Electrical Brake controller orientation

Roadhouse

Mar 12, 2019
Lake Macquarie
Hey all. Brake controller orientation...

Moving the control unit in the cab to a new spot and had it mounted flat (horizontally) previously with arrows pointing forwards/backwards and was fine

Need to mount vertically now in new spot so presume arrows are ok pointing up and down?

Guessing only no-no is if arrows pointed side to side?

5E34FD86-A4F9-4C90-A759-22BEBE2DF1F0.jpeg

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hey all. Brake controller orientation...

Moving the control unit in the cab to a new spot and had it mounted flat (horizontally) previously with arrows pointing forwards/backwards and was fine

Need to mount vertically now in new spot so presume arrows are ok pointing up and down?

Guessing only no-no is if arrows pointed side to side?

View attachment 66352

Hi @Roadhouse , I am no expert on brake controllers of many types, but I do believe that the sensor (that blue piece in picture) needs to be placed as flat as possible AND according to the markings on sensor with arrows facing the direction of travel. From what I understand, it has something to do with measuring the inertia of vehicle and adjusting the braking power accordingly. If it is fitted vertically, it would only work if you were blasting off in a rocket or coming in for a crash landing and wanted the air brakes on!! Seriously though, there will be others on this forum to provide an accurate. The positioning of the actual controller in the cabin is not so important with my Red Arc unit.

By the way, how did you go with your van fridge running on 240 volts?? We are all still waiting for the final chapter on that story!!!

Reactions: Roadhouse

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It can be mounted horizontal or vertical, not at an angle and the arrows must be fore an aft........................... Depending on your vehicle it may not be wise to wire it up to the brake light switch on the pedal but to the brake light wire in your tow harness as the pedal switch is just a low voltage indicator to the vehicle computer and any connection to this circuit or direct to a light circuit will throw a fault code.

Attachments

• 05550 Manual .pdf
    931.5 KB · Views: 286

Roadhouse

Mar 12, 2019
Lake Macquarie
It can be mounted horizontal or vertical, not at an angle and the arrows must be fore an aft........................... Depending on your vehicle it may not be wise to wire it up to the brake light switch on the pedal but to the brake light wire in your tow harness as the pedal switch is just a low voltage indicator to the vehicle computer and any connection to this circuit or direct to a light circuit will throw a fault code.
Thanks mate. Mine is the 6000 model and it had a diagram In the manuallas per pic that seemed confusing initially but makes perfect sense now!
A443DFF3-CAD0-438E-BF33-996A6656577A.jpeg

Thanks as always for the assistance.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi @Roadhouse , I am no expert on brake controllers of many types, but I do believe that the sensor (that blue piece in picture) needs to be placed as flat as possible AND according to the markings on sensor with arrows facing the direction of travel. From what I understand, it has something to do with measuring the inertia of vehicle and adjusting the braking power accordingly. If it is fitted vertically, it would only work if you were blasting off in a rocket or coming in for a crash landing and wanted the air brakes on!! Seriously though, there will be others on this forum to provide an accurate. The positioning of the actual controller in the cabin is not so important with my Red Arc unit.

By the way, how did you go with your van fridge running on 240 volts?? We are all still waiting for the final chapter on that story!!!
The old ones are as you predicted Boots, like a set of agates dangling inside the box. The newer controllers particularly the Redarc Towpro you can mount in any orientation whatsoever including backwards on an angle and it works out for itself which direction is forward with no input from you. Very clever (although I didnt like the Tow pro, still clever)

My Tekonsha has to be flat E/W but can pitch up and down N/S

Reactions: Boots in Action

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just had a squiz at that manual, yep need to read it not just the pics or yu could stuff up...think they would put the model on the box not just a generic label.............

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
The old ones are as you predicted Boots, like a set of agates dangling inside the box. The newer controllers particularly the Redarc Towpro you can mount in any orientation whatsoever including backwards on an angle and it works out for itself which direction is forward with no input from you. Very clever (although I didnt like the Tow pro, still clever)

My Tekonsha has to be flat E/W but can pitch up and down N/S
Thanks @Crusty181 for that explanation. My Daughter has the earlier one, but mine is the Red Arc TowPro. Usually set on Auto setting where van braking is proportional to tug braking, so great for normal use on the road. Can be easily changed on the run to manual, increasing or decreasing the braking of the van regardless of tug braking. Very handy if descending a steep hill with loose surface so you keep the van dragging BEHIND you. It is very frightening to have the van saying "hello" to you as it comes alongside your tug going down the hill!!!

Reactions: Crusty181