Caravan construction methods

rags

Interesting article discussing the trend towards more composite types of caravan construction, the benefits and disadvantage.
I do wonder about the life span of the glues used in the construction of modern vans.

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Everything from cars , buses,trains ,planes now using composites in one form or another.However a guy I know in the caravan repair industry has seen adhesive failures on a number of near new composite vans.In most cases he reckons lack of enough adhesive on alloy frames etc one of the main causes.He also said black and dark cloured vans can expand and contract a lot which some adhesives can not cope with.

Reactions: Boots in Action

rags

I was at the recent Brisbane 4wd show where the van manufacturer Van Cruisers had a display. Their vans having a timber frame and composite panels had lots of small headed screws (PK screws) visible.
Speaking with the company representative he said it was to provide additional fixings in addition to the glues as they have seen issues of “buckling” of panels, largely due to inherent expansion rates of aluminium.

KECL

Aug 16, 2016
Secret Harbour WA
I recently visited a Crusader Caravan outlet in WA (Guildford) and they advised that their vans have a single piece composite roof (they have had this for awhile) but all new orders will have composite side panels as well.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Once the silly season kicks back into gear again around here, bound to see one launch into the pine forest so will be able to see how they hold up, have at least one each year turn inside out.

Had a small part of a panel bow out on Big Mal, tin wall on alloy frame, so it became my position of choice to put an alloy tube to hold my mobile broadband aerial, a look at it while the hail repairs were being done showed the glue was minimal in that section and had let go, fella said the glue needs to be able to flex, too much it will fail just as too little .... the opposite side which didn't get taken off has a sail track for the awning so rivets hold in place but I have had to replace a couple of them......