Heron 2.2 replacement

3jcorolla

Jan 1, 2014
Hi,

It looks like my heron 2.2 has packed it in, it shorts when switched to cooling, the heating element still works.

The unit is now discontinued. The units when working are not the greatest, and so it leaves me wondering if there are better options.

I assume roof options are out as i dont have the structure in my 16.49 poptop. Under bunk options might be available but i cant see how the ducts would work in a pop top.

Roger

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Hi,

It looks like my heron 2.2 has packed it in, it shorts when switched to cooling, the heating element still works.

The unit is now discontinued. The units when working are not the greatest, and so it leaves me wondering if there are better options.

I assume roof options are out as i dont have the structure in my 16.49 poptop. Under bunk options might be available but i cant see how the ducts would work in a pop top.

Roger
Hi my 2.2 stopped cooling last summer and started tripping the power switch , in my case it was the starting capacitor a pretty simple fix if you are savvy with that sort of stuff , saw how to replace it on u tube, if it is that you will see the canister has been leaking oil and probably distorted , prices for the canister vary greatly , I got a new one from Jacar for around$ 30, caravan repairer wanted $100 for the exact branded unit, if you are going to look your self please remember to turn the power off and remove the extension lead, before you start spending and hacking maybe get it checked

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Hi my 2.2 stopped cooling last summer and started tripping the power switch , in my case it was the starting capacitor a pretty simple fix if you are savvy with that sort of stuff , saw how to replace it on u tube, if it is that you will see the canister has been leaking oil and probably distorted , prices for the canister vary greatly , I got a new one from Jacar for around$ 30, caravan repairer wanted $100 for the exact branded unit, if you are going to look your self please remember to turn the power off and remove the extension lead, before you start spending and hacking maybe get it checked
Just a reminder capicators can store a kick don’t get bitten

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Not many options for replacement of the unit, I owuldn't waste money on trying to get someone to repair it as they are bluddy useless things I thought, have seen an under bed job squeezed into the bottom of a cupboard and part of under the seat, think it was a Finch vented from top of cupboard and a small 2kw split system for a house fitted just not sure how long one of them would last though..................... much prefer a small ceramic heater when in van parks than the AC.

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Not many options for replacement of the unit, I owuldn't waste money on trying to get someone to repair it as they are bluddy useless things I thought, have seen an under bed job squeezed into the bottom of a cupboard and part of under the seat, think it was a Finch vented from top of cupboard and a small 2kw split system for a house fitted just not sure how long one of them would last though..................... much prefer a small ceramic heater when in van parks than the AC.
There is never going to be a perfect unit when you travel around in something that is half a tent, any smaller aircon unit will be better in a small , full van but having that vinyl skin getting the sun on it is always going to be a struggle to keep cool in summer , also keep warm in winter ps the missus does love our diesel heater just press the remote button and 15min later warm as toast

Reactions: Drover

3jcorolla

Jan 1, 2014
Just a reminder capicators can store a kick don’t get bitten
Thanks, i have replaced many capacitors in the past, and was thinking this could be the problem as it hasnt been used in a long time which can degrade them i will give it a shot.

3jcorolla

Jan 1, 2014
Drover, i agree they are pretty useless. I generally use a floor heater which works better and cooling is marginally. I think i would prefer to put in a 2.4 to 3kw roof mounted dometic than try the vent approach as getting the ducting up high neatly would be a pain.

3jcorolla

Jan 1, 2014
There is never going to be a perfect unit when you travel around in something that is half a tent, any smaller aircon unit will be better in a small , full van but having that vinyl skin getting the sun on it is always going to be a struggle to keep cool in summer , also keep warm in winter ps the missus does love our diesel heater just press the remote button and 15min later warm as toast
Yeah that why i am think a dometic harrier plus 3kw unit on a roof frame. But will be installing a diesel heater for off grid stuff also.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Roof top no matter what the brand I would first be trying to ascertain where the frame is in the roof, AC's need a certain sized opening, get the wrong one and you could be cutting the roof truss so may end up with a roof build, alloy frames are available as well, before I throw my readies down I would be finding some nice folk who would run their AC for you so you can see how noisy they are, some are really bad.....
Your choice is up there on the scales at 44kg, thats some weight to be on a pop top roof, I would be looking at one around the 30kg mark and not being originally fitted with an AC the support most likely isn't there, like when you order bike racks they add the wall support don't order its not there, so to with roof support......... To test I would throw a couple of jerry cans of water on the roof and see what weight is actually manageable to lift, an upgrade to struts would certainly be in order.

Do lots of homework first as you could end up doing an upgrade on the whole roof, certainly doable............ We off grid all the time, 95% so our AC doesn't get used, diesel heater gets more use, in fact removing the AC would save me 45kg, this new one, replaced after a hail storm is a Ibis MkIII, nice and quiet, doesn't shake the walls like the old rig just 10 kgs heavier than the old one......

Reactions: 1DayIll

3jcorolla

Jan 1, 2014
Roof top no matter what the brand I would first be trying to ascertain where the frame is in the roof, AC's need a certain sized opening, get the wrong one and you could be cutting the roof truss so may end up with a roof build, alloy frames are available as well, before I throw my readies down I would be finding some nice folk who would run their AC for you so you can see how noisy they are, some are really bad.....
Your choice is up there on the scales at 44kg, thats some weight to be on a pop top roof, I would be looking at one around the 30kg mark and not being originally fitted with an AC the support most likely isn't there, like when you order bike racks they add the wall support don't order its not there, so to with roof support......... To test I would throw a couple of jerry cans of water on the roof and see what weight is actually manageable to lift, an upgrade to struts would certainly be in order.

Do lots of homework first as you could end up doing an upgrade on the whole roof, certainly doable............ We off grid all the time, 95% so our AC doesn't get used, diesel heater gets more use, in fact removing the AC would save me 45kg, this new one, replaced after a hail storm is a Ibis MkIII, nice and quiet, doesn't shake the walls like the old rig just 10 kgs heavier than the old one......
Yeah the roof weight is up there, i have had a look at the external aluminum h frames available but think i will build my own as they look a little light and you cant tell the material wall thickness. The frame will be supported off the poptop extrusion slightly above the roof ~5-7mm to pull the roof up to allow water to drain away from the roof cutout. I will also remove a little foam in the roof and put a frame inside.

I checked the capacitors and replaced anyway. But it looks like a short on the compressor which is now obsolete. My insurance covers motor damage for 15years so hopefully will be getting some cash towards the install.