Oops

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
They must have been saying non PC stuff as the page has gone.........................
hang on here it is again, the link looks the same as @Brente1982 but the one above doesn't seem to work, or is it my puta ???

https://www.caravancampingsales.com...fety-concerns-after-caravan-roll-over-124976/

Towing training, could be a costly exercise as to do it properly you would need a demo van set up with chains so when you do jack-knife recovery the van doesn't land on you, same as the high end trailer training, chains stop the trailer from wiping you out if you stuff up on the skid pan..............big time brown undies event.......... Need somewhere like the Bathurst track or Lang Lang to do it properly, Woolies car park or some showground wouldn't cut it.........medical chopper on stand by as well.....................................

Last edited:

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
The skid pan approach would give people a taste and using a demo car and van to start that allowed load changes to go from good setups to bad setups. Then progress to a skid pan with your vehicle and a van that allows the triggering of sway and the chains and ESC override so an instructor can kick it in to save the day.
I do sometimes wonder if people understand the physical feedback that you get in the car associated with sway early enough. I now have a different van and an updated tow vehicle. This means that , all the feedback items I need to re-learn, which I will be doing at reduced speeds. With the old car and van I knew that if I wanted to pass a truck in a passing lane I could take it up to 110 pass and then drop back to cruising speed. I would not have the same convidence with the new configuraion until I knew what it feels like to tow at varying speeds and conditions. Had the same issue with new van coming out of Brisbane and it not towing well, but this was more tracking to road conditions and some adjustments to WDH. After 1000 kms I was comfortable with the handling and the feel.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It would really entail teaching people how to drive their car first off as most don't, they can steer but they cannot operate/control it, well most anyway, skid control, grear/brake fail, blow out tech all those fun things then learn how to handle a trailer. to do it properly would be a big course, a bit like the DECCA Courses or mt Cotton jobs...............................
I've been doing some controlled slides in the Jeep to see if the Puter and I will have an issue if I try to control a slide with it doing its thing as well, it seems okay as I react before the puter starts its power dance to wheels still more testing though......................... Since the car computers are set up for steerers I have wondered what happens when there is a driver behind the wheel................ I don't want it braking a wheel as I turn the steering and apply power to counter something, we could end up fighting each other.....and of course being an all wheel drive all sorts of things can happen..... early days in my checks.
Mrs D is not impressed with me either, so she stays at home..........

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
They must have been saying non PC stuff as the page has gone.........................
hang on here it is again, the link looks the same as @Brente1982 but the one above doesn't seem to work, or is it my puta ???

https://www.caravancampingsales.com...fety-concerns-after-caravan-roll-over-124976/

Towing training, could be a costly exercise as to do it properly you would need a demo van set up with chains so when you do jack-knife recovery the van doesn't land on you, same as the high end trailer training, chains stop the trailer from wiping you out if you stuff up on the skid pan..............big time brown undies event.......... Need somewhere like the Bathurst track or Lang Lang to do it properly, Woolies car park or some showground wouldn't cut it.........medical chopper on stand by as well.....................................

@Drover, would most people who have NOT done much towing start off with a 3 tonne (unladen??) van and a tug that is less than the weight of the van?? Never a good combo to be towing something heavier than you are, let alone not properly (and evenly) loaded. Basic rule for newbies and should not be overlooked for the experienced! This incident happened on a straight bit of road, slightly down hill and a damp road ... travelling too fast? Or hit the brakes and swerved at the same time, forgetting that there is 3 tonne plus behind you??

rags

@Drover, would most people who have NOT done much towing start off with a 3 tonne (unladen??) van and a tug that is less than the weight of the van?? Never a good combo to be towing something heavier than you are, let alone not properly (and evenly) loaded. Basic rule for newbies and should not be overlooked for the experienced! This incident happened on a straight bit of road, slightly down hill and a damp road ... travelling too fast? Or hit the brakes and swerved at the same time, forgetting that there is 3 tonne plus behind you??

Boots, I hope you aren’t making a link between the van the subject of the accident being new and the driver being new to towing.
I have seen that mentioned before but have seen on another social media site that yes the van was new but neither the tow tug or the driver were new to the life of towing a van.
Accidents sometimes happen for a variety of reasons. It gets me that every time Claytons towing pick up a wreck car and van combo that the experts come out sprucing training training training. Yet every time a car accident happens we don’t here the same cry. Many drivers could benefit from a driver awareness course.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
It is unfortunate that we often only see the news and pictures of a van accident but seldom, if ever, any later information on the cause or expert analysis of what could be done in a similar situation to avoid the accident or at least minimise the damage.

I believe that such information would be very useful to people towing caravans whatever their level of experience. And certainly way better than wading through all the armchair post analysis. I learnt some time ago to avoid those types of posts which appear in great quantities on FB and other forums.

take care
Mike

Reactions: Boots in Action

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
We will never know really @Boots in Action as Mike said never any follow up, can be as simple as slick road, I've had a 50ft vehicle go sideways down the road all because of a slick bit of tar, one braked wheel grabbed the road and the rest didn't, it all happened so fast and I had reacted with the rig back straight before I knew it happened, you don't have time to think you just react, no time to think about it.................................. didn't even have time to swear.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Boots, I hope you aren’t making a link between the van the subject of the accident being new and the driver being new to towing.
I have seen that mentioned before but have seen on another social media site that yes the van was new but neither the tow tug or the driver were new to the life of towing a van.
Accidents sometimes happen for a variety of reasons. It gets me that every time Claytons towing pick up a wreck car and van combo that the experts come out sprucing training training training. Yet every time a car accident happens we don’t here the same cry. Many drivers could benefit from a driver awareness course.

Not directly @rags . Just adding to what @millers said earlier about getting the feel of any new rig and how it performs on the road.

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
Have seen many a van, and car even, on its side coming down the big hill into Eden in NSW. Downhill section, into a dip, followed by a slight rise then down a long long hill. They all seem to end up on their side around the dip.