18' Series Calling all Expandas with Washing machines!

scotta

Jul 13, 2019
Windsor NSW
Good afternoon all, I have a 2018 Expanda Pop Top 17:56.2 that we wanted to install a Sphere washing machine into the small cupboard just inside the door to the left as sometimes found in the larger full size expanda vans. I have been able to modify the cabinet height by adding a plinth so that the cabinet now accommodates the 2.3kg washing machine. The difficulty I am now having is trying to purchase a new "Bi Fold" top to suit. I have tried to deal with two different Jayco dealerships who on average want to charge about $700 to $800 for the bi fold counter top but I cannot get them to confirm the actual dimensions of the replacement top. Obviously I don't want to fork out $700 odd dollars to find the replacement top doesn't fit. Is there possibly anyone on the forum who has an expanda with a washing machine i nthe cupboard next to the door that would be willing to take some measurement's for me, preferably with a counter top in the colour "Furlo"?

Washer.jpg

This is the top im chasing dimensions for.

Washer top.jpg

Many thanks!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Not many takers so far ............

How about just hinging the original bench top so that it lifts up instead of stuffing around with a bi-fold door ??? Could add a small ram to hold it up, in my rig the washing machine access is by just lifting the whole section of bench top and doesn't cause any drama..... In yours I would add a brace across the back to anchor a decent piano hinge too and once I removed the lock tabs things I would just run a bit of foam tape over the exposed timber ends for the lid to sit on when closed...... of course it would only work if there is enough room for the thing to lift up............ otherwise to make your own bi-fold draw the opening on the OE bench top, if you haven't done it before then its not really a DiY job, go to a wood butchers and they should be able to cut it out for you without stuffing up the surface..... precision is paramount......... a competent cabinet maker would be able to do it easy peasy and laminate the edges.....be a pain but hey.......... I wouldn't be chasing up a dealer, they would just give you dumb looks.

scotta

Jul 13, 2019
Windsor NSW
Not many takers so far ............

How about just hinging the original bench top so that it lifts up instead of stuffing around with a bi-fold door ??? Could add a small ram to hold it up, in my rig the washing machine access is by just lifting the whole section of bench top and doesn't cause any drama..... In yours I would add a brace across the back to anchor a decent piano hinge too and once I removed the lock tabs things I would just run a bit of foam tape over the exposed timber ends for the lid to sit on when closed...... of course it would only work if there is enough room for the thing to lift up............ otherwise to make your own bi-fold draw the opening on the OE bench top, if you haven't done it before then its not really a DiY job, go to a wood butchers and they should be able to cut it out for you without stuffing up the surface..... precision is paramount......... a competent cabinet maker would be able to do it easy peasy and laminate the edges.....be a pain but hey.......... I wouldn't be chasing up a dealer, they would just give you dumb looks.
HI Drover thanks for the reply. I really want to keep the top matching the rest of the counter tops in the van. The top also provides some stability to the actual cabinet so I cant easily hinge it as suggested. I will keep on searching and hopefully someone may get back to me. Thanks for the suggestions anyway!

Reactions: Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
How about bracing the cabinet internally, and cutting the original top to take out the lid section leaving a "U" shaped top, the centre becoming the bi-fold lid. My bi-fold is hinged at the rear and the 2 x small hinges screwed directly onto the top of the benchtop and lid. The lid fold is piano hinged underneath. The internal top edges are dark tinted to sort of divert attention from the foam that fills the benchtops

Screenshot_20210828-220411_QuickPic.jpg

scotta

Jul 13, 2019
Windsor NSW
How about bracing the cabinet internally, and cutting the original top to take out the lid section leaving a "U" shaped top, the centre becoming the bi-fold lid. My bi-fold is hinged at the rear and the 2 x small hinges screwed directly onto the top of the benchtop and lid. The lid fold is piano hinged underneath. The internal top edges are dark tinted to sort of divert attention from the foam that fills the benchtops

View attachment 67432
Hi Crusty, Good idea but I would like to keep my original cupboard top so if I go to upgrade or sell I can return it to standard. I would never have thought it would be so hard just to buy a replacement top!

Reactions: Crusty181

scotta

Jul 13, 2019
Windsor NSW
For those interested, after many months of buggering around with different Jayco outlets I ordered just the bi-fold lid at a cost of $232. It took a month to order in and finally arrived today. My only option at the end of the day was to modify my existing benchtop which I really did not want to do. As usual when you buy the bi-fold it is just the lid so you will also need two hinges and the folding d handle. Anywho here's some photos of the progress,

20211127_174003.jpg
20211127_175836.jpg

20211127_192503 - Copy.jpg

I'm really happy with how neat It turned out considering it was done with a jigsaw. Tomorrow I will start with the plumbing and the refit of the cabinet

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
For those interested, after many months of buggering around with different Jayco outlets I ordered just the bi-fold lid at a cost of $232. It took a month to order in and finally arrived today. My only option at the end of the day was to modify my existing benchtop which I really did not want to do. As usual when you buy the bi-fold it is just the lid so you will also need two hinges and the folding d handle. Anywho here's some photos of the progress,

View attachment 67850View attachment 67851

View attachment 67852

I'm really happy with how neat It turned out considering it was done with a jigsaw. Tomorrow I will start with the plumbing and the refit of the cabinet
Looks good and congrats on your perseverance too @scotta.