16' Series Considering 16.49.4

Andrewm

Dec 5, 2016
Perth
Hello Everyone,

I am considering a 2nd hand 16.49.4 (Jan 2016 build, OB) and I have a couple of questions I am hoping someone can help me with.

* Asking price is $42,5k. From what I can see it is fairly standard with not to many extra's. Just wall mounted aircon. New prices at the moment appear to be around 44k so $42k ish seems reasonable for a used once van ?

* I would have really liked a 2nd water tank, outdoor shower and water tank/battery monitor. How easy is it to get these added ? Would Jayco install these for me or is there a "ARB/TJM" equivalent for caravans !

Finally, I am still in 2 minds about whether its best to go for a 14foot bunk model or the 16 foot. We have 2 small kids and my preference is for the 14 foot due to smaller footprint to store/tow however wife is keen on being able to have more indoor space, beds etc. Other problem is 14foot models are in short supply (new wait time is 4 months).

Does the 16 foot 'feel' significantly bigger towing and inside ?

Thank you!!

Reactions: bigcol and Delano

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi Andrew
Water Tank, shower etc can be installed by numerous caravan installers depending where you are in Perth.
I personally think that if you are prepared to wait then you would get a brand spanking new one for the same price (Haggle Haggle)

I think the double end and bunks is overkill for the four of you (what will you use the bunks for ?)
My kids love having a shower in the van (oh and using the toilet just before jumping into bed)
How old are your kids?, both our kids sleep happily in the rear end double but i can see that when they get older they will want their own beds
but by then I think that my son will want his own tent (you know what happens to boys around pre teenage years)

Reactions: bigcol

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
As far as towing goes i'm not sure you would notice the difference between 14 and 16 ft but storage space you will
The 14 is tiny inside and if it is bad weather (Not that we really have that in WA) the extra 2 feet would be a godsend.

Be aware though make sure that your van is not the biggest out of the group you travel with as it becomes the kids party van
our is always overrun by the kids and their friends.

Reactions: bigcol

Ss--ss

Jun 16, 2014
Hills district, Sydney
We had a 14' with bunks & there were 5 of us. We didn't have any drama with space & we took it everywhere. I'd also be happy to get a 16' footer!! So I think whatever you can get with a good deal & options go for it..

Reactions: spiderpig

Crew family

Mar 26, 2016
Melbourne
We have a 10 and 8 year old, and recently upgraded from an Eagle to a new 14" Expanda Outback and can't believe how much extra storage space and room we have - so I suppose it's all relative. We did get the 2 water tanks, but not the hot water. Instead we've bought a Joolca HWS and shower tent to fit to the external gas bayonet, which saved us about $600. Though we do a bit of bush camping, I honestly don't know when we're ever going to be away from civilization long enough to need 160 litres, and it does add 160kg to the weight if you're travelling full.
It depends what type of camping you like to do. Our kids love the few days here and there of isolation, but crave the parks with other kids and amenities, so we need to mix it up.
Good luck with your search.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Asking price is $42,5k. From what I can see it is fairly standard with not to many extra's. Just wall mounted aircon. New prices at the moment appear to be around 44k so $42k ish seems reasonable for a used once van ?
Reasonable but if a private sale don't forget that the price is usually negotiable!

Does the 16 foot 'feel' significantly bigger towing and inside ?
Not sure about the difference between a 14' to the 16' for towing. We went from a 16' on road tourer to a 17' outback and yes there is a difference in towing due to the difference in weight!
As for a difference inside..... We did find that just that extra foot made it feel so much roomier and Mrs Dagree got a lot more storage araes ;)

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I have the 16.49.1 (2013)
easy as to tow
plenty of room - there is 3 of us (myself, SWMBO & Daughter who is handicapped)
some days would like more room - but then I think - maybe loose some weight ya fat sod, then sit down with a coffee and de-stress.............

as @Crew family said, the Joolca hot water system is a great idea - if you really need it
we boil the kettle for hot water to wash dishes, so a hot water system was never on our plans

and at a pinch, I have used the front tap to "hose" off the sand and crap before entering the Van

towing is easy - about the same (well, similar) to the Flamingo we had

just for the shear fact that kids grow, I would go for the 16' before the 14' - my preference

Delano

Apr 27, 2014
North west Melbourne
Welcome @Andrewm.
I've got a 2014 16-49-4 touring with outdoor shower and hws.
We originally towed it with an xtrail with no probs except when going up hill.

But as far as stability goes , no probs.

We've now upgraded to a 2015 3.5lt Td Jeep and I've gotta keep looking in the
Mirrors now to make sure it's still there.
We've got 3 kids but only 1 still at home 15 yo girl.
We originally bought the bunk model so our boys or Grandkids could fit.
But my daughter regularly brings a couple of girlfriends .

We did a trip to Townsville this year and we kept the bottom bunk set up
So that when we stopped I could have a rest without dropping the ends down.

If buying new I would definitely recommend the hws and outdoor shower.
We have the rooftop ac . I got Jayco to move the microwave to where the
Wall mount ac would've been and turned the spot above the fridge into a cupboard
We use that for food cupboard .
Any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
Hi Andrew
Water Tank, shower etc can be installed by numerous caravan installers depending where you are in Perth.
I personally think that if you are prepared to wait then you would get a brand spanking new one for the same price (Haggle Haggle)

I think the double end and bunks is overkill for the four of you (what will you use the bunks for ?)
My kids love having a shower in the van (oh and using the toilet just before jumping into bed)
How old are your kids?, both our kids sleep happily in the rear end double but i can see that when they get older they will want their own beds
but by then I think that my son will want his own tent (you know what happens to boys around pre teenage years)

Agree with above, -4 is overkill. I'd go with the 16.49-3 (ensuite van), the 2 foot extra space is noticeable and the showering when ever you want to and not wait at communal blocks is so much better, not to mention your own toilet (#1s of course only).

Pace.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

willobee

Apr 8, 2015
Perth
Hi andrew,
We have a 16.49.4 outback and find it great for our 3 small kids and the wife and I.
It is our first van after many years of camping in tents.
We didnt entertain the 14 as it was just a bit small.
We dont often find ourselves tripping over each other in the 16.

Bunks work well and when youarent using the top one it is a great place to put kids clothes and bags.

We have external shower and built in HWS.
If you are off grid like we like to do a second water tank is a godsend.
I am in two minds whether I need the second gas bottle but I am sure it will be handy the day I forget to fill bottle 1.
Recent 3 week trip with a whole week off grid and we didnt finish one bottle let alone two.

We use the pop up tent for shower on the side of the van and have no problems, even packing it up I have sort of worked out an easyish way.
We have a portable toilet that sits on the floor up the back, though we are having thoughts about a double shower tent and moving it outside when set uo for longer. 3 daughters and the wife very much appreciate not having to go outsidecat the monent though

Most caravan shops could fit tank and hws, or if you are handy you might consider it a project.
Price is ok for a once used van, but take into account the options you will want to fit.
We waited about 4 or 5 months for our new van but we got everything we wanted for not a lot more.
At being said the price does sound good.

We looked at the 17' but it went over what the prado could tow so 16 it was. That being said we love our van and can only see us changing if with 5 of us we out grew it. But the wife also knows this means a new car too.

In short I would think 14 with a family would be tight
Accessories can almost always be fitted, and often yourself
Go with your gut feel its often right
Kind regards
Will

KECL

Aug 16, 2016
Secret Harbour WA
Hi Andrewm,

Similar to bigcol we have a 16.49-1 and find the room excellent. I'll admit we do not go off-road or free camping so did not worry about the shower/hws/toilet. Prior to Expanda we a had Flamingo which was very easy to tow; the Expanda has a little more wind resistance (as you would expect), however it tows easily behind our Prado. I just kept looking on Gumtree and other sites and inspect many Vans before buying the Expanda second hand but in good condition and it only cost $33k and less than 2-years old. Bargains are out there so if you have time keep looking.
Cheers,
KECL

Reactions: Delano and bigcol