Interior Fixing water damaged wall (updated)

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
I have a similiar a water damage problem @GJMitchell posted about (under the water fill point) but also in a much more obvious location. The local caravan repair guy has had a look but there is nothing obviously leaking and the main suspect is the joint between the chequer plate and first wall sheet which has some movement in it. And we did have a few weeks of driving rain and wind on that side.
He seems to think jayco might agree to a repair even though it's 2 1/2 years old so I'm waiting for them to reply.
I guess my options are to completely replace 2 sheets or maybe (and this is a question) cover it with a decorative panel of some sort.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20181024_122449.jpg
    IMG_20181024_122449.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 610
Last edited:

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
Update: I think I have found the leak. The top awning bracket is held by 4 coach bolts through a u bracket under the hinge cover. I took this apart to discover 1 bolt had no silicon at all and the others had a nominal amount around but not in the hole - which is directly above my damaged wall

2slow

Jul 20, 2018
Gawler SA
Sounds like you may have found the culprit. I used Sika roof and gutter to seal my van. It was recommended on this forum as being compatible with whatever it is that Jayco uses in the factory and I have found it more than adequate.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I missed your original post, I would have asked if you have checked any fitting above the area as like you I found the same lack of sealant on my 14.44 but luckily discovered it before any water damage, I was doing something else and when I pulled that fitting off saw that the apprentice was in a hurry......I then went around and checked every damn thing hanging of the outside of the van..................................With great precision it is easy to get a nice clean cut out in the panel using a template, glue and clamp some off cuts around the inside edge to support the patch, when dry glue in the new bit of panel you could spray it then I would look for a novel way to hide it all something like a long narrow pocket which would be a magazine rack, that sort of thing, nobody would know the difference......

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
Thanks Drover, I did eventually find a youtube video of someone doing what you describe. I am pleased to say that jayco has approved the repair so now the problem is over to the local caravan guy to figure out

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Now that is a great result........and thanks for letting us know, hope it all goes smoothly.

Reactions: chartrock

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
So the van is back with a new interior wall which looks perfect. The repairer said the leak was between the black chequer plate and first row of white external panel so they siliconed along the join. Jayco also agreed to fix the bubbling under the water /tank inlet box.

Deesalltaway

Mar 16, 2021
Warragul
We have come across the same problem with our 2016 jayco expanda pop top. Have had a chance to look yet but only place I can think of is the awning bracket as you have said. I got no idea we’re to start with this

Attachments

• 99DA2581-AC7D-45A9-BFCB-3956B0F3974D.jpeg
    99DA2581-AC7D-45A9-BFCB-3956B0F3974D.jpeg
    273.5 KB · Views: 309
  • A4156043-06B8-499A-A854-DF973C70544E.jpeg
    A4156043-06B8-499A-A854-DF973C70544E.jpeg
    269.4 KB · Views: 297
  • C4B551EA-65D3-45BE-A9F1-B95AF313B9B9.jpeg
    C4B551EA-65D3-45BE-A9F1-B95AF313B9B9.jpeg
    296.3 KB · Views: 301

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
Finding the leak can be really frustrating - I have another post about finding the cause of a window trim leak which was not easy. Maybe start by phoning every independant caravan repair near you to see if one is prepared to do an assessment and send it to jayco. This worked for me but it took a few calls and plenty of waiting.

The good news is the repairer said the panels are not overly difficult to replace - which I preferred over painting because I wanted to be sure the leak was fixed.

Deesalltaway

Mar 16, 2021
Warragul
Finding the leak can be really frustrating - I have another post about finding the cause of a window trim leak which was not easy. Maybe start by phoning every independant caravan repair near you to see if one is prepared to do an assessment and send it to jayco. This worked for me but it took a few calls and plenty of waiting.

The good news is the repairer said the panels are not overly difficult to replace - which I preferred over painting because I wanted to be sure the leak was fixed.
Thank you so much for replying. We have tried a repairer in Warragul and he said it should be a easy fix. So next thing is to find the leak because it is it a really werid spot

Reactions: jazzeddie1234

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Are you sure its a leak as the timber doesn't look water stained ????
Steam from stove or kettle will do similar to wall covering......

Reactions: Boots in Action

Deesalltaway

Mar 16, 2021
Warragul
Are you sure its a leak as the timber doesn't look water stained ????
Steam from stove or kettle will do similar to wall covering......
We haven’t got a clue as yet I thought the same it didn’t look like water but my misses thinks it is. So guess we will find out this weekend and hop for the best

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If its water it will have grey/black marks in the timber and the wall will discolour as it runs down the wall or soaks in from the other side.........
I put your pics on the big screen and it actually looks to me like where sap has leached out of timber, something I didn't think happened in laminated stuff but it certainly looks that way or the adhesive has reacted but it doesn't look like water at all...the coating still has the pattern and is holding its colour....certainly worth getting it checked by someone approved by Jayco as it does look like a wall failure not a leak..
Either that or a good camo job with a keyboard, DVD rack or something to save ginning around for months.

Deesalltaway

Mar 16, 2021
Warragul
If its water it will have grey/black marks in the timber and the wall will discolour as it runs down the wall or soaks in from the other side.........
I put your pics on the big screen and it actually looks to me like where sap has leached out of timber, something I didn't think happened in laminated stuff but it certainly looks that way or the adhesive has reacted but it doesn't look like water at all...the coating still has the pattern and is holding its colour....certainly worth getting it checked by someone approved by Jayco as it does look like a wall failure not a leak..
Either that or a good camo job with a keyboard, DVD rack or something to save ginning around for months.
Fingers crossed it’s not water Thanks heaps guys