FIX: Herron 2.2 Airconditioner outside fan not working

fraserL322

Mar 4, 2012
Just a little note first, below I was working with a mains-powered device, with potential(sic) dangerous results - if you don't understand EXACTLY what you are doing, please, please don't try anything below, if you do know what you are doing, it's easy!

So...our aircon would work well for about 7 mins, then the cool air would slowly become less cold, then it would blow warm air!
After a little investigation, it turned out that the fan for the under-seat unit was not working so it couldn't get rid of it's heat, then the compressor overheat/overload would trip.

This is what I found out:
The fan has 2 speeds, and is automatic, low speed runs at startup (with the power for the fan running through a 220 Ohm, 20 watt resistor) and when the temperature in the fan output area gets too warm, a thermostat bypasses the resistor, and the fan runs faster to be able to remove more heat.

What had happened:
The weight of the resistor (which was supported only by it's wire "tails") combined with driving vibration had caused one of the stiff wires to snap off, right at it's base, thus no power to the fan!

What it should look like:
W9W.jpg

What mine looked like:
Pic_0412_006.jpg

So I went down to jaycar electronics, but the highest rating resistors they had were 10 watt, so I needed to wire 2 x 470 Ohm, 10 Watt ones in parallel, to give me the equivelant (ish - 235 Ohm) at 20 watts.
Once I'd wired them together, i put them back where the original one was, but this time I mounted it with a small amount of silicone (Don't use anything else as it probably won't handle the heat they produce

so now no vibrating resistor and a working aircon!!!

:)

Now:
Pic_0412_002.jpg
Pic_0412_005.jpg

Cover back on and all is as good as new!

JoanneM

Jan 6, 2014
Thank you for posting the fix to the Heron A/C blowing hot air, followed your instructions and go us out of very hot few nights!
Cheers !

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Mines going back to Jayco later this week for something similar will mention it to them.

The RV Man

Mar 7, 2016
Redcliffe 4020
Hey,

After some investigation my Heron 2.2 doesn't have a resistor in place and it appears that the thermostat has been bypassed. You wouldn't happen to have a clearer photo of your installation would you?? At present with the thermostat bypassed the fan runs flat out but then stops and moments later the compressor trips the over load and no more cold air :(

I am open to any suggestions if you have any :)

fraserL322

Mar 4, 2012
Hey,

After some investigation my Heron 2.2 doesn't have a resistor in place and it appears that the thermostat has been bypassed. You wouldn't happen to have a clearer photo of your installation would you?? At present with the thermostat bypassed the fan runs flat out but then stops and moments later the compressor trips the over load and no more cold air :(

I am open to any suggestions if you have any :)

When you say "Moments later" how long are you talking?

JakeH24

Aug 26, 2019
Brisbane
Hey guys, this might be a long shot but I have just bought a new resistor and fan motor for mine but i am not sure which terminals/cables the resistor connects to. Could anyone run me through where i need to connect it? which colour cable on the fan motor does it go across? I have attached photos of the wiring diagram of the motor, and another wiring diagram from the manual. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 11.32.03 am.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 11.32.03 am.png
    2 MB · Views: 437
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 11.32.28 am.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 11.32.28 am.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 429

Yetty

Dec 26, 2020
Perth
Hey guys, this might be a long shot but I have just bought a new resistor and fan motor for mine but i am not sure which terminals/cables the resistor connects to. Could anyone run me through where i need to connect it? which colour cable on the fan motor does it go across? I have attached photos of the wiring diagram of the motor, and another wiring diagram from the manual. Thanks in advance.
Hey mate did you end up finding out the correct wires? I'm in the same position now, replacing the condenser fan motor with a 5 wire motor when the old one was a 4 wire. Did you end up connecting the resistor back in?
Thanks andrew