17' Series Double to triple bunk conversion in 17.56.2 pop top

SpizzandQ

Jun 18, 2018
NSW
Just wondering if anyone has either completed themselves or knows of anyone who has converted their double bunks into triple? Life has thrown a curve ball our way and rather than our second child being singular, it is now going to be plural. So, rather than double bunks which we thought were going be sufficient, I am hoping to build a rig to create a triple.

This is my plan so far:
Remove all parts of the current top bunk and put in to storage. Four pieces of timber running vertical in each of the corners of the rear dining/bottom bunk area, running to pretty much the height of the metal bulkhead. Run timber horizontally at about 600mm and 1200mm and create bed bases. The top bunk will be close to where the ceiling comes down to in travel position. I will jimmy a removable safety barrier for the top bunk as there will be no room for a permanent fixture here.

Each bunk will have about 600mm clearance before mattress which I believe is pretty much standard in triple bunk vans. It could even be a bit more.

Anyway, if anyone has heard of this being done, I'd love to hear about it.

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
So will you have 3 kids in total? Just curious as to why needing triple bunks in a 17-56. We’ve got the same and have 3 kids.

The youngest 2 have the bunks, our 11 yr old daughter has the end (smaller bed) and we sleep up the front in the larger bed.

Works really well.

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
Same. We have 3 aged 3.6.9 (GBB). The Boys are in the bunks and my 3 yo is up the end in one of the bed ends with Mum and I have one all to my self :)
It works well.

JohnRosso

May 6, 2022
Port Macquarie
Just wondering if anyone has either completed themselves or knows of anyone who has converted their double bunks into triple? Life has thrown a curve ball our way and rather than our second child being singular, it is now going to be plural. So, rather than double bunks which we thought were going be sufficient, I am hoping to build a rig to create a triple.

This is my plan so far:
Remove all parts of the current top bunk and put in to storage. Four pieces of timber running vertical in each of the corners of the rear dining/bottom bunk area, running to pretty much the height of the metal bulkhead. Run timber horizontally at about 600mm and 1200mm and create bed bases. The top bunk will be close to where the ceiling comes down to in travel position. I will jimmy a removable safety barrier for the top bunk as there will be no room for a permanent fixture here.

Each bunk will have about 600mm clearance before mattress which I believe is pretty much standard in triple bunk vans. It could even be a bit more.

Anyway, if anyone has heard of this being done, I'd love to hear about it.
How’d you go with the conversion? I would love some ideas and photos as I want to do a similar conversion. Cheers.