Electrical Diesel Heater won’t turn off

JoshH

Jun 28, 2020
Bargo
Hi everyone

I flicked the 12v switch on in the van the other day and to my surprise the diesel heater came on. It was just blowing cool.

it’s an eBay Chinese 2kw one. In for about a year and while only used twice

played around with it and looked at the controller and it looks as though it’s on, but in the cool down mode. The fuel pump is not clicking.

checked and rechecked all connections.

No error codes on the controller.

I read a suggestion that it may be the controller. I was able to borrow a working controller and tried that but same outcome.

Any thoughts on possible causes or has anyone had this before. Just want to check before I jump back on EBay and try again.

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
The combustion temperature sensor is either faulty or become dislodged in its mount. Found this on how to replace

It doesn't always give an error code like in this video but will show lots of heat bars in the display even when cold

JoshH

Jun 28, 2020
Bargo
Thanks for the links gents. I think the temp sensor might be the best bet. Ordered a replacement from China for $6 with 8 weeks shipping.

might go back to “roughing it” with a few extra blankets for our next trip in June.

JasminA

May 29, 2021
Sweden
Thanks for the links gents. I think the temp sensor might be the best bet. Ordered a replacement from China for $6 with 8 weeks shipping.

might go back to “roughing it” with a few extra blankets for our next trip in June.
Hi Josh,
Please notify me if this helps you since I have the same issue. It starts randomly, blowing cold air and can’t be turned off. Had to pull the fuse eventually or it will slowly suck the energy out of my battery. Cheers/ Jasmin

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Makes me glad mine is a dumb heater, totally analogue, an ON button, an OFF button and a 4 selection knob, with position 4 full noise and asking ground control for permission to take off, it fairly gets a howl up, nice and warm inside though.

Sparksy

Jul 25, 2020
Perth
Slightly off topic but Ive installed a NO 40 degree temperature switch mounted to heater inside housing and wired in parallel with the isolation switch for heater. What it does if the switch is accidently switched off before the heater has shut down or if its in operation , power is maintained until heater has cooled down. installed it when I replaced the control board that failed when heater was switched off at switch during operation.

Screenshot 2021-06-03 090833.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That's a good idea @Sparksy , Jaycar has them as well. I have fitted an isolation switch for mine so the circuit isn't live all the time.

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
Hi everyone

I flicked the 12v switch on in the van the other day and to my surprise the diesel heater came on. It was just blowing cool.

it’s an eBay Chinese 2kw one. In for about a year and while only used twice

played around with it and looked at the controller and it looks as though it’s on, but in the cool down mode. The fuel pump is not clicking.

checked and rechecked all connections.

No error codes on the controller.

I read a suggestion that it may be the controller. I was able to borrow a working controller and tried that but same outcome.

Any thoughts on possible causes or has anyone had this before. Just want to check before I jump back on EBay and try again.
HI JoshH
I have a cheapo Chinese heater and if I haven't ran it for a while, I find that I have to re-prime the pump and then start it again and away it goes.
PS I all so put a separate power switch in line so that I can turn off the power to the controller when I don't need the heater.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I run mine for 20 mins every month or 2 just to keep it sweet, if you have to re-prime I would be checking the fuel line connections, the pump should be lower than tank or heater, set at an angle so shouldn't be draining............