bathroom sliding door had a broken roller and as part of the fix I put blocks on the top of the door so it can’t bounce up and down on the slide killing the roller. The gas to the slide out kitchen was non compliant and dodgy and so I have replaced that service. I also swapped one 4 kg gas bottle to a 9 kg welding a new holder on.
I am quite attached to my Prado as it is set up perfectly and so the new car is not so exciting as I have to start over again and is more daunting with an electrical fit out to come, plus storage solutions etc.
The old expanda needs a scrub n polish and someone will get a great van.
Well done there @rags . Being handy does give you the enthusiasm and satisfaction in doing a good job and know how reliable it then is. And the mods just keep on coming until you are too old to care or you sell the van and someone else gets all the benefits - just like your Prado. A great start!!