18' Series Made decision to buy an Expanda!

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
Hi all. First time posting a thread here. I have been doing a lot of research on here and it has been great!
We have decided on the Touring 18.58-1. We love the storage and the club lounge. We have 3 kids (7,5 & 3).
I am considering the following options -
TV antennae
TV bracket & 22" TV
Ext 12V point
Fusion stereo
Coast Coast panel
Ext shower
Hot water service
additional 82L tank
additional 9kg gas bottle
gas ext bayonet
150W solar panel & reg
2nd battery provision only
washing machine
underslung springs to raise approx 100mm
extended draw bar (300mm)

I have however the following hesitations -
Outback Model?
I don't plan to take the van to any remote areas. I guess mostly it will probably be caravan parks. Although I do like the idea of free camping on a beach or along a river. It is a $4800 upgrade. Is it worth it?

Hot Water Service?
It is a $1300 option. Seems quite expensive. I have seen a $200 HWS on ebay for $200. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/381464860301?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Has anyone installed or used a portable system? Or would it be impracticable?

Extended Draw Bar?
I have access to a block of land in Dromana which has considerable fall and has an extreme angle from the road access onto the block, so I thought the extended bar may assist here? Or will this have an opposite effect and make it more difficult?

TV 22"?
$619 Seems expensive for a TV. I can spend much less from JB but the salesman said that Jayco option TV best suits the Caravan antennae set up and that I may not have the best quality trying to fit a normal TV. Not sure about this?

Underslung springs?
Does this affect the way the van handles? Is it a safe option?

And finally, What would be the expected discount level on a new van with all the options listed above? 5%? 10%

Thanks in advance for any advice or thoughts given!

lanso

May 1, 2016
Yeppoon Qld
Lozza T $619 is ridiculous for a 22" inch TV. All TV antennae inputs are the same, but there is a difference in the quality of the tuner in the different brands of Tv's, so I would say the salesman is fudging the truth a bit. From what I have seen I wouldn't say the Jayco supplied ones are worth twice the price. Lanso

Reactions: Delano and Lozza T

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
welcome to the forum @Lozza T
as you have probably read, we are generally a friendly bunch who like to spend others money for them on the latest "must haves"

wow, how to answer your questions......

1st things first
anything you get done at manufacture will help with your Tare load once your on the road
eg:- Hot water system, the 20kgs for the eBay one will not be factored into the build weight - so it has to come off your allowable load (generally around 475Kgs)
same as the weight for the 2nd battery
Speaking of the Hot Water option for $1300 - that includes your 2nd water tank, 2nd Gas bottle, not sure, but I think the external shower is also part of the "kit"
so, everything you were wanting (2nd water tank, 2nd gas bottle, external shower) is all in the one $1300 price -
but wait, there's more.....................
the weight of all of that will be in your New Vans Tare................
because, once they complete the build, they weigh it and then make the plate for it

now
Under slinging Axle's V's Outback
the OB (outback) does have a better re-sale value than the Touring
the Touring model is better suited for cars
the OB is better suited to 4wd's

that one is solely your decision............ (but like houses, most people "upgrade" every 3-5 years, to what better suits their needs at the time)

Extended draw bar is a "no brainer"........... easier to tow, easier to reverse, easier to maneuver around..............

TV - you can get cheaper & better from Hardly Normals or Aldi or Kogan or...................................
get the antenna - I didnt, and now think I should have........

they come with an external 12V and 240V - getting an extra one would be handy

go the stereo, having an integrated sound system is great - but I have 2 x 1000w amps in my car.......... so I dont need it.........

Coast to Coast panel - I think the Drifter is the one to get, especially if you are having more than 1 water tank (the upgrade may also be part of the $1300 they want for the hot water system)

external Gas point & Solar as standard...........?????

washing machine - lots of Pro's and Con's for it

hope this little bit helps

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
Thanks Bigcol, Lanso & Bluey. Great information!
I actually have 2 vehicle options to choose from. The family Landrover Discovery 2008 petrol model and my work car is a 2011 Dual Cab Triton 5sp.
I will look into what is exactly included with the hot water service option.
Solar is not standard on the touring model.

Thanks again.

Reactions: bigcol

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
Lozza T $619 is ridiculous for a 22" inch TV. All TV antennae inputs are the same, but there is a difference in the quality of the tuner in the different brands of Tv's, so I would say the salesman is fudging the truth a bit. From what I have seen I wouldn't say the Jayco supplied ones are worth twice the price. Lanso

Hi Lanso. Yes definitely over priced for a TV. Even if it does include the bracket it is pretty expensive. I will look at a cheaper option.
Thanks.

Reactions: bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
From my experience only:

• Outback model is worth it for sturdiness while travelling and for the things included as standard...hot water, better suspension, extra water tank, extra gas etc etc and most definately for ease of selling and holding value. (We lost very little on the sale of ours and the interest level is far higher for OBs)
  • I'd check whether the hot water is still included in OB model..and it's certainly convenient. If you want to use the van for a bit more than eating, sleeping etc it gives you a bit of independence
  • Extended draw bar. As said, a no brainer. Go for it...makes reversing easier.
  • Tv. If the price includes the antenna, booster etc it's worth it. At the very least go for the antenna as part of the build. We struggled for years with cheaper options and the jayco one was great
  • Underslung. You need it for good clearance ....caravan parks, driveways etc ...and is part of outback package
  • ESC if you can afford it....for safety and could be a major negotiating item
As Bigcol said, vehicle is relevant in making your choices. Dealers will always negotiate ...leeway is at least $1500.

Good luck.....and :welcome:

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
A few of your extras are standard items on the outback like 120w solar (upgrade to 150 for about $70) gas bayonette, ext 12v point so that reduces the price gap as well as them charging extra to undersling. The outbacks do hold their value better and do look better imo. Get the hotwater while you're building it ,one less thing to set up and you should get the extra gas bottle and tank in that price. Make sure you ask and have it on the build sheet as well. Ext drawbar and ESC are well worth it too.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
One thing to consider with options is that anything provided from factory is generally covered under warranty and Jayco so you've got an "out" if problems are encountered. Anything you do yourself, isn't and may well compromise other van features.

With that in mind, I'd include any options that involve any significant wiring, plumbing, metalwork or cabinetry. Peace of mind is often worth spending a dollar here or there in my opinion.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
As quoted in the original post.

TV antennae...................................Is a must
TV bracket & 22" TV...........................at least get it wired up and bracket
Ext 12V point.....................a must have
Fusion stereo.....................depends on how much noise you want
Coast Coast panel............................has all the info in one place
Ext shower..............................depends on your needs
Hot water service..................yes, gas/electric, portable is good but far better not to stuff around with things , on holidays.
additional 82L tank...............yes, doesn't need to be full all the time but the plumbing is done.
additional 9kg gas bottle..................yes
gas ext bayonet.............hoses are expensive and are a pain to hook up.
150W solar panel & reg.....................................big yes
2nd battery provision only.......................good idea, easy to add one if you need it.
washing machine............for long tours they are great.
underslung springs to raise approx 100mm.............yes for touring models, keeps you clear of gutters and nearly OB height.
extended draw bar (300mm).......................a must

Outback Model?
I don't plan to take the van to any remote areas. I guess mostly it will probably be caravan parks. Although I do like the idea of free camping on a beach or along a river. It is a $4800 upgrade. Is it worth it?...........If your mostly on tar then No, a up lifted tourer will do the bush trips also just not the gunbarrel, my old rig had a rolled axle and we went out around back of Hughendon, Winton and such with no dramas.

TV 22"?.................An Aldi TV will mostly out perform the expensive jobs and is way cheaper and are 12/240v, as for best fit for antennae...lol,lol.
$619 Seems expensive for a TV. I can spend much less from JB but the salesman said that Jayco option TV best suits the Caravan antennae set up and that I may not have the best quality trying to fit a normal TV. Not sure about this?

Underslung springs?
Does this affect the way the van handles? Is it a safe option?....................It is safe, and when I did it to my old 14.44 it handled better than before, it was a tourer and would sometimes bottom out in dish drains but not after I rolled the axle.

Thought I would answer this way then not miss anything..........................as for the resale, well since an OB costs more to start with then probably much of a muchness but since we all add heaps of stuff to our rigs by sale time no 2 are the same and we will never recoup the outlay, they won't give you anymore for a trade because of the extras but use them to explain the sale price later on.

Oh PS: Many welcomes to you, great start to things.

AzHaych

Mar 15, 2013
Beaconsfield, Vic
Hi @Lozza T, we have the 2015 Outback version of what you are wanting to purchase. If towing weight is not an issue for you, as the guys have said already some of the options you have listed are standard on Outback.

For us the hot water service is a no brainer, I personally wouldn't bother with the setup and storage of a portable system when you can just turn the tap to hot in your van without all the stress.

As far as discount goes, now is the time of year to go and see your Jayco dealer, I just spoke with Grant at Page Bros the other day and it has been quite, so the boys will be keen to do a deal. I am happy to let you know what we paid for ours if you PM me, I have sent lots of people down to see Grant and he has always saved them thousands off their best price.

Here is a link to my thread on ours which has some pics too.

Cheers

Az

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
From my experience only:

• Outback model is worth it for sturdiness while travelling and for the things included as standard...hot water, better suspension, extra water tank, extra gas etc etc and most definately for ease of selling and holding value. (We lost very little on the sale of ours and the interest level is far higher for OBs)
  • I'd check whether the hot water is still included in OB model..and it's certainly convenient. If you want to use the van for a bit more than eating, sleeping etc it gives you a bit of independence
  • Extended draw bar. As said, a no brainer. Go for it...makes reversing easier.
  • Tv. If the price includes the antenna, booster etc it's worth it. At the very least go for the antenna as part of the build. We struggled for years with cheaper options and the jayco one was great
  • Underslung. You need it for good clearance ....caravan parks, driveways etc ...and is part of outback package
  • ESC if you can afford it....for safety and could be a major negotiating item
As Bigcol said, vehicle is relevant in making your choices. Dealers will always negotiate ...leeway is at least $1500.

Good luck.....and :welcome:

Thanks for your advice Dobbie!

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
As quoted in the original post.

TV antennae...................................Is a must
TV bracket & 22" TV...........................at least get it wired up and bracket
Ext 12V point.....................a must have
Fusion stereo.....................depends on how much noise you want
Coast Coast panel............................has all the info in one place
Ext shower..............................depends on your needs
Hot water service..................yes, gas/electric, portable is good but far better not to stuff around with things , on holidays.
additional 82L tank...............yes, doesn't need to be full all the time but the plumbing is done.
additional 9kg gas bottle..................yes
gas ext bayonet.............hoses are expensive and are a pain to hook up.
150W solar panel & reg.....................................big yes
2nd battery provision only.......................good idea, easy to add one if you need it.
washing machine............for long tours they are great.
underslung springs to raise approx 100mm.............yes for touring models, keeps you clear of gutters and nearly OB height.
extended draw bar (300mm).......................a must

Outback Model?
I don't plan to take the van to any remote areas. I guess mostly it will probably be caravan parks. Although I do like the idea of free camping on a beach or along a river. It is a $4800 upgrade. Is it worth it?...........If your mostly on tar then No, a up lifted tourer will do the bush trips also just not the gunbarrel, my old rig had a rolled axle and we went out around back of Hughendon, Winton and such with no dramas.

TV 22"?.................An Aldi TV will mostly out perform the expensive jobs and is way cheaper and are 12/240v, as for best fit for antennae...lol,lol.

Underslung springs?
Does this affect the way the van handles? Is it a safe option?....................It is safe, and when I did it to my old 14.44 it handled better than before, it was a tourer and would sometimes bottom out in dish drains but not after I rolled the axle.

Thought I would answer this way then not miss anything..........................as for the resale, well since an OB costs more to start with then probably much of a muchness but since we all add heaps of stuff to our rigs by sale time no 2 are the same and we will never recoup the outlay, they won't give you anymore for a trade because of the extras but use them to explain the sale price later on.

Oh PS: Many welcomes to you, great start to things.

Thanks heaps Drover for your detailed response! Lots to think about.
Much appreciated!

Reactions: Drover

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
I'm pretty much in agreement with all that @Drover has already said.

The outback does come with a lot of extras, gives you the added height, as well as independent suspension, so when you add all of that up against doing it individually the OB isn't too bad value

Thanks for your opinion! Its getting harder to keep the price down as I am building a strong case now for the OB now!!!!

Reactions: Bluey

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
Hi @Lozza T, we have the 2015 Outback version of what you are wanting to purchase. If towing weight is not an issue for you, as the guys have said already some of the options you have listed are standard on Outback.

For us the hot water service is a no brainer, I personally wouldn't bother with the setup and storage of a portable system when you can just turn the tap to hot in your van without all the stress.

As far as discount goes, now is the time of year to go and see your Jayco dealer, I just spoke with Grant at Page Bros the other day and it has been quite, so the boys will be keen to do a deal. I am happy to let you know what we paid for ours if you PM me, I have sent lots of people down to see Grant and he has always saved them thousands off their best price.

Here is a link to my thread on ours which has some pics too.

Cheers

Az

Hi AzHaych. Thanks a lot for your advice. I would very much appreciate if you could tell what you paid. Not sure how to PM you.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I had a feeling there was a good one listed on eBay last week and close to Melbourne but just checked and it's gone. From memory, it was $45k.

But....when checking I also notice the scammers with expanda photos are back and there's one now listed at $18,800 at the Gold Coast.

Please don't be tempted! The description is the giveaway....no calls or emails as they're working away. Collecting other people's money!

:faint:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Oh and a PS @Lozza T , TV aerial, go for a Winegard Snow Flake it will pick up Vertical and Horizontal transmission and they are on a mast, you don't want a Jacks or other type Winegard they don't do well on vertical, others will chime in with their preference but they are the 2 that you mostly see on vans from build, lots of others aftermarket but just another thing to fiddle with....set and forget is the thing.