Exterior Installing an antenna on the roof of a Pop Top.

2slow

Jul 20, 2018
Gawler SA
Have just purchased a Cel-Fi Go mobile phone booster (car & van pack) and I’m about to have a go at installation.
Anyone installed a Cel-Fi Go?

Car-a-van-Pack_540x_edited.jpg

My questions are about fixing the lay down antenna mount to the roof and running the cable through the roof. I’ve never been keen on drilling holes in the roof but in this instance, height is everything so on the roof it must go.
Caravan Antenna.jpg

My questions are:
Should I Sika-Flex the antenna base to the roof?
Also, I wonder should I attach a base plate to the bottom of the antenna base before sticking it to the roof in order to spread the load?
Any hints, tips or ideas on what to do or not to do (i.e. positioning, running the cable) before I start sticking and drilling?
TIA Greg.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If a pop top, fix to side and run cable thru top of vinyl...then no drama with leaks, that's how I fitted similar aerial once. Was easier to reach too.
Only fitted a Cel Fi in a shed for son, then showed him my mobile broadband Nighthawk with 4G aerial did same job for less cost, my phone will use the WiFi to make calls if poor phone sig which helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2slow

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Have just purchased a Cel-Fi Go mobile phone booster (car & van pack) and I’m about to have a go at installation.
Anyone installed a Cel-Fi Go?

View attachment 66918
My questions are about fixing the lay down antenna mount to the roof and running the cable through the roof. I’ve never been keen on drilling holes in the roof but in this instance, height is everything so on the roof it must go.
View attachment 66917
My questions are:
Should I Sika-Flex the antenna base to the roof?
Also, I wonder should I attach a base plate to the bottom of the antenna base before sticking it to the roof in order to spread the load?
Any hints, tips or ideas on what to do or not to do (i.e. positioning, running the cable) before I start sticking and drilling?
TIA Greg.
I have but in my ute. So can’t help

Reactions: 2slow

2slow

Jul 20, 2018
Gawler SA
If a pop top, fix to side and run cable thru top of vinyl...then no drama with leaks, that's how I fitted similar aerial once. Only fitted a Cel Fi in a shed for son, then showed him my mobile broadband Nighthawk with 4G aerial did same job for less cost, my phone will use the WiFi to make calls if poor phone sig which helps.
Thanks Drover that's not a bad idea. Fix it in the same manner as the awning except that I could fix across the rear of the roof so it folds down crossways and then there's no chance of it snagging on anything. Poking a hole in the canvas might cause minor palpitations but I suppose I could do it near where the current rooftop cables come into the van and it wouldn't be as noticeable.

Reactions: Drover

2slow

Jul 20, 2018
Gawler SA
I have but in my ute. So can’t help
Thanks. This kit for the car and the van and say we need it in the car then the repeater will be moved from one to the other.
Mounting it in the car should be easier as there is metal in between the 2 antennas but no doubt something will come up that I'm not sure about so I'll be asking then as well.

Reactions: mfexpanda

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If I recall I just loosened the vinyl at top and slid cable in then ran it down the sleeve with the others. Aerial was easier to get at to swing up being on side and when laid horizontal we fitted a nylon clip so it just locked in place...an alloy backing plate on base to make sure it held firm.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Your range should be good, one in shed can be picked up outside when doors closed.

2slow

Jul 20, 2018
Gawler SA
If I recall I just loosened the vinyl at top and slid cable in then ran it down the sleeve with the others. Aerial was easier to get at to swing up being on side and when laid horizontal we fitted a nylon clip so it just locked in place...an alloy backing plate on base to make sure it held firm.
Yep, when I had a look at it in between messages I could see where the vinyl is held on/up under a bit of channeling which is screwed on so just loosen the screws and find a way to feed it through at the corner. Agree with the support clip and the backing plate (maybe one either side) just to make it a bit more solid. That's the plan for now.
It'll be a week or two before we're in place where I can get a decent go at the job. We're going to caretake a cattle station homestead up near Richmond for a few weeks so that'll be my chance.
Thanks.
Greg.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Sounds like the go, If you fit an FME or SMA plug at the aerial base you can make up an extension lead and for those times when a bit extra height is required use a bit of PVC pipe as an extension for the antennae pole ............... I have a similar set up for my phone/WiFi set up in van.

At Lara Wetlands recently I got a signal with my extension to my aerial where others couldn't, even managed a reasonable data flow. Just a normal bit of 25mm PVC with a flared end.

2slow

Jul 20, 2018
Gawler SA
The bloke I spoke to when purchasing the unit made it quite clear on 2-3 occasions that antenna height is everything and the extension is an idea I had wondered about but wasn't sure the best way to go about it. I'll wait until after everything else is installed and working first.
I can imagine there would be plenty of times when everyone assumes that there's no signal but the reality is that the signal is just too weak to register unless there's a decent antenna (extra high) with a booster connected.

Can't wait to have a crack at it now that there's a plan but that's a few days and a 1000kms away, unfortunately.