NS Pajero Fuel ecconomy

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
Hi,

We have just purchased a New 17.56.2 Expanda and couln't be happier (not about the long delivery time though)!

Just wondering if anyone else tows one of these vans with an NS Pajero Diesel and what sort of fuel ecconomy can I expect on average?

We have Old Man Emu suspension and I'll be looking at some WDH options or air bags, any advice on which way to go?

Cheers,

Andrew

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Hi Drewy

We have the NT Pajero so the Engine has a slight tweak over the NS, we tow a 16-49-3 I regularly average 13.5/100km with the van on worst was around 18/100km

without the van, general running around eg daily driver going to work etc best is 8.5/100 average is 10/100 most of my driving is semi-rural.

I've just add Old Man Emu set up with airbags, I have storage/fridge slide in rear and the van with a Hayman Reece WDH.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Workmate also has an NT, same fuel economy as Bushy. Considered buying it off him, mainly for the great fuel economy over my Patrol. Out of my price range though:p

I've just add Old Man Emu set up with airbags, I have storage/fridge slide in rear and the van with a Hayman Reece WDH.

Sorry to Hijack the post, but how is the OME suspension going Bushy?

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Workmate also has an NT, same fuel economy as Bushy. Considered buying it off him, mainly for the great fuel economy over my Patrol. Out of my price range though:p

Sorry to Hijack the post, but how is the OME suspension going Bushy?

It's going well, pretty happy with it, did our first tow today, just to add to my fuel economy quotes above, going to Canberra today with the van on it was a bit windy and I was giving it some right foot, 16/100, comming home without the van 8.6/100

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Its a huge difference with and without van in consumption but the 8.6 without seems to be a cracker!

I can't get the pathfinder below 10 although others say its easily done :)....

In terms of weight distribution I would recommend this over air bags personally. Air bags are great as a secondary thing to assist but the weight distribution bar helps by not only raising the rear of the vehicle but by putting weight back on the front wheels to correct sloppy steering and bad breaking.

Personally with the 17 behind a Pajero diesel we had the weight hitch and never had one issue, it was thirsty but it sat dead level so I don't think air bags or anything else would have helped any more.

When do you get the new rig drewy??

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
We are being told it will be off the line end of Aug and should have it by mid Sept, fingers crossed. My ecconony figures are never quite as good as others (Driver error I'm sure), good to gauge roughly what to expect though.

I've had Old Man Emu suspension for about 2 yrs now and it's holding up well, no complaints at all. In my previous car which was a GU patrol it didn't perform as well, felt a bit soggy, not so in the Pajero though.

Should I wait till i've picked up the van to have the correct WDH fitted or can they reccomend the correct unit judging by the quoted weight figures?

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
It's going well, pretty happy with it, did our first tow today, just to add to my fuel economy quotes above, going to Canberra today with the van on it was a bit windy and I was giving it some right foot, 16/100, comming home without the van 8.6/100

8.6, thats impressive, go the mighty NT! I get about 11 in the Patrol, not towing, but was 10 or just under with highway tyres. Noticed a bit of a difference when the BFG AT's went on, steel bullbar and roof racks. I'm sure there will be a slight change when suspension is done as well (one day...:rolleyes:).

Drewy, hopefully mid August is true. We were originally told mid may when we ordered.........still waiting:(