17' Series Do we walk away?

danniwatt

Aug 17, 2021
Queensland
We have found a Jayco Expanda Outback 2013 to purchase for our first van. Please see attached picture. This concerns me. I am thinking it says water damage? Would I also be correct in saying that is not a genuine Jayco light? The seller said that is how it was when they purchased and it has never leaked…
Would you still purchase?
How much is a roof repair?
Do we just walk away?
Would really appreciate any advice?
Thanks in advance.
Danni

Attachments

• 0491340D-3663-40A7-8237-5116196CA9E9.jpeg
    0491340D-3663-40A7-8237-5116196CA9E9.jpeg
    33.4 KB · Views: 287

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
We have found a Jayco Expanda Outback 2013 to purchase for our first van. Please see attached picture. This concerns me. I am thinking it says water damage? Would I also be correct in saying that is not a genuine Jayco light? The seller said that is how it was when they purchased and it has never leaked…
Would you still purchase?
How much is a roof repair?
Do we just walk away?
Would really appreciate any advice?
Thanks in advance.
Danni
No dought looks like water damage.Appears somebody has tried to cover it up with a non std fitting and light.Cracks in the interior roof coating and ply exposed are a give away.Honestly I would steer clear unless a bargain or you are capable of repairing .Pop tops roofs can leak from in a number of areas including ext corner plastic trims, where ext fibre glass roof panel meets alloy extrusion on the roof,plus through other fittings on the roof.Not to say leaks dont occur in ne vans as well!

Reactions: Crusty181

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It is an aftermarket light which is not uncommon but the masking around it is covering up either damage or marks from previous light, it does look like water damage, if its dry, isn't blackish or very soft it may be historic, have a look up top and see if silastic has been trowlled around the place trying to patch things up....
Check around windows, inside cupboards, roof top skirts and internal bed end walls for any other water damage.....
If your not into DiY and its a first van then I would possibly walk away as it can turn into a can of worms but if the roof looks tidy, no other signs of water ingress and it looks historic with a good price then it might be a goer, fly screens, state of canvas bed ends are also something that will suck dollars from you . Awning condition is also worthy of a good check, if the vinyl is a bit hard or brittle in places its getting old and they can be $600 to $1000 to replace. While not enough to turn off can be a good price bargaining point.