18' Series Caravan Tyres

Disco Duck

Dec 8, 2017
Adelaide South Australia
I've had a quick look but can't find any thread on the best tyres to use on your van
We have the 18ft Expanda and It needs some new tyres on it.
Currently looking at Firestone – Destination A/T (235/75R15) 109 S
Has anyone had any experiences with these tyres?
What are your recommondations ?

I am looking for an A/T light truck tyre for use on bitumen as well as dirt

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
What about the Yokohama GEOLANDAR A/T G015. Is available in LT spec aswell. Can be found on tyresales at a good price if you buy 4 of them. But you'd need to somehow specify light truck spec.

Falken WILDPEAK AT3W
Bridgestone DUELER A/T 697

Anything above a load index of 105

Last edited:
Reactions: Disco Duck

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
You have to remember you don't want a luggy tyre, your van wheels are not driven and a luggy tyre will just wear more and increases drag, a non aggressive AT or HT in LT tyre is good, preferably of a well known brand as unlike your tugs, these tyres sit around a lot so you want the best life in time as well as road use....... New vans mostly have tyres for Bling appeal so they go for something that looks like a great rock chucker but does nothing for the on road performance of the van dirt or tar.........
I have found Firestone to be a soft tyre though never had any on a van just a vehicle, Bridgestones have given good life along with Kumho and at present Big Mal has Geolanders fitted, with 265 70 16 wheels they were a bargain at 4 pay for 3, they are an excellant tyre, they will run out of time before the tread, I have them on the Jeep as well...
With dual axle a LR of 108 or more is ok and with a single axle you want something that is about 30% more than the ATM I reckon they carry more load than a dual axle rig........

You might be able to escape soon @Disco Duck

Disco Duck

Dec 8, 2017
Adelaide South Australia
Thanks Brente and Drover. Yep so I reckon we are down to the Yoko's or Firestone. Of course the problem is that Bridgestones are good too.
Decisions, decisions,!!!
Thanks for your help boys.
Appreciate your time

Last edited:

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
There's nothing wrong with the standard tyres that come on the outback jayco vans these days is there? You can buy them through tyre places?

Disco Duck

Dec 8, 2017
Adelaide South Australia
I did think about that Brente but decided to be different and I don't think I got very good mileage out of the originals. They were on the van when I bought it (secondhand) and they seem to have gone down pretty quickly. So we'll have a go at something else and see how that fares.
Their time is definitely up. Been on there for twelve plus years.

Thank you Rags..............trying to confuse me now !! A choice of any more than two is just not fair :) But thanks, I'll have a look there too.

rags

rags

No definitely the at3's, have seen them on 2020 models vans at dealers. Maybe they make both but jayco out the 3's in their vans

Ah like these ones, https://www.tyrereview.com.au/toyo-open-country-atiii-breaks-cover
If they are an improvement over the AT2 they will be a good tyre. As I say, I run them on the van and also the Prado all in an LT construction and they are a great tyre. A mate is on his second set after running the 1st set for around a 100th km including 2 cape trips and the Vic high country. He also is running them on his custom build double axel van.

it is a worry though if Jayco are using them in 2020 as that means they are now a cheap tyre. Funny I dropped into Jayco Brisbane yesterday but didn’t take notice of the tyres fitted.

Middo

Apr 25, 2014
Brisbane
Our tyres on the single axle van are 215/70R15C. Over 6 years old and don’t want to take the risk on our trip to Canberra when the border opens. All the talk of tyres gives me a headache. Have been quoted $260 a tyre for Bridgestone .

Disco Duck

Dec 8, 2017
Adelaide South Australia
I ordered the Firestones through Bridgestone. They have to order from interstate. Should be here by Tuesday or Wednesday.
Buy three, get the fourth free. I like that !!
$550.00 for the four, fitted, balanced and old tyres removed. Not too bad for A/T tyres
We'll see how they go. I will let you know.

The big escape is hopefully getting closer Mr. Drover, although these protest marches might set things back a little ??

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
They should do the trick, fiddle with the pressures till you get it right....I like the price for sure.................. The protest only slow you down if you stop...

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It pays to check the load psi ratings on the tyre as some max out at 40psi and others can go to 80 psi, its not a one size fits all, but often 35/40 psi is a good place to start, check them once they get warmed up, ideal pressure is 4-6psi above cold, cold being around 25 deg ambient, in colder weather it may not rise very much, thats how I do it and how it feels, the pooppy valve soon tells you when its too far out........