QLD just for fun

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
just to get the old and young minds ticking over, If you ended up ship creek near whoop whoop and had to sit it out without any help, How long would you last before things things got serious? , to keep it on an even field,fully stocked starting on a big trip, and what runs out first?

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
just to get the old and young minds ticking over, If you ended up ship creek near whoop whoop and had to sit it out without any help, How long would you last before things things got serious? , to keep it on an even field,fully stocked starting on a big trip, and what runs out first?

Interesting question @poor but proud ! In my particular case, power generation would not be a problem, and with my 3 way fridges, refrigeration is good for more than 16 or so days, water with 75 litres should last that distance without showers (phew - bird baths or local water hole/creek). I guess that it would be the food, after consuming all the fresh food, it then becomes the tinned and dry food and powdered milk for my tea/coffee and breakfast serial. So if rationing invoked immediately, I would reckon up to a month, although I would be a lot thinner. Could be a case of chasing local wildlife - what does roast goanna taste like?? As they say, you really never know until it happens. Heat and cold and the proximity to water would be major issues.

Reactions: poor but proud

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I love these scenerios, great fun ............... I would go to "On Rations" mode so no HWS use, gas would run fridge for approx 21 days so all chilled/frozen stuff would be consumed by then that wouldn't fit in Engel ... dry tucker would be supplemented by some hunting which I am far better at than fishing, water in tanks kept for drinking only would last about 3 weeks but should have sourced a supply by then, being an off grid camper for decades we could live off the land for yonks and be in relative comfort but I would have to sort things out by day 14 as the beer would have run out........
So all in all we would be good with mod cons for 3 weeks at least then have to go to hunter, gatherer mode full time which would be like old time camping trips......
But in reality since my beer would only last a week or 2 we would be in the poo.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Another good reason to get a still might have to dig my plans out for one that uses fire instead of electricity......................or just add a large ethanol tank to Big Mal......

Reactions: mfexpanda

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Another good reason to get a still might have to dig my plans out for one that uses fire instead of electricity......................or just add a large ethanol tank to Big Mal......
You are a winner now you don’t want to take the still for booze you are only going to take it to produce pure potable water when you are stranded so the missus can have a nice cup of tea, good story if you can sell it

Reactions: Crusty181

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
You are a winner now you don’t want to take the still for booze you are only going to take it to produce pure potable water when you are stranded so the missus can have a nice cup of tea, good story if you can sell it

As good as that sounds ha, didnt even cross my mind, it was all about booze in fact add a tap, the plan evolves and Imight never want to be found.....well at least for 80lts....

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I’m with crusty here (I’ll never admit it though) I always have enough food and water but if the liquor runs out that’s a whole different story
Your in survival mode, so its beyond any normal "agree with Crusty".

But i screen shotted it anyway ;)

Reactions: DRW

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
if we were fully stocked up, we would have enough food in the fridge / freezer for 21 days of normal eating with another 5-10 days in cans. But rationed, we could probably stretch it to 40 to 50 days.
Two bottles of gas would keep the fridge going for 50 days.
We have about 100l of fresh water and if only used for drinking and cooking would last about 30 days.
All cooking would be done on the chippy which would be used for damper and bread. We normally carry 2kg of plain flour and 2kg of S/R flour.

That means we have to first find a reliable way to get fresh drinkable water within 30 days.
Then we have to find food within 50 days. Not sure I have the ability to catch animals and, since I don't go fishing, we would not have rods etc.
So I would say our chances of catching fish would be pretty slim. But I would have 50 days to learn.

All washing etc would have to be done in the sea or a stream, lake, lagoon.

Another slightly different variant we have often done on backpacking trips. You go to bed in a perfectly normal world. You wake up in the morning and you are the only person left alive. What are your priorities for staying alive as long as possible? This has often kept the group busy for days.
How long would electricity, gas, tap water last. How long will petrol, diesel stay usable. How long could you keep generating electricity to keep deep freezers and refrigerators running? (This was originally way before solar was a viable option).

take care
Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: poor but proud

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
really it all comes back to water, if you cant access some other type of water supply you are done, all of us underestimate the amount of water used,cooking,washing up,personal hygiene ,etc. the survival manuals say up to 8 litres a day per person.now sitting around in the shade picking the fluff out of you navel you will use less, but the hunter gathers and camp fire cookers among us will need that amount in summer. Good discussion everyone, i will have to look at my booze supply and use your imput to convince < she who must be obeyed> to increase the variety and amount we carry

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thing is I always envisage camping near to water, deserts are not fun, I always like to be near water, even when I broke down in truck it always manged to be near a pub, proper planning is all important............................. Water needs is depending on environment so can run from 2 to 10lts per day per man...when it hits the fan water is for drinking and drinking Pee is just dumb, put it thru your solar still first, every van has a solar still....................besides your scenario had full water tanks so most could last out for 2 weeks at least so if burning a tyre every other day hasn't attracted attention by then you would be stuffed..... Not having a shovel, rope, axe and a bucket would cause immense hardship everything else is bling for survival, matches make it easier and if short you make a fire on day one and keep the embers going so you can make a fire when needed, no sense working to supply wood to a fire which isn't used for cooking/heat....... another major bit of kit is a sheet of plastic or glad wrap very handy....First lay out Emergency Beacon then look for water.........

Reactions: Boots in Action

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
underestimate the amount of water used,cooking,washing up,personal hygiene ,etc. the survival manuals say up to 8 litres a day per person
I have two sons who are living examples of the minimal use of water for personal hygiene.

And heres pic of use at the start of the Z Bend Gorge hike, at least it wasn't 34 deg (just) ;). In other news when we got to the bottom, we stumble upon a couple of old munchers frolicking about in a toxic still pool in their baggy old undies. Water couldn't wash that sight from my eyes

wpid-p1040014-resized-1280.jpg

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Never wear undies when swimming, yabbies could get caught and bite.......

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well thats it for the time being on this computata, I'm going out to Big Mal to make sure I have shovel, matches, dunny paper and also see how big an ethanol tank I'll need to make.............. oh and hang some curtains, need nice curtains for the appocalypse.