Just Browsing Expanda conversion

Shadow

Nov 12, 2015
Harrington park nsw
Hi all
I was just wondering if anyone has successfully converted an older style expanda (2007ish) to a hard lid,if so how did you go about it. If there isn't a conversion kit out there would it be a big seller for the right price.
Thanks shane

Shadow

Nov 12, 2015
Harrington park nsw
A few have asked the question before but to my knowledge no one has done it. Cheaper to upgarde.
Hey tricky
You say it would be cheaper to upgrade,out of curiosity what would it cost to upgrade I know it all depends on what you upgrade to,my brother in law and sister have purchased a 2007 w/shower and toilet the only thing they hate is the soft bed flies the detiriating gelcoat and stress cracks I've been in the fibreglass game for 25 years and in the process of building moulds to convert there's I will post pics once it's done but wouldn't mind knowing what someone would consider a fair price to convert.
Cheers Shane.

Reactions: Drover

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
The 2014 and older vans have the bed end lid recess into the van body when closed. The 2015 vans have the bed end lid close against and proud of the body. I reckon you could retro fit a later model lid and successfully weather seal it but I would have to look at the 2 vans side by side for structural mounting points of gas struts and hinges. Also you would have to check the profile of both vans are the same if you use a later model lid but if you are going to make a mould from scratch it doesn't matter.

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
I would think you could upgrade from a non hard lid to a hard lid model (from late 2008 on) for a few thousand dollars. What ever you spend on an earlier model modifying it won't necessarily be made up when you went to sell it.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Have seen an Expanda and a Swan with Carefree awnings over the bunks, very cool set up and curtains just clipped around them. Held up in a storm very well.

rodney

Apr 23, 2014
I looked at this when I found a basestation that was setup just right but wasn't a hard lid spoke to one repairer and can be done but to be cost effective need to know the right people and get the parts at the right price to attempt it to start with

rods gq

Aug 20, 2013
I have seen one converted. Would have been about a 2006 expanda and had similar doors(lid) on the ends to what you would find on a steel canopy for a ute. Talking to the owner the cost was about $1500 per end. Was a neat set up, the doors were on gas struts and the original bed had not been altered which is something to think about as the soft lids on the 16s seemed to have a larger front bed.