Independent suspension

Digger12

Jan 22, 2013
Western suburbs melbourne
Hi all ,

My wife and I have just ordered a expanda outback with normal suspension. We are considering paying an extra $2100 for an upgrade to independent suspension but wanted some feed back from those who have this already. Just wanted to know if anyone recommends the upgrade and was it worth the money. Just considering this now as it realistically wouldn't be something that could be done done the track.

Any feedback from members would be appreciated.
Ps : is it also better on the bitumen while towing???

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Sale, Victoria, Australia
G'day Digger, welcome to the forum!

I've got the independent suspension, and has travelled well so far – albeit only done a few thousand km off the bitumen. The simplicity suspension raises the height by an Extra inch or two, and gains you significantly more clearance underneath. Seems to travel well on uneven ground, although cant compare to the standard.

Happy to take some pics if you haven't seen it.
Good luck in your decisions..

Cheers, Glenn

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Gday Digger ive taken our van to some pretty hospitable places and we have a under slung solid axle and dont have any problems now ive changed springs $2100 is a lot of mods you can pay for also on my travels the vans / trailers with independent susp were the ones with the most problems / breakages. Personally i think its a waste of money but thats just me ...

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I've had both, had Simplicity on our Swan Camper, only because it was part of the package the dealer had going at the time, Our Eagle Camper prior to that was standard and underslung, our current Panda is standard Outback arrangement., The only real bonus of the Simplicity is the "tunnel" clearance underneath and you may gain some height.
I dont think it towed any better over standard, I'd say don't waste your $$$. As BP has said there's a lot of other thing/mods you can do for the $$$.

If it as a true independant arrangement with trailing arm and coil sprung with shocks it maybe a different story

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Agree with Bushman (again). OB's are rough-roaders not off-roaders that's why genuine off-road vans are out of the price range for most of us. Prop the van somewhere safe and do the off-road stuff to your 4x4. Spend some of your saved $'s on extra DIY underbody protection for your van and some mods that will benefit you everyday. Plenty of great suggestions on this forum.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I concur with above, the simplicity suspension is a very rudimentary independent system anyhow. Have had two expandas and have had no reason to don't the factory standard suspension. The first van felt better and I put that down to the 31x10.5 Goodyear MTRs

Digger12

Jan 22, 2013
Thanks guys. Seems like it may not be worth it by what you all have said. I realise the expanda is not a full off road van but I'm into fairly hardcore 4x4ing but wouldn't take the van with me anyways. Mainly concerned with how the van will go if I'm traveling on a lot of dirt roads etc? Also i have a 5 inch suspension lift in my patrol and wondering how that will effect towing etc...

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Thanks guys. Seems like it may not be worth it by what you all have said. I realise the expanda is not a full off road van but I'm into fairly hardcore 4x4ing but wouldn't take the van with me anyways. Mainly concerned with how the van will go if I'm traveling on a lot of dirt roads etc? Also i have a 5 inch suspension lift in my patrol and wondering how that will effect towing etc...

Thats no problem there Digger my cruisers got a 6 inch efs extreme lift / 315/75/16 muddies and all the bells and whistles and it tows great dirt or black top ..

Digger12

Jan 22, 2013
Thanks bp. Was really hoping to come across someone with a similar 4x4 set up. I've been a little worried with how the van will sit with my 5 inch lift and 35" muddies. Does your van sit fairly level when travelling. We also got the upgrade to 16 inch wheels for slightly more height. Some people have also told me I'll need some sort of weight distribution with my trigg hitch to avoid the arse end of the 4x4 sagging. What else have you/do you use recommend. What tyre size is on ya van?
Hope ya don't mind me picking ya brain, just good to hear from someone with a similar lift set up

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
I have had vans with out independent suspension previously. I have just picked up our expanda with Simplicity suspension. on the 2000k trip home I found the van handled much better, it did not bounce excessively when rough on one side of the road. I also found that the van did not respond unfavouribly when one wheel was dropped off the bitumen.

Just my 2c worth

Cracka

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
This website might make some interesting reading for you in your decision to go with the standard suspension or independent
http://www.vehiclecomponents.com.au/information/suspensions/why-choose-independent

[video=youtube_share;ADoLPq2L0qE]http://youtu.be/ADoLPq2L0qE[/video]

When we place our order :fencing:I'll be ticking the box for the independent suspension :juggle:
Personally I don't think you need to take the van hardcore 4WDing to get the benefits of independent suspension, then there is always that new location out in the bush you haven't been to before & on the way in the road is a bit more rutted than you thought it would be, it's those times you'll be glad you have it.:hug:

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Maybe so, however the beam axle in that demo doesn't have shocks on it, where as a the Outback model Panda's and campers do, also hard to compare a 500/1000kg trailer to A 2OOO+ van

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Here is the single axle arrangment, I stress this was on my camper but the same for the single axle Pandas

100_1943.JPG

100_1942.JPG

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Thanks bp. Was really hoping to come across someone with a similar 4x4 set up. I've been a little worried with how the van will sit with my 5 inch lift and 35" muddies. Does your van sit fairly level when travelling. We also got the upgrade to 16 inch wheels for slightly more height. Some people have also told me I'll need some sort of weight distribution with my trigg hitch to avoid the arse end of the 4x4 sagging. What else have you/do you use recommend. What tyre size is on ya van?
Hope ya don't mind me picking ya brain, just good to hear from someone with a similar lift set up

Digger i also run a trigg hitch with a Hayman Reece wdh which i disconnect when the tracks get a bit rough , also air bags in the rear which help . I have kept with the 15s on the van running 245 b/stone 697 muddies which do the job also i have replaced the origional spring packs with 10 leaf packs which has raised both in height and weight carrying all works well . This set up has done the Tanami , Gibb rr, oody strez and lots of off shoot tracks with only ripping one shocker mount off , not bad going

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Like the old saying, Horses for courses.... bear in mind if your destinations warrant independent suspension doesn't mean the rest of the Jayco will cope, the internals are mostly held together with plastic angle brackets as most owners would know. Even Jayco don't recommend doing much more than fire trails with the OB, just depends on what sort of driving you intend to do. By the way there are no shockies on the OB dual axle but as Bushman said 2T+ handles different.

Cheers.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW