Expanda 14.4.4

Luke14

May 4, 2014
Ballarat Victoria.
Hi Everyone,
I am after opinions on what bed end (we only need the one) to go for on our van we have just ordered. We ordered the van with the Jayco mesh screen but I am now wondering whether we should take it off and get something like the canvas screens from Holiday annexes. They seem to be more durable then the mesh ones?
Also we are tossing up whether to get hot water and/or outdoor shower. At first we didnt think it was a necessity but are now debating whether we should as we might regret it later?
Thanks
Luke

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Hi @Luke
Do a search as there is plenty of info already on the forum for these.
We have the Holiday Annexe one on ours (we have the same van as you) and love it. The jayco privacy screens are just to help to obscure people looking in, not for protection from the weather.

The only thing I will be doing to ours is putting a couple of eyelet holes in the bottom so I can peg it down with some guy ropes when it gets really windy... General breeze and wind is ok, but have had some really bad weather (shake the van weather) and found that this may just stop some of the flapping.

BJ

Luke14

May 4, 2014
Ballarat Victoria.
Thanks BJ. I think I might have to get the canvas one, it seems like its the way to go especially in wet weather. Does anyone have any opinions on the hot water option and whether it is worth it?
Thanks
Luke.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
It depends on the type of camping you are doing, if free camping it would be handy. I don't have hot water in my van but mainly stay in parks. Another thing to consider is the space it takes up eating into your storage.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
We wouldn't be without hot water and we loved our outdoor shower. It seems a shame to me to spend so much $$$ on a van and not get hot water.

Reactions: mfexpanda

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
We didn't get the HWS as we already have a Coleman HWOD unit. When it dies I will look at getting one installed but would get the Truma gas unit. Is more efficient and better built than the suburbans (in my opinion). We free camp all the time and find the Coleman is probably better in that we can simply get a bucket of creek water, chuck a stocking on the end of the hose and have unlimited water (well as much as we want to carry). I would be concerned about using too much of the tank water if we had the built in. Mind you the next van we get will have shower and toilet. But that won't be for some time now.

BJ.

Aug 29, 2013
Warradale SA
Thanks BJ. I think I might have to get the canvas one, it seems like its the way to go especially in wet weather. Does anyone have any opinions on the hot water option and whether it is worth it?
Thanks
Luke.
Luke, definetley get the HWS and shower, it will be worth it in the end, we've got the shower on the end of the van.

Gavin

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Yep another vote for the HWS and external shower. And if the funds stretch that far the canvas cover is a god send in bad weather. I have a custom job but only because the holiday version was not on the market at the time. Their one seems like a great solution to a common expanda problem (wet bed ends).

Griffo

Apr 15, 2014
Royalla, NSW
Luke

have both HWS and bed end in Vinal from Kakadu Annexes. HWS works a treat and we turn it on when starting to prepare a meal and then turn it off again as this saves on gas its also a bit noisy if it turns on in the middle of the night.

Kakadus bed end fixes to the van on sail track around the lid and press studs for the sides. It also has two elastic guy ropes to nail it to the ground as well as a support pole for the lid. They have found that the lid tends to droop after repeated use due to the extra weigh. I like the vinal as it doesn't really matter if you put it away wet for a couple of days.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Luke we have a 14 and no hot water. we camp off grid 90% of the time and just grab a bucket of water from the river etc and use that. It really is a personal choice as others have said. I would get it fitted during the build if you want one though as I think they will give you a second tank and give you an increase in your carrying capacity too.

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
We have the kakadu bed ends, we like the vynal as you can put it away wet, but the canvas of the holiday annex sits better.
We also use it in good weather just to make the bed darker in the morning.
We also have the built in HWS, I wouldnt be concerned about the space taken up as it's under the seat & is a pain to use as a regular storage location anyway.
If your worried about storage space get the AC on the roof as the internal units take up the space of two cupboards.

Reactions: Griffo

Luke14

May 4, 2014
Ballarat Victoria.
Thanks everybody, I have a lot to weigh up. I think the bed end is the way to go. Have to decide now whether the budget will stretch enough for the hot water.