Disappointed with recent changes

Vere

Oct 5, 2014
Adelaide
Recently the site was updated and includes new forums like Motorcycles/Touring. We also gained “New Threads” and “New Replies”. While I am a big fan of this forum and the people who provide excellent information, I am now lost in the dark and for the most part will miss a large part of what people ask and information provided.

There was a “most liked” area on right and under that was another (name escapes me) which when you clicked it open up all topics discussed in time/date order. Every day I would use this to scroll through the last 24hrs and open topics of interest or topics that I may be able to provide information on. This is gone now. I don’t have time to open every individual forum area to look at every individual topic to see if changed.
:confused-87:

Reactions: Drover

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Nup it's all still there, there is some updates coming and still under construction, I'm sure @expanda will let us know everything once all the up grades have been completed,
Most have been carried out with minimal disruption to the forum

Oh! Don't think we need the motorcycle cycle section, though we do have member s with bikes so maybe useful.

Reactions: Drover

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Just click on "New Posts" it will show all the threads that you have not read.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I agree with the above observations @Vere, as I do read all posts, (I must admit I don't absorb all the info as, like you, some threads have no interest to me.) I just tap the "New Posts" icon and it lists all threads where there are posts I have not yet read. At this point you can scan the headings to see if it is of interest. After scanning and reading relevant posts you can tap the "Mark forums read" and this will then mark all forums you skipped as if you had read them, ready for a fresh start.

Reactions: expanda and dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
also @Vere in the top right hand corner, where there is a Flag - that is an alert for new posts to topics you have replied in

I'm not gunna bother with copying the page just to show you.....
if you click on the flag, it will open on all alerts to thread you have replied / answered / etc
even likes...........

Vere

Oct 5, 2014
Adelaide
also @Vere in the top right hand corner, where there is a Flag - that is an alert for new posts to topics you have replied in

I'm not gunna bother with copying the page just to show you.....
if you click on the flag, it will open on all alerts to thread you have replied / answered / etc
even likes...........
Thanks @bigcol - I do use that but only works for topics you have flagged to watch. The "New Posts" filled my missing hole :)

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Hey everyone thanks for helping out.

There was a module on the front right screen which showed -

1) A list of new threads
2) A link at the top of this list which took you to the the new posts page

I removed this module for a few reasons which are technical in nature but as every one has pointed out the link is at the top of the page. its always been there and this just was another way to access it but yes ill return the module you are talking about shortly.

There are a few other ways to keep up for example we also have -

http://expandasdownunder.com/spy

Which is another way to check in on things.

As an FYI this year in particular is going to be a big year for changes not just to the site but the software, design etc so its a good opportunity for us all to embrace change now vs later.

In terms of the new forums bikes etc., I have added these in based of comments I have seen across the site and also from the search results of the site but the site is dynamic so if people don't use it and the evidence I have seen is wrong then we will remove it or alternatively if people don't want it then we will remove it.

Hope that makes sense....

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi @expanda,
thanks for all the work you put into keeping this forum going. I am sure I am not the only one who enjoys using it, both for the content, but also for the great way the site is presented.

Since there are changes in the wind this year, I was wondering if you would consider the following change that I think would make the site even easier to use.

In the forum page, the page list and the navigation path are at both the top and the bottom of the page.
Would it be a lot of effort to put the quick links both at the top and the bottom of the page?

The reason is that I usually go to new posts, click on a thread and then read the thread. At that point, I am at the bottom of the page.
To get back to the new posts, for example, to read the other new posts, I then have to either scroll all the way back to the top or go to the top / bottom arrows on the left which still scrolls all the way back to the top.
This is what I am suggesting should also be at the bottom of the page:

Mark Forums Read Search Forums Watched Forums Watched Threads History New Posts Spy

Is it possible to provide some information on the changes that are planned to prepare people in advance and to get some useful feedback?

best wishes
Mike

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Hi @expanda,
thanks for all the work you put into keeping this forum going. I am sure I am not the only one who enjoys using it, both for the content, but also for the great way the site is presented.

Since there are changes in the wind this year, I was wondering if you would consider the following change that I think would make the site even easier to use.

In the forum page, the page list and the navigation path are at both the top and the bottom of the page.
Would it be a lot of effort to put the quick links both at the top and the bottom of the page?

The reason is that I usually go to new posts, click on a thread and then read the thread. At that point, I am at the bottom of the page.
To get back to the new posts, for example, to read the other new posts, I then have to either scroll all the way back to the top or go to the top / bottom arrows on the left which still scrolls all the way back to the top.
This is what I am suggesting should also be at the bottom of the page:

Mark Forums Read Search Forums Watched Forums Watched Threads History New Posts Spy

Is it possible to provide some information on the changes that are planned to prepare people in advance and to get some useful feedback?

best wishes
Mike

All will be revealed in due course as the appropriate times pop up.

As per your request I have added a "New Posts" option in the footer links, I would think this would be the most used and would try to avoid adding all those links in due to limited room.

If there is another of value let me know and I can add it in.

Again I just want to avoid sweeping statements of disappointment in changes we make unfortunately things will change, we will try and avoid disappointment and to consider everyone's needs but sometimes things will change but we are here to discuss changes when and if people need / have any concerns.

We are a community run forum but are flexible to everyone's needs where we can accommodate.

Last edited:

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
All will revealed in due course as the appropriate times pop up.

I have added a "New Posts" option in the footer links as requested, I would think this would be the most used and would try to avoid adding all those links in due to limited room.

Hi @expanda,
thanks for putting this in so quickly.

There is one issue. Clicking on 'New Posts' at the bottom of the page, opens up a new window. The one at the top just makes the jump in the same window.

many thanks
Mike

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Another vote of appreciation @expanda from me for the work and time involved as I know what you put up with having "been there and done" that with developing and upkeeping of web pages years ago!

My take on things is "It's not only the look and feel of the site.... It's more the content and members that make it what it is today".

Looking forward to see what is planned for 2017! Just one word of advise......... Keep things simple and easy to use for us "Oldies" 8-)