Solar More info on the use of flexible folding solar panels

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Just found this important info about the use and positioning of flexible solar panels and their output. Would be of interest to those members who have this type of solar generation.

5. Good ventilation - 12v devices that produce or consume power create heat. Good ventilation allows heat to escape and improves efficiency. The hotter devices get, the more power they consume.

Despite the photos you may see strewn on social media and various ads, laying your solar blanket across a hot car windscreen or bonnet is the worst place you can place it when the car is hot. Heat reduces solar cell efficiency and therefore output. Similarly, attaching flexible solar panels directly to a metal surface also results in heat transfer and a reduction in solar cell efficiency. They need an insulated air gap separation like corflute.

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Just found this important info about the use and positioning of flexible solar panels and their output. Would be of interest to those members who have this type of solar generation.

5. Good ventilation - 12v devices that produce or consume power create heat. Good ventilation allows heat to escape and improves efficiency. The hotter devices get, the more power they consume.

Despite the photos you may see strewn on social media and various ads, laying your solar blanket across a hot car windscreen or bonnet is the worst place you can place it when the car is hot. Heat reduces solar cell efficiency and therefore output. Similarly, attaching flexible solar panels directly to a metal surface also results in heat transfer and a reduction in solar cell efficiency. They need an insulated air gap separation like corflute.
The excess heat from a solar blanket can also make a small windscreen crack or star travel across your laminated windscreen

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
The excess heat from a solar blanket can also make a small windscreen crack or star travel across your laminated windscreen
Yes @poor but proud , the same thing happens when laid out flat on the hot ground, which I have often seen. Most should at least be propped up on an angle facing the sun. I have also seen them strung between two upright poles or trees facing the sun with great results. Lots of air cooling that way just like the portable (folding) glass type and roof top panels with the air gap. Up to 16% loss at 55C cell temperature, which is easily reached on a hot sunny day!!!

Reactions: Hitting the road

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Saw a bloke with a set up that his flexi jobs had a saol trak run on them and he could run them like an awning from side of van or awning barrel with a couple of poles. and a single yoked rope, mor elean to type set up............ He did say while it works well its a lot of stuffing around and was envious that I only spent 20 seconds to realign my portable... Most that I see really don't do much as they get thrown down and forgotten about..

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Most that I see really don't do much as they get thrown down and forgotten about..
That is what I see mostly too @Drover. What a waste of resource. Also, folding type with fabric don't like getting wet either. To be any good, you have to look after them. And laying them flat on the ground is not the best generating position.