Our new 16.49.3

Patto

Jul 14, 2013
Perth
Hi all,

We picked up our new 16.49.3 touring Expanda from Caravanland in Perth last week and had our first test run down to Koombana Bay Holiday Park in Bunbury over last weekend.

The options we included was
- external shower
- bed converter
- shelves for robe
- 100 ah battery
- control panel
- privacy screens
- annexe

The handover went smoothly except for installing the electronic brakes into our Jeep JC. Ours is the MY2014 model and i don't think they had done any before because the controller had trouble talking to the car and after about 3 hours they gave up and I had to come back the next day to take the car to the auto electricians across the road to get sorted. No big deal as all is working well now, but was a bit disappointing to have to leave empty handed the first day.

Anyway we got the van home on Tuesday morning and I had to go back to work for the rest of the day as well as all day Wednesday, so we didn't get much of a chance for a practice before leaving Thursday for the test run.

We didn't use a WDH, just the standard Jeep hitch and when we hooked the van up the car barely moved so it was recommended to go without the WDH and see how the van tows and put one on later if needed. The Van towed beautifully, hardly noticed it there. As it was the first run towing in the car I kept the speed to between 80 and 85 km/h as recommended by Jeep (for the first 800kms) and returned 10.2 litres/100km on the way down and 9.8 on the way back (according to the trip meter). Used less than half the tank for about 330kms towing and 130kms unhitched highway driving.

This is our first van (although I had caravan holidays as a kid and we have stayed at caravan parks in cabins before) and we (wife & 2 kids boy 10 and girl 7) loved it. For the 4 days we were out there seemed to be heaps of room, we even had a few cupboards empty and the shower and toilet were great for the night time visits. I was pleasantly surprised how good the water pressure and temperature of the hot water was.

Only a couple of things didn't go as well. The awning was quite noisy in the wind the first night, but for the remainder of the trip I put it down before going to bed and this made a big difference. I didn't realise you needed an adapter for the waste pipes, until I tried to attach the hose and it didn't fit. Have since spoken to the dealer and he will give me one, but mean't I had to make frequent trips with the bucket. The final one was the reversing into the site. Due to work commitments I couldn't get the van until a couple of days before going on the test run, so didn't have any chance to practice before hand. One of the guys at a nearby site helped me out and we got the expanda in the right place. I guess I'll be down the shopping centre car park next weekend practicing.

All in all has been great fun and an excellent experience. Can't wait until the next trip.

Here are some pics.
Cheers
Patto.
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Very nice @Patto, was thinking along the same lines as Pace, also a centre curved rafter helps with wind and water....enjoy! :)

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Reversing is a confidence thing that you get with practice, thats a good idea to head to a carpark to practice. Practice backing both ways and a tip if you both have mobile phones is to ring the wife and using your bluetooth talk through that rather than yelling out. With the awning as Pace said and rope and peg it down too.

Reactions: blacky

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Where is the best place to get these bits of gear @Burnsy? I'll have to get some too.

I ordered our van with curved roof rafters so i'm assuming Jayco would sell them or maybe Caravans Plus. I also bought the adjustable strap type of anti flapper from Caravans Plus but @Pace might be talking about the solid bar type that clamps on to awning and i'm not sure where to buy from, i'm sure someone will offer places to buy from.
By the way, that's a funny place for a fox to have a snooze in your avatar! :D

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Yep, agree with above, an Aussie Traveller anti flap kit will make the world of difference and whilst at it you might as well go a centre rafter. Spring loaded ropes etc all help.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Yep, got the anti flap kit and curved roof bars from Tebbs as they made the annexe for us, though they will sell them without getting an annexe
Make world of difference for awning stability/ security. Pace.

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
I actually made my avatar before I got the van. Now that we have it maybe I should change my avatar pic to be a little more 'politically correct'?

Or should I stand true to my beliefs and my love of conservation hunting and show my other passions?

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Hi Patto,
Congrats on your new van.
In relation to the fitting of your brake controller to your Jeep, what type of controller is it and where did they mount it?
I'm picking up a 2014 Laredo in two weeks and having Jayco install my brake controller when I pick up my new van in late November.
Getting slightly anxious about them doing it now. They've already suggested mounting the controller under the seat...?

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
Congratulations on your van. With awning as others have said use de flappers and peg it down with spring loaded guy ropes. Having been caught out at 2:00 am when a SW front came thru I always watch the weather and roll the awning up most nights.

Patto

Jul 14, 2013
Perth
Hi Patto,
Congrats on your new van.
In relation to the fitting of your brake controller to your Jeep, what type of controller is it and where did they mount it?
I'm picking up a 2014 Laredo in two weeks and having Jayco install my brake controller when I pick up my new van in late November.
Getting slightly anxious about them doing it now. They've already suggested mounting the controller under the seat...?
Hi @BigSkiddy Mine is installed on the side of drivers footwell. There are some other posts on the forum about having the controller installed in the front console, under the pop up lid. I asked the installer about putting it in there, but he said he would need to remove the centre console, dash to get in, so I thought better of it and settled for the footwell. Just need to make sure there is enough room to move the seat back and forwards, especially if another driver has the seat further forward than you do. If you have the controller under the seat will you be able to access on the fly? Cheers Patto.

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Under the seat sounds ridiculous.
I want it in the centre cubby, and I'm expecting the same excuse from the installer.
I'm thinking of mounting the controller myself in cubby prior to picking up the van and have the auto electricicon connect it up on the day.

Are you able to post a pic where yours is mounted?