17' Series Jayco storm cover modifications

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
That looks like the original Jayco branded storm cover, which is what I have and Im very happy with mine. I think they look really good and its quite a light weight material. The hard lid gas struts are at there limit on my van, and a heavier storm cover would cause my lid to sag under the weight. (Ive since had the struts re-gassed) These storm covers were originally supplied for the old original hard lids, before any of the new variations can about. They issue with the original lid installation is they were slightly to short to reach the van body on each side, requiring 2 inch web straps with press studs on each end to bridge the gap; not a huge issue, more stupid lack of Jayco's attention to deal.

Like many people I thought the plastic sail track riveted to the outside edge of the hard lid looked cheap and horrible. Many people mounted the plastic sail track to the seal edge of the hard lid, under the rubber seal. (we're talking old original style lid here). I went one further and ditched the bottom entry plastic sail track which was supplied, and replaced it with a single sided, side entry alum sail track like annex track which I also fitted under the lid seal. That makes the sail track all but invisible and allows the storm cover to reach the van body and fit as it should without the webbing straps, and I dont have that horrible looking track riveted to the outside edge of the lid

If this gobbledygook is confusing, I can grab some pics so it makes more sense

Reactions: Dee351 and G Daddy

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
Thanks for that. Yeah some pics of your install would be awesome.

These are listed as being for 2016-18 lids and some adjustment needed for earlier ones, so wondering how they would fit on my 2011.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thanks for that. Yeah some pics of your install would be awesome.

These are listed as being for 2016-18 lids and some adjustment needed for earlier ones, so wondering how they would fit on my 2011.
Jayco were trying to fit the original storm covers to the newer lids with varying degrees of crappy results. Unless they have had the storm cover design modified which is not something Jayco usually do. Maybe worth hitting up a dealer and finding out

BTW is the Ebay price cheaper than the dealers

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I think I probably got the alum sail track from Tebbs which is a local annex/canvass manufacturer. The track needs to be gently curved a little to follow the lid profile. Push the rubber seal off the lid and pop rivet the track onto the lid, and slide the rubber seal back on. The outside edge of the hard lid is alum so works very well, just keep the rivets as close to the sail insert so the rubber seal will push all the way on

Kman

Dec 18, 2016
Perth
That looks like the original Jayco branded storm cover, which is what I have and Im very happy with mine. I think they look really good and its quite a light weight material. The hard lid gas struts are at there limit on my van, and a heavier storm cover would cause my lid to sag under the weight. (Ive since had the struts re-gassed) These storm covers were originally supplied for the old original hard lids, before any of the new variations can about. They issue with the original lid installation is they were slightly to short to reach the van body on each side, requiring 2 inch web straps with press studs on each end to bridge the gap; not a huge issue, more stupid lack of Jayco's attention to deal.

Like many people I thought the plastic sail track riveted to the outside edge of the hard lid looked cheap and horrible. Many people mounted the plastic sail track to the seal edge of the hard lid, under the rubber seal. (we're talking old original style lid here). I went one further and ditched the bottom entry plastic sail track which was supplied, and replaced it with a single sided, side entry alum sail track like annex track which I also fitted under the lid seal. That makes the sail track all but invisible and allows the storm cover to reach the van body and fit as it should without the webbing straps, and I dont have that horrible looking track riveted to the outside edge of the lid

If this gobbledygook is confusing, I can grab some pics so it makes more sense
I know this might be a long shot, but I am interested in looking at the photos of this installation as well please. If this is possible can you send them to me or post them up. My van is a 2015 model and I have been having no luck in getting any information out of dealers about the fitment of their storm covers.
Thanks heaps

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I know this might be a long shot, but I am interested in looking at the photos of this installation as well please. If this is possible can you send them to me or post them up. My van is a 2015 model and I have been having no luck in getting any information out of dealers about the fitment of their storm covers.
Thanks heaps
We're away so good timing, Ill try to remember to grab some pics when we pack up to move on in a week.

Kman

Dec 18, 2016
Perth
I just went in and brought a set from Jayco in SA and started fitting them in the caravan park. 4 hours later had them done. Took 3 hour for the first one to work out what works best and the front one was a breeze. I can’t understand why Jayco don’t give any fitting instruction for these. Thanks heaps for your offer.

Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Just bought some of these Storm Covers to fit to my 2011 Model. Would love to see your photos if possible Crusty? Thanks in advance. :)
I grab some tomorrow. If the post goes cold, just drop another prompt in .... i have a habit of failing to follow thru ;)

Coggers

Oct 31, 2020
Melbourne
I grab some tomorrow. If the post goes cold, just drop another prompt in .... i have a habit of failing to follow thru ;)
Thanks Crusty, that would be a great help. I have a 2011 Expanda OB so I know I'm going to have to be a little creative with installation. Looks like there are two approaches to installing the Storm Covers. Either fixing to the outside edge of the lid, which I'm not keen on due to appearances or fixing under the lid seal as you have done which I would prefer myself. I'm just a little unsure how to go about it so some photos of what you did would be great. We're heading away for Easter and the following week and the first 3 days are good weather so I'll probably take my tools with me and do at the park. Thanks again for responding!

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Alum single edged sail track with the 90deg chanel, much like flat annex wall track just single sided. The sail track side sections need to be pre-curved to follow the lid form, pretty easy but easier before its cut to size. Leave a decent gap in the corners, makes it easier to slide the storm cover on, and the cover will follow the rubber curve around the corner anyway. The inside edge of the lid has an alum substrate so just used blind rivets to attach the sail track, and aligned the sail track with inside edge of that alum substate. Spread the pinch weld a little and it neatly slides back over both to its original position. Before you start double check you have clearance around the closed lid to close with the sail track attached, i have enough but my lid and body are slightly out of square. I glued small spacers on the body section the align the lid when closing it. Those spacers also ensure the lid doesnt impact on my press studs. If the storm cover is a little short make up some small press stud straps to attach the free ends of the cover

Good luck

20210329_111247-resized-1400.jpg

20210329_111304-resized-1400.jpg

20210329_111331-resized-1400.jpg

20210329_111426-resized-1400.jpg

20210329_114119-resized-1400.jpg