Hot Water System- Suburban (17 56 2)

Anthony Gentle

Jul 31, 2013
Cronulla
Hi all,
I was wondering how many minutes of hot water should I get when showering?
My van is a 2011- 17 56 2 outback and I have run it on 240 and also gas and waited until the thermostat has switched it off when the water has reached the right temp but we are only getting 5 mins of showering before the water goes warm.
Hope you can help..!!

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
20 litre tank approx, divided by shower head that uses approx 4 litres a minute equals 5 minutes give or take. Sounds about right to me.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Yeah the Pumps are very hungry and I may be wrong but I think the HWS is only 20l we tend to just wet down then turn the tap off then soap up then turn the tap back on to rinse off then stagger showers a bit so the HWS gets a chance to recover

Reactions: Anthony Gentle

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
You've got about 20 litres of hot water plus the cold you mix with it. We hold off long luxurious showers until CP's. For free camping its wet down, water off, soap up with a liquid body soap (including hair), water on to rinse off. I always run the HWS on gas. No issue with just two of us.
BTW we use microfibre towels now. Very effective, less bulk, quick to dry, etc.

Reactions: Anthony Gentle

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
On 240V we have never run out of hot water, saying that I am not one to have a steaming hot shower like the wife does. At van parks We have never had an issue. On gas we only wet, soap and rinse off. Always enough water for the 5 of us (at the time, now there is 6 of us!!). Whenever I put mains water onto the van, or fill the water tanks I always ensure I "bleed" the HWS with the relief valve and a hot tap inside so that the system is full when I want to start heating water.

Reactions: norm walker