Eagle Jayco Eagle Wiring

Mad camper

Sep 5, 2016
Mackay
Hi All,

I just order our first camper eagle touring with quite a few extras. The family are excited to hit the road and join the club. my biggest dilemma is the towbar and plug. Jayco will wire the camper with a 12 pin. The dealer suggested I use their auto lecky to have a 12 pin wired to my ford territory with Connection to charge the battery (pin 2) and to run the fridge (pin 9&10) plus also the electric brake controller. All up cost $900. Is this price reasonable. At this stage I have not fitted a tow bar and I'm not sure whether I should just fit the bar and have the auto lecky sort out the camper wiring. Any help is much appreciated. Cheers.

Reactions: Delano

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Depending on the controller $900 seems a bit expensive. I would be going to see a couple more auto elects to see if you can bring the price down, that I would say is at the top end of the price range for a job like you require. From memory my brake controller Tekonsha P2 was around $300-350 fitted I didn't require the 12 pin plug.

Reactions: Delano

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
As above, I agree that the quote seems very expensive. Would be well worth getting some other quotes from other auto elecs.

If you are prepared to do it yourself you would obviously save a heap more coin too?

Mad camper

Sep 5, 2016
Mackay
My main concern is powering the fridge and recharging the battery in the camper. Would it take much to wire up an Anderson plug to the camper? And vise versa on the car?

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
yeppers, as above - a bit on the steep side.....

do the "ring around" of a few Auto Electricians - also any big name mobs (not too sure in Mackay)

but
for $900 - I would think thats Tow Bar, brake controller, 12 pin & wiring & labour

try as well :

ARB - 9 Caterpillar Dr, Paget QLD 4740
TJM - 95 Gordon Street Mackay 4740
macs-off-road-equipment-accessories - 2D Victoria St Mackay, QLD 4740

Reactions: dagree and Delano

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
My main concern is powering the fridge and recharging the battery in the camper. Would it take much to wire up an Anderson plug to the camper? And vise versa on the car?

thats the easy bit
getting the 12 pin plug fitted - correctly is the hard part........... how handy are you???

Jayco 12Pin Wiring Diagram.JPG diagram from Jayco for 12 pin

jayco_Flat 12 Pin_4.jpg easier to read diagarm

7-pin- flat-connector.jpg just incase you already have the flat 7 pin - here is what it should be wired up like

Reactions: dagree and Delano

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
does your Ford have reversing sensors?

If so, you may want to check if you can disable them when you connect the camper.

I have a FG Falcon and in order to disconnect the reversing sensors, you may need to get a
Ford-supplied trailer loom. The good part is that it has a small magnet in the cover and a
reed switch in the housing that disconnects the reversing sensors when the plug is connected.

I think the Territory may be very similar.

The Ford supplied trailer loom cost about $104.

The bad part is that you will probably want to modify the loom.

I modified it since it had permanent 12 V and earth via very thin wires to the fridge pins. I moved the 12V wire
to pin 2 (removing the wire that goes to the reversing lights). That will charge the battery in the camper. Perhaps I should have
isolated this so it is only connected when the ignition is on. This wire went back to a 20A fuse marked 'trailer' in the
fuse box under the steering wheel.

Another option was to mimic what the reed switch does. There was a small three-pin plug behind the driver-side
rear light cluster. One is 12V, another is the blue wire for the electric brakes, the other, when earthed, turns off
the reversing sensors. So, if you wire in a switch somewhere in the boot, you can avoid having to buy
the Ford wiring loom.

kindest regards
Mike