My 2014 16.49-3 Expanda Outback

Dotcom7

May 11, 2014
Sydney NSW
Only had the Expanda a few months and we are loving it..Done quite a few trips mostly free camping andway to many Mods to list.. This modding thing is addictive. My wife thinks im having an affair with the van as i'm always working on it..
Here are a few pics..................
. Jayco200p.jpg Just picked up all nice and new....

IMG_1422.JPG All packed and ready for a 24 Mountain bike race weekend in Canberra
IMG_1446.JPG All setup bush camping on the water

Here are a few Mods I have done

IMG_1407.JPG Fabricated new Gas bottle holders to fit the Light weight waterproof Spacecase. It is home to the Webber Baby Q and all the cooking gear, Flat Pack fire pit, Fresh water hoses, awning tarps. Its amazing how much it holds and is water and dust proof.

IMG_1408.JPG Gas Bottle relocation

IMG_1409.JPG Space for Firewood where the spare tyre used to go which is now relocated at the back underneath with a winch setup.

IMG_1410.JPG 2 x 100mm storage pipes for tent poles, awning bars etc

IMG_1411.JPG PVC foldup chairs under front bedend

IMG_1412.JPG Alarmed cable lock to lockup the BBQ, Bikes Chairs etc...

IMG_1413.JPGAwning protector Mod

IMG_1415.JPGSolar regulator, Inverter controller

IMG_1389.JPG IMG_1390.JPG
Winch under chassis mounted for spare wheel storage

IMG_1391.JPGExtension bar to wind up and down spare tyre at side of van

IMG_1392.JPG Mounted to top of rear bar chassis mount using existing holes with longer bolts. No new holes needed to be drilled. Nice high fit to keep full rear clearance.
Projector IP2000 InverterInverter.jpg

RCD-MOBILE-image(1).jpg
RVD safety switch The unit uses the active and neutral sensor wires to monitor any voltage detection and current flowing to the earth/sensor wire to provide true earth leakage protection when running a generator or inverter power

DC-12V-230AH.jpg
230AH Deepcycle AGM Battery. This thing is awesome for the power hungry running the microwave, charging all the i devices the kids have. Lighter and smaller than 2 x 110AH batteries.

bilge.jpg filter.jpg vent.jpg

Internal bilge blower system to stop dust getting in when travelling in the red dirt using a washable filter.

Also done all the usual mods like tidy up Jayco's poor 12v wiring, added USB and acc plug outlets throughout, water filter for drinking water, convert hanging clothes cupboard to pantry, Fridge fan internal and external Mod, cover all water pipes and wiring underneath with flex conduit and plumber pipe covering, 50+ John Guest circlips on all water pipes as jayco generally forget to put them in, bed end storm covers, various hooks and netting to store power cables, broom and ladder under rear bed end.

Ive been a busy boy but the vans almost ready for the big half lap i will be doing with the family in August.
Getting excited with only a few months to go before we depart.

Cheers

Dean

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Top stuff Dean! I'm worn out from reading all those mods let alone doing them, well done:encouragement:. The space case is a ripper idea.

Last edited:

Dotcom7

May 11, 2014
Sydney NSW
Looks great. Well done! @Dean Leek
I'd love some more info on your bilge pump dust proofer.

Basically ive mounted a marine bilge blower under my dining lounge chair that has a car rampod air filter mounted directly through the floor (to filter clean air coming in) and is protected by the chassis crossmember underneath. I used hard silicone intercooler elbows for the ducting to keep it neat and compact for the pipework. It blows 270 cfm of clean air throughout the inside cabin to create a positive pressure to keep the dust coming in the door vents, rangehood vents, and any other vent to the outside atmosphere. It flows really good as you can feel air coming out these vents when it is on. It only draws 5 amps when running but i'm hooked up to the car driving when its being used so the batteries are charging anyway. Ive mounted a waterproof switch outside so i can switch it off for river crossings etc without having to get into the van. Cost $160 for all the bits and pieces on ebay and about and hour to install.

Dotcom7

May 11, 2014
Sydney NSW
Here are some pics of my Positive pressure dust blower setup

IMG_1460.JPG Here is the air filter and aluminium shroud i made for the Air intake mounted through the floor

IMG_1470.JPG Here the intake comes up through the floor into the blower and pumps 270 cfm of air into the van through a nice outlet.

IMG_1471.JPG Here is the outlet mounted vent mounted in the lounge seat kick panel next to the speaker

IMG_1461.JPGHere is the waterproof switch mounted outside behind the tank water inlet panel so I can turn it on and off without getting into the van whilst driving.

Can't wait to try it out in the bulldust in a few months. The wife will be happy she wont have to wipe down inside the van every day.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Great @Dean Leek thanks for the details. I'm keen to do similar. Not sure how the filter under the van will cope with water crossings and mud puddles etc, but on the positive side it avoids having to cut a hole somewhere that you may regret later!

Dotcom7

May 11, 2014
Sydney NSW

A few more mods I have done.

Alarm system with Sat tracking, SMS Alert with door triggers.

IMG_1463.JPG Storage of Step ladder, broom, elec cables, water hoses on rear bead end

IMG_1464.JPG IMG_1465.JPG Sullage hose 2 x lengths in rear bumper bar

IMG_1462.JPG Camlock fittings on sullage hose outlets with plugs to seal off whilst travelling

IMG_1466.JPG The most important Mod van mounted stainless steel bottle opener

IMG_1467.JPG Hanging cupboard pantry shelving installed

IMG_1469.JPG Gas monitor that does LEL , Carbon monoxide

IMG_1472.JPG Croc bin outside

IMG_1473.JPG Full length storage door sliders both sides in access hatches

Dotcom7

May 11, 2014
Sydney NSW
Great @Dean Leek thanks for the details. I'm keen to do similar. Not sure how the filter under the van will cope with water crossings and mud puddles etc, but on the positive side it avoids having to cut a hole somewhere that you may regret later!

It has a shroud made up around it so it faces backwards and is pointing down to minimise water directed in it. Obviously i would turn off the fan for water crossings. I probably will be avoiding water if its that high anyway as it will come in through the door and fridge vents. The filter is a washable one aswell so is easy to clean if it gets muddy.

Reactions: The Wadamses

halbster

May 13, 2014
Great mods... can I just drop my van at your place for a couple of weeks??
Is there any details on that awning protector mod? Is it a kit you can purchase I've not seen it before.

Reactions: Dotcom7

Dotcom7

May 11, 2014
Sydney NSW
Great mods... can I just drop my van at your place for a couple of weeks??
Is there any details on that awning protector mod? Is it a kit you can purchase I've not seen it before.
I got the awning covers from a member here @crustt he sells them on ebay. He does an awesome job. Fits perfect made to size. Just buy your own sail track and slide the cover on.

Reactions: The Wadamses