Hawk First Time Owner

MrMiller

Dec 26, 2021
Perth Wa
Greetings all!
My partner and I have decided that sleeping on the ground is beneath us(dad joke/pun intended!)
We’ve welcomed a beautiful daughter 6 months ago and after a few camps in our beloved Oztent, we’ve decided a camper trailer is the next logical solution to our camping set up. We’re picking up a 2009 hawk outback this weekend and I’m wondering what I should look out for aside from the general “wear and tear” thanks to its age. I’m pretty handy with the tools so any modifications or repairs are well within reach on my own.
Any info is greatly appreciated! I look forward to being a member of the forum!
Cheers everyone!

Reactions: Drover and Bluey

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Most important with these things is it must wind up effortlessly, if its hard to crank then the wind up system will need some TLC, parts are easy enough to get but its a bluddy pain of a job to do ............... I was volunteered to help (read do most of it) on one of my kids Eagle.

Other than that the usual van checks of water marks, mouldy canvas and checking everything that opens and shuts, that should about cover it.... Check the wheel nuts first thing before towing.

When you get it home flush the tank, give the bearings are good shake, check U bolts are tight, if you can I would pull off the hubs to clean and check brakes and give the bearings a bit of grease then you know they are all good to go and while your have them in hand record the number on the bearing so you know for sure what they are........... plug it in to power so the battery stays charged up, when parked up they really don't need to be plugged into a 15amp socket.....

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Have a look at the ALKO site it has some good How To's on it for you....would add a link but on phone.... Follow up tomorrow if needed when I set up camp by the Gwydir for awhile..

Just remembered when you fold it up, try to gently lay the canvas sides in place, dont push against the flyscreens with your fingers or you will use words you didnt think you knew ( well unless your a sailor)

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Have a look at the ALKO site it has some good How To's on it for you....would add a link but on phone.... Follow up tomorrow if needed when I set up camp by the Gwydir for awhile..

Just remembered when you fold it up, try to gently lay the canvas sides in place, dont push against the flyscreens with your fingers or you will use words you didnt think you knew ( well unless your a sailor)
Yes, as @Drover said "don't push against the flyscreens" just against the canvas evenly. The mesh in the flyscreens is the weakest part and as they get older, they get more brittle, are easily cut and tear easily. Even rings on some of the females and men can catch and start a long break in the screen material. A very expensive repair/replacement item.

Reactions: MrMiller and Drover